Dear John (From Detroit)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terier

Hi,

I think you might be my new best friend.  Based on the posts I have read you really seem to know the Galaxy phone pretty well.  I just got the Galaxy S-III from T-Mobile and trying to figure it out.  The Galaxy owner manual sucks and even makes the RV manual look good.  The downside was ordering via telephone so I missed out on the instructional bit in store but ended up going to a location to find out some of the basic tasks.

If you don't mind I do have several questions to ask:

Q1
I have several email accounts including one work account that is sync to my phone.  Is there a way to delete messages in my work account off my phone only but keep them on my work computer?  This was possible with my beloved BlackBerry.  I think the problem might be with my work server setup.

Q2
Is there a setting to that will turn the phone on and off at a preset time?  I love this option with my BB.

Q3
Is there a setting for the bluetooth to only come on when the ear piece is on?  The battery doesn't last long with this phone even with the battery powerskin (second battery). 

Thanks,
Terier

First,, There are several different Galaxy S-3's depending on the service you use, Since I'm a T-mobile customer mine is a T-999.. You can go to the Samsung web site and download a very good manual for the phone by entering the model number, Said number will be under the battery or on the box.

Now,,, Alas,, I do not know how to acomplish the features you wish to use, I keep my phone on all the time, If I wish to leave mail on the server I simply do not delete it, I use the "Clearl" button on the notifications.  NEW messages in the inbox are highlighted (unread I should say) ... You can also move to folder, but alas, on the phone there are limited choices on the folders.. I've yet to figure out where it puts my G-Mail.. I only have two accounts synced. 

The timer functions are not things I have ever tried.  The only Time function I use is the alarm clock.

IF you want to post the precise model I can go see if I can look up the real PDF manual for you but you should be able to find it.

Terier, if your email server supports IMAP, set the account up on the phone to use that.  IMAP leaves all messages on the server while letting you read and write emails on the phone.

Not sure where my previous reply went so I'm giving this another try.

According to our IT guy if I delete email from the phone it will also delete it from the computer because of IMAP.

I also have the T-999 but having trouble finding the right manual.  Just re-read to go to Samsung web site so I will try that.

Thanks guys for your help!

According to our IT guy if I delete email from the phone it will also delete it from the computer because of IMAP.

Yep, that's the way IMAP works.  With IMAP, the email doesn't really exist on the phone but only on the server.  You are really operating on the emails on the server, just like a web mail service.

For the nitpickers, you can use IMAP to download copies of emails from an IMAP server, but that's not relevant here.

That T-999 PDF from Samsung sure beats the .. Stuffing.. Out of the one they put in the box. That's for sure.

What i do by the way with mail I want to leave on the server is just read it. The phone is very clear as to what E-Mails I have and have not read.. The "new" ones (Not yet read) are highlighted.  So after reading I tap the back arrow at the top left corner of the screen to go back to the index or hit the HOME key and force end the E-mail.

Handy application is one called "App Monitor" (Or Application Monitor) this is a Widget that goes on your home page, it will show a number (Number of open apps) tap it and it goes straight to task manager (Same as if you hold the home button, then choose task manager from the options there). Very handy.

There are also the following Apps you might fine interesting (Some are Amazon, Some Samsung, Some both)

Compass (Assorted versions)
Barometer
GPS INFO (Alas it gives your address, not Lat & Long I'd rather have both)
Sensor Metrics (Read out on every sensor in the phone)
Speedometer
Water Level (This is a "Square" bubble level very handy for RVers since it gives all way level,, I calibrated mine by setting the phone on top of a pool table).
Live-365 (www.live365.com)  A radio application I like better than SlackerRadio)

and of course the big one KINDLE FOR ANDROID!!! (www.amazon.com/kindle if I'm not mistaken)  I truly love it in kindle mode.

Gary RV Roamer said:
My [android] phone email software has a setting to tell it whether to leave mail on server or delete. I have mine set to always leave it.

Is that an opion for the Galaxay & IMAP?

For the previous posts - the warranty manual was much bigger than the owner manual.  "Stuffing" was a nice word to use but there are more letters in that word than details in the booklet.

Thanks for the apps suggestions.  I did find one bubble level but going to check out the one you suggested.

Now to figure out my calendar and how to add personal appts.  The calendar is currently sync with my work calendar. I might need to add a second calendar for personal stuff since I rather it wasn't on my work calendar.  Currently I'm still using my beloved BB for scheduling events but I rather not carry two phones.

Is that an opion for the Galaxay & IMAP?

No option needed for IMAP, that's how IMAP works.  All messages stay on the server.  Some IMAP clients will allow copying selected messages to the client, but that's not normally done.  For a POP3 server, there is usually an option to leave the messages on the server so you can only download them to one client yet still access them from other clients.  Today, many mail servers support both POP3 and IMAP to the same messages.

I know the way I have mine configured on G-Mail if I delete it goes into a special folder (IMAP/Trash) not the regular Trash folder

On Yahoo it just goes.

Which is exactly what I want it to do.  But you want differently so I do not recall any setting,  But if you hit the menu key and check options,  You might find one, I simply do not know.

Back
Top Bottom