Death Valley rally November 4-11 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

Kevin and I just love Death Valley, and we have been lucky enough to get there during the 49ers Encampment for the last two years. I am organizing a RVForum rally for others interested. The camping area has no hookups, though central water and sewer dump are available. Price for the campground (Sunset) is $14/night or $7 with a senior pass. The average temps at this time of year are about 80 as a high and 45-50 as a low. However we have been there with temps in the 90s and lows around 40 (not at the same time though!). Generator hours are generous. As for activities there will be lots and lots of music, chataqua presentations by historical re-enactors, some primitive road adventures (mostly suitable for SUVs), gorgeous views, an art show, vendors, etc. Rally attendees will get together each day for a Happy Hour at our campsite with our propane fire pit (no wood or charcoal fires allowed). The website for the 49ers can be found at http://www.deathvalley49ers.org/ While you don?t have to join, I highly encourage attendees to do so. They do a lot of good with the money through grants to the park and scholarships.

Please reply to this message if you are interested.

We don?t quite have our route planned out yet other than knowing we want to do Quartzite in January but this sounds really interesting. We could probably put it on our schedule and then find other things in the area to check out before we head to Arizona  8)

Vicki

Even if it just comes up with two rigs, I will go ahead and put it on the calendar as a rally. Look for more information and a sign up in the next few hours.

We leave the US on 31st October and had considered extending our stay to include the 49ers but it means delaying our arrival next year so decided against it.  We will definitely visit Death Valley again as it is just fantastic.  There is a Facebook group dedicated to Death Valley and it is definitely giving us some ideas of places to go that we haven't seen yet.  We met a couple last year that go to this rally every year and love it.

I am jealous, I love Death Valley and would love to attend but it is way too far away from me and my RV is now stationary. I will be thinking of you lucky people.

Hmm, we'll be hosting near Bishop, Ca, so only like 178 miles away.  Not sure yet when the campground closes, but I would think somewhere around the 1st of November.  Might just mosey that way.
Not planning anything this far out.  Did that last year and changed every single plan we made...twice.

I generally don't plan that far ahead  ;) but since my winter digs are nearby in Pahrump, there's a good chance I'll be able to wander over!

I almost went to the 49er Encampment this year, but when I made a day trip in late September to view a presentation at the Visitor's Center about the Scotty's Castle flood recovery, Furnace Creek Ranch and the Inn were completely torn up by construction and the rangers weren't sure Sunset Campground would open at all this year except for the contracted week of the Encampment.

Things should be back to normal by November, although at this point it looks like Scotty's Castle and maybe Mesquite Campground in the northern part of the park will remain closed until 2020.

We haven?t starting planning that far out but we?ll keep an eye on those dates.

Wendy & Mike, former DEVA employees

P.s. Scotty?s won?t reopen until 2020 at the earliest but they are doing weekend Scottys Castle Flood Recovery Tours and the tour is WELL worth the cost.

Pam:
  This looks really promising for us.  I am already off work that week.  Death Valley has been a bucket list place for me.  Although we live in So Cal, we have never been to Death Valley.  It would be great to see you guys again after meeting you at the Yosemite Rally last May.  After tax season, I will be able to firm things up.  Hope it works out.  Thanks for organizing this!

Steve

We are in the process of selling a house in Utah, buying a house in Iowa, and ordering a motorhome. I am therefore delinquent in summarizing status. I know most haven?t really decided, but having a list keeps me organized. I will update this list with adds, confirms, and deletes. If there is any data to update, either PM me or post it here.

Current attendee status:
Pam and Kevin Stalnaker    UTTransplant      Utah (but soon to be Iowa)      Confirmed
Vicki and Mark Shorter        shorts                Full timers somewhere            Maybe
Larry and Maryanne N.        Larry N.            Westminster, CO                      Maybe
Wally Crow.                        Old_Crow                                                        Maybe
Lou Schneider.                    Lou Schneider    Pahrump, NV                          Maybe
Wendy and Mike                Wendy.                                                            Maybe
Steve and Dee.                  Steve N Dee.      Burbank, CA                          Maybe

Put Bob and I down as a definitely a probability, possibly, maybe.  Ive always wanted to see Death Valley, so I will put it on the calendar. :D

We have always wanted to do the 49'er encampment....so I guess putting Burnetta and I(Dwight from Ventura, Ca) down as maybe's can't hurt. I'm sitting here thinking what do I have going on in November...nothing is coming to mind. LOL

Since I can?t seem to edit the last attendee post, I will just update in a new post. Current status is
Current attendee status:
Pam and Kevin Stalnaker    UTTransplant      Utah (but soon to be Iowa)      Confirmed
Vicki and Mark Shorter        shorts                Full timers somewhere            Maybe
Larry and Mary Ann N.        Larry N.            Westminster, CO                      Maybe
Wally Crow.                        Old_Crow                                                        Maybe
Lou Schneider.                    Lou Schneider    Pahrump, NV                          Maybe
Wendy and Mike                  Wendy.                                                          Maybe
Steve and Dee                    Steve N Dee.      Burbank, CA                          Maybe
Caryl and Bob                    Cadee2c            Fulltimers somewhere            Probable
Burnetta and Dwight            InVogue            Ventura, CA                          Probable
Bill and friend                      photog                                                          Maybe

I haven't been there in while.  Put us down as a maybe.

Just wondering how early one should plan on arriving to secure a site. If the event starts on Nov 4th, would getting there a day or two early be good enough? Since we've never been and campgrounds are first come first serve....I'm sure it gets crowded and it looks like some Death Valley campgrounds will remain closed due to damage from flooding last year.

The only campground that?s closed due to flood damage is Mesquite on the far north side of the park, and it should be open in the fall if not sooner. Years ago, all the campgrounds would fill up a week before the 49ers official dates but that?s not the case any more. Last year, Sunset campground had spaces the whole Encampment. Furnace  Creek campground will be totally booked up with reservations days after the reservations open up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom