Death Valley Flowers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Yesterday we took a drive from Inyokern to Death Valley, a trip of 280 miles round trip. It was a lovely day and the drive was spectacular. We drove past Searles Lake where they mine Trona, in the town of Trona, which is processed into soda ash. This is used to make glass. This is only one of a dozen products made in Trona. The town itself is very small with many abandoned, run down buildings. American Chemical has three plants operating in this small valley.

From there we crossed the Argus mountains into the Panamint Valley. There is an abandoned mining town which has a few old buildings, a caretaker, and not much else. At the end of the valley we climbed the Panamint mountains which topped out over 4900'. I would not want to make this climb in our coach though we saw many coming from Death Valley.

Death Valley certainly has it's share of flowers though most of them are the yellow Desert Gold with a few white and purple flowers mixed in. At the visitor's center we saw a Desert Five-Spot flower. I have attached a photo of this magnificent plant. Small but extremely pretty. There was yellow everywhere we looked but I must admit we have seen more variety in other locations. There were also a lot of visitors since it was Sunday. I wish we could have done it on a weekday. :)

I hope you enjoy the attached photos.

Attachments

• Death Valley Vista (Small).jpg
    Death Valley Vista (Small).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Desert Five-Spot (Small).jpg
    Desert Five-Spot (Small).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Desert Gold (Small).jpg
    Desert Gold (Small).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Mojave Desertstar (Small).jpg
    Mojave Desertstar (Small).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 26
Lovely pics, Jim.  Death Valley looks quite different from when we were there in November.  Our daughter drove out there from Las Vegas last week, and she was very excited over all the flowers.  Maybe we'll have to spend next winter out west so that we can see them again.

Hi Peggy & Dennis,

Thanks. We sure were lucky we picked this year for our trip west. I have never seen flowers this magnificent in the 8 years we've been coming out here!

All your photos are great and the Desert Five-Spot fantastic.

Lorna,

Thanks. I have a great camera!!! ;D ;D

I really liked that Desert Five-Spot. What a gorgeous flower!!! I'm really happy I got to see it.

Jim,

Prompted by your private e-mail, I've sent you two ".PSD" files.

They are big!!!  So if you're on a slow connection you may want to wait until you've got something fast.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug,

Thanks, I just finished d/l the large file. Now to sit down and go through it. Appreciate your help!

Glad you got it down, and I hope in retrospect you'll find it to have been worth your effort.

Ciao,

Doug

Jim:

Beautiful pics. Now I have to make ours come out looking like yours. :)

My motivation, Jim, was my recollection that you weren't finding the time to read about layers.  So I thought I send you a couple of files that provide a quickie look at layers, imperfect though my own understanding is.

Ciao,

Doug

To add to Jim's pics of flowers I am putting up several pics from the north end of the 303 north of Phoenix.

Attachments

• Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 004.jpg
    Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 004.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 005.jpg
    Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 005.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 008.jpg
    Flowers on the 303 2005-03-13 008.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 18
Good additions to the collection, Lorna :).  Of the three, I like #005 best.

Ciao,

Doug

Lorna said:
To add to Jim's pics of flowers I am putting up several pics from the north end of the 303 north of Phoenix.

Great shots Lorna.  Just almost unbelievable how beautiful the desert is this year.

Thanks guys.  Doug I have to agree with you that is my favorite also.  Ron I am sorry you have to miss all of this beauty too.  I am very happy that you came through the surgery with flying colors and are on the road to recovery.  It was good to talk with Shirley and hope she is able to get some rest now that you are at home even though she is your nurse and driver.

Jeff/Washington said:
Jim:

Beautiful pics. Now I have to make ours come out looking like yours. :)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! Just get a Canon Digital Rebel. It does it all for you. :) Actually we are very fortunate to have such great scenery to shoot.

Lorna said:

Hi Lorna,

Nice photos! They are amazing this year.

On our way north to Discovery Bay the I-5 was full of wild muster plants. I was dying to pull over and take some pictures but there was no place available. When we stopped at vista points and rest areas, there were no flowers. I'm tempted to take the car and drive south to find some of the flowers. I can just see the yellow flowers against the green hills and blue sky with puffy white clouds. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom