Dealer checkup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

We pick up our 5th wheel in 4 weeks. It is a used unit stored at the dealer that originally sold it.

What should we have the dealer check before come get it (8hrs away) ?

We want it de-winterized, propane filled, the heating, hot water and, in general the water systems checked.

We want the wheels pulled, bearings checked or replaced, spring shackles checked, brakes checked.

What are we missing?

thanks

We pick up our 5th wheel in 4 weeks. It is a used unit stored at the dealer that originally sold it.

We want it de-winterized, propane filled, the heating, hot water and, in general the water systems checked.

We want the wheels pulled, bearings checked or replaced, spring shackles checked, brakes checked.

What are we missing?

thanks
A stocked fridge would be nice. :sneaky:

What are we missing?

thanks
How old are the tires?
Check tire pressure for sure. Then you double check.

A friend of mine bought a used 5’er from a dealer in IA. 150 miles later, on his way to CO, a tire blew taking out his tank dump drain and lots of associated plumbing. He never checked the tires...

Tire age/condition/psis & battery(s), but an RV dealer isn't often a reliable judge of those. Whether they respond pro or con, take it with several grains of salt. Plus you can usually buy better tires & batteries for less elsewhere. Almost any "elsewhere". If the tires & batteries look good enough to get home, I'd do my shopping later. However, if you are just going to take it to a different dealer, you may as well get it done before moving.

Consider hiring a mobile RV mechanic to spend 1-2 hours checking it out. It will be an independent view and probably cheaper way to get things fixed if needed. Can you spend a couple days there? Take it to a campsite, have a mobile tech come check, and familiarize your self too. Better plan than a quick-turnaround trip.

The RV inspector said I should plan on replacing the tires soonish but not immediately. I have talked to my tire shop for this fall. After I get it home, it only moves 3 times in mid New Hampshire through Aug.

I have the battery at home on a tender.

The tires are from 2016 if I read the codes right. They have 15k miles on them.

Since the unit was winterized when inspected, the water system has not been checked.

I am going to ask the dealer to give us the new owner orientation since they are a Grand Design dealer. Heck, when we were there to check out our unit, there were 2 more brand new units of the same model on the lot (in December).

My brother just bought a used TT and it is in dealer prep. The asked him if he wanted the wheel bearings repacked. He said no and checked with me. I agreed. Their "prep" is pretty much a liability check. They don't even inspect the used inventory until it sells.

What if the dealer finds something? Well you pay for the repacking and you might get to buy new bearings.

We are gonna pull the wheels and repack them ourselves.

The point is that if you are handy you don't want the dealer poking around in "maintenance" items you can do yourself.

If you are not a do it yourselfer then you may as well get used to paying dealer prices now - LOL...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom