Dealer Quote - Is This Correct ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi All,

In the process of trying to narrow down our choice of dealers from which to buy our new Pusher, I received the following statement :-

"All new motorhomes here are 102" wide and weight between 26,000 and 33,000 pounds which is 13 tons to 16.5 tons."

I was asking some details about buying a 36'-38' Diesel Pusher, to tour the US and then import into the UK.

Surely not all DPs of this length are 102" wide ??

Are they all over 26,000 lbs (13 tonnes) ??

Also, is there any way of finding length, width, weight, height, internal height details without having to look at every model, one at a time - for instance, are all Gulf Streams the same width ?, do all Fleetwoods have the same internal height (I am 6'3"), etc, etc.

Many Thanks Everyone

Paul

I don't know of any manufacturer making diesel pushers models that aren't 102" wide.? The GVW of 26,000 lbs. and up is because that's the ratings of the chassis used for this style of motorhome.

All of the major manufacturers have web sites where you can view the specifications of the various models.

Thanks for the quick reply Ned.

I had a quick look at Monaco (Diplomat) and that is 100.5"

The problem I have is that (legally) it must be less than 100" wide for me to drive it in the UK

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

The only sure way to answer your question is to check the specs of the model(s) you're interested in online &/or obtain a brochure. It took me just a few minutes to check out Fleetwood specs at http://www.fleetwoodrv.com although a few models didn't include all specs.

Most Fleetwood DPs seem to be spec'd at 101" or 102", but remember that this doesn't include awnings or mirrors (the mirrors can be folded/rotated inwards).

Weight will be a function of some of the options such as slideouts, but I suspect that 26,000lbs (11,.800 Kg) will be on the low end for a 38-40 foot DP.

Interior height was 84" for several models, and others weren't spec'd.

The specs of Gulf Stream DP models are also easy to check at http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com  They show 100-101" and 80" for width and interior height of several models.

Is there some limitation on width and weight for shipping &/or importation?
Just saw your response to Ned.

UK-RV said:
Thanks for the quick reply Ned.

I had a quick look at Monaco (Diplomat) and that is 100.5"

The problem I have is that (legally) it must be less than 100" wide for me to drive it in the UK

Thanks

Paul

FYI
Many states can not be driven legally here because of dimensions but most owners do drive them in ignorant bliss of the laws or choosing to ignore. The RVIA has been pushing a bill in all states to get uniform laws for width, combination length and to exempt appurtenances. So far 42 states have passed laws covering all three. Others. except NJ, have passed one or more of the dimensions. NJ has not addressed any.

Leo

UK laws are somewhat different, and his DP will be a lot more prominent on some of the narrow roads there  :)  But we know a number of folks who have bought coaches here and shipped them to the UK. I wonder if HM Customs and Exise check the dimensions at the time of arrival; It would be an expensive mistake if they didn't allow a coach to be imported after it had crossed the Atlantic  :'(

It would also be interesting to know the width of buses in the UK, given the legal width restriction.

UK-RV said:
Hi All,

Surely not all DPs of this length are 102" wide ??

Are they all over 26,000 lbs (13 tonnes) ??

Short of spending a lot of time on the web reading model specs I don't tihnk so, you could try E-mailling the various manafacturers

My Damon is 106" wide per the spec sheet and fully loaded, it's 13 ton with a 15 ton max GVCR, My towed is 2 ton so I"m good to tow)

I kind of wish it was only 102... Those extra 4 inches are a lot to get used to

John,

If your Damon is 106" wide I don't think there is anywhere in the US or Canada you can legally drive it without over width permits.  I think the maximum allowable width is 102" and NJ don't even allow that.  Maybe the mirrors are included in that width.  Mirrors are not normally included in vehicle width since they are considered a safety item.

Ron said:
John,

If your Damon is 106" wide I don't think there is anywhere in the US or Canada you can legally drive it without over width permits.? I think the maximum allowable width is 102" and NJ don't even allow that.? Maybe the mirrors are included in that width.? Mirrors are not normally included in vehicle width since they are considered a safety item.

The Damon web site lists them as being 101"

Tom said:
Leo

UK laws are somewhat different, and his DP will be a lot more prominent on some of the narrow roads there? :)? But we know a number of folks who have bought coaches here and shipped them to the UK. I wonder if HM Customs and Exise check the dimensions at the time of arrival; It would be an expensive mistake if they didn't allow a coach to be imported after it had crossed the Atlantic? :'(

It would also be interesting to know the width of buses in the UK, given the legal width restriction.

I've spent a lot of time driving in Europe and the UK plus Scottland to both Cummins and FMC plants so I know what you mean by them being more prominent. :D

Blueblood

Do you know what the dimensions are that have been agreed by the majority of states ?

Tom

My point exactly re importing into the UK - I dont even think I would want to take a chance and import an RV 100.5" wide - with my luck that extra 1/2 inch (above UK legal) would result in me having to ship it straight back to the US again or use the RV on a static site in the UK.

Concerning the RVs in the UK :-

There are more and more of them appearing on our roads - even with fuel at nearly $7 a gallon.

We know we can buy in the US, do our tour, import to UK, convert electrics etc - and sell for nearly what we paid for it !

Here are a few examples of prices at a local dealer to me (ive converted to USD at 1.78 USD to 1 GBP) :-

2005 Charleston 400QS 39ft NEW - $297,000

2005 R-Vision Trail-Aire 351 Silhouette NEW - $167,000

2005 Forest River Georgetown 370TS NEW - $167,000

2005 Trail-Lite 271 29ft NEW - $121,000

2004 Georgie Boy Landau 25ft USED 5600 Miles - $117,000

2004 Forest River Georgetown 306s 32ft USED no mileage stated (that means high!) - $107,000

2001 Tiffin Allegro 32ft USED 17,000 km - $107,000

1999 Georgie Boy Landau 33ft USED 14,000 miles - $98,000

1997 Tiffin Allegro 33ft USED 33ft 40,000 km - $80,000

Anybody care to give some US price comparisions ?? (obviously I havent been able to list every fixture and fitting)

An example :-

2005 Forest River Georgetown 370TS NEW - $167,000 (?94,000 at a UK dealer)

US = $88,000 (was at www.sherryrvs.com)
Sales Tax (6%?) = $5,000
Shipping = $6,000
VAT (17.5%) = $17,000
Import Duty (10%) = $10,000
Conversion = $4,000

Total = $130,000

Saving = $37,000 or ?20,000 GBP

If we can avoid paying any VAT and Import Duty on our return to the UK (we are waiting for reply from HM Customs), we will save a further $27,000 (?15,000).

Thats $64,000 for us to spend during our year touring the US and Canada - and hopefully it wont have cost us a thing when we sell in the UK

Paul,

Having to pay VAT and import duty after you've already paid sales tax here is like triple taxation! Presumably, the VAT is levied because it's something brought in from outside the EU. But why import duty on top of that, or vice versa? Please let us know the outcome of your discussions with HM Customs.

Paul,

Just out of curiosity, do you have a place to store the big beast when you get it there? What about campgrounds in the UK? Can/do they accomodate something that big and what hookups do they provide (electricity, water, sewer)?

Hi Tom

The situation with the VAT and Import Duty is causing no end of hassle.

I will let you know how we get on - its not looking too promising at the moment, but for that type of saving Im going to give it a bloody good try.

Regarding sites in the UK - there are some sites that can handle the size - in fact, as we are in Somerset there are probably a dozen within 1hr to 6hrs drive.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Any web sites you can refer me to for those campsites?

Things have come a long way since my parents dragged their Astral caravan around the UK with a 1200cc Ford Cortina. Many "campgrounds" were nothing more than a farmer's field, and you just pulled in and staked out your small piece of land. If you were lucky there was a water tap in one corner of the field and you got to lug water containers back to the van.

Tom

This is the quickest one I found - scroll down a bit and you will find a few : http://www.arvm.uk.com/sites.php

Paul

Thanks Paul. My luck - the first one I tried is no longer valid  :)  I'll keep looking.

Paul,

So how did you end up comfortable with importing a 102" (plus awning?) into the UK? Legal width is 100.4", excluding mirrors but INCluding awnings.

Plan to do the same as you in a few years' time.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom