Deciding on which model for toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

We have started the process of looking for a toad to pull with our MH. The hitch capacity is 5,000 lbs and the maximum load on the tongue is 500 lbs. The previous owner had installed a Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier ( https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire...5225.html#exp-productdetails=.all-description ). According to the information on etrailer.com, this carrier reduces the tongue weight capacity by 33%, which makes the tongue weight capacity 335 lbs. He was towing a 2013 Explorer, which has a minimum curb weight of 4,534 lbs per google and so was most likely exceeding the rated capacity. Would we need to deduct the weight of the spare tire also, which would reduce the tongue capacity even more?

When towing a vehicle 4 down, is the tongue weight a minimum of 10% of the vehicle weight, same as towing a trailer?

If so we need to look for a vehicle that would have a weight of around 3,000 lbs. Does that even exist??
The other option is to remove the spare tire and carrier. What do others do for a spare tire?

When towing 4 down the only weight on the tongue is the 40 or 50 pounds of the tow bar. As to weight of the TOAD, just because your coach is rated to tow 5,000 pounds does not mean that you have to tow a 5,000 pound TOAD. A 2,500 pound TOAD might be a lot easier to tow, our coach also has a 5,000 pound towing capacity, and when we are towing our 4,300 Jeep Cherokee, I can tell it is back there and it causes more fatigue than traveling without a TOAD drops my comfortable top speed by 5-8 mph.

A 2,500 pound TOAD might be a lot easier to tow, our coach also has a 5,000 pound towing capacity, and when we are towing our 4,300 Jeep Cherokee, I can tell it is back there and it causes more fatigue than traveling without a TOAD drops my comfortable top speed by 5-8 mph.
Interesting... My rig is a bit larger and can tow 10K, but the only way I notice our 4700 lb Wrangler back there is in the reduced acceleration (of course I have to watch clearances, etc.) -- otherwise I'm rarely aware of it, in terms of the rig's handling, though I keep track of it in my rear camera, as well as seeing traffic back there. Braking differences, with the U.S. Gear braking system, is pretty much not noticeable, either, though it certainly would be noticeable without some such, as on all rigs.

Towing the TOAD is certainly not a fatigue factor for me, though as with all rigs there is an additional fatigue factor in just driving an RV vs driving a car or pickup. But the TOAD doesn't add to it.

When towing a vehicle 4 down, is the tongue weight a minimum of 10% of the vehicle weight, same as towing a trailer?
Absolutely not! As Ike says, the tow bar is the only tongue weight on the hitch from the toad*, since four down means the TOAD is carrying its own weight -- none of it on the tow vehicle. Now with the TOAD on a dolly or a trailer that's another story.

You might think of it as the difference between pulling a loaded 4 wheel wagon and pushing/pulling a wheelbarrow with the same weight.

* I even have a hitch extender that states it is for towing four down only, not for trailer use.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for straightening me out on the tongue weight. That does make sense. The Roadmaster tire carrier also says the hitch receiver is for four down towing only. We like the Explorer but think we should look for something lighter. We would be right at the max of 5,000 lbs the hitch is rated for.

We tow our 2020 Buick Envision AWD 4 down. An easy hookup and no tow restrictions on the car. The Envision's weight is right at 4k lbs.

Glad to hear that. I’m going through the Dingy Guides now to see what other vehicles we might consider. We planned to look at the Envision.

Most folks stow stuff in their toad when underway so that should factor in. I have no doubt we add at least 500 lbs to our toad with a cooler and miscellaneous stuff packed in back as well as a car top Thule loaded and full tank of gas.
Honda CR-V’s weigh in under 3500 and are towable up and including model year 2014. (We have 10,000 capacity now, but bought our CR-V when we had our previous coach.)

I second the recommendation to consider weight inside the toad. We leave a pair of lawn chairs, water, a tool kit, and all kinds of miscellaneous stuff in our Grand Cherokee all the time.

yep we had already talked about this. If we are close to the limit we won’t be able to carry anything in the car. We will adjust according to the vehicle weight.

When towing 4 down the only weight on the tongue is the 40 or 50 pounds of the tow bar. As to weight of the TOAD, just because your coach is rated to tow 5,000 pounds does not mean that you have to tow a 5,000 pound TOAD. A 2,500 pound TOAD might be a lot easier to tow, our coach also has a 5,000 pound towing capacity, and when we are towing our 4,300 Jeep Cherokee, I can tell it is back there and it causes more fatigue than traveling without a TOAD drops my comfortable top speed by 5-8 mph.

Huh. I don’t hardly notice my Cherokee is back there on MY F53 gasser (Ford V10). I think it actually helps on the rare occassions I am on Interstate and get passed by a Semi doing 80.

I don’t have a clue how it could cause fatigue. You might need to get your MH wheels aligned.

Most folks stow stuff in their toad when underway so that should factor in. I have no doubt we add at least 500 lbs to our toad with a cooler and miscellaneous stuff packed in back as well as a car top Thule loaded and full tank of gas.
Honda CR-V’s weigh in under 3500 and are towable up and including model year 2014. (We have 10,000 capacity now, but bought our CR-V when we had our previous coach.)
We have access to a 2012 CR-V with the automatic transmission - Could you elaborate on what would need to be done to tow 4 down behind a class C?

Thanks in advance!

We have access to a 2012 CR-V with the automatic transmission - Could you elaborate on what would need to be done to tow 4 down behind a class C?
Three things:
First, select a tow bar system (ours is Blue Ox, but there’s other options). That will include a base plate specific to your CR-V and the tow bar itself that attaches to the receiver on your coach. This should include safety chains or cables that connect to existing places on your coach’s receiver and existing places on your base plate. These should cross underneath the tow bar so that if the tow bar fails, they will ‘cradle’ the tow bar and keep it from ‘pole vaulting’ your car into the rear of your coach.

You also need to have your tail and brake lights and turn signals on your car function in concert with those on your coach. This will require an umbilical cord that plugs into the existing plug on your coach and will require a plug on your car to be installed. You can get a light bar that attaches (magnetically) to the rear of your car and removes when you unhook or have the car’s existing lights wired to do this. (We opted to wire the car’s lights). The umbilical can optionally supply charging current for your car’s battery. If the auxiliary braking system (next paragraph) is electric powered, it can drain the car’s battery over time. (Took that happening one time for us to get this charging option set up.)

Finally, you’ll need some kind of auxiliary brake system that will activate your car’s brakes in concert with your coach’s brakes. It will require power, either electric or air should your coach have air brakes. Many options for this. Some require setting in place and removing every time you hookup and unhook your car, some that stay in place and you just flip a switch to turn it on or off. Most cars will require a fuse be pulled when towing. Installing a switch do do this greatly simplifies hooking up and unhooking the car. (This is to disable the car’s ABS, but it may disable other things, too.)
This should also include a breakaway cable that, should your system fail to the point of complete separation, it will fully apply the car’s brakes.

I had all the above professionally installed. There’s plenty of folks here who have done it themselves and saved considerable cost by doing so. While I know my way around a toolbox, I can no longer contort myself to positions most tasks require.
Just know: failing to do any one of most steps involved here correctly could be catastrophic, so be very confident if you decide to do the install yourself.

All of this is not specific to your CR-V. Your owner’s manual will detail what to do with the car in prep of, and during, towing.

I didn’t want to necessarily promote brands or options. There are many and if you search here you’ll find many threads debating different tow bars or braking systems. We’ve had Blue Ox since beginning in 2016, replaced the tow bar when it reached 10 years old. We started with an RVibrake2 (install and remove with every hookup and unhook) and switched to the SMI Stay-in-Play when we changed toads. I can’t recommend any of these brands over any others since I’ve no experience with any others, except to say these have performed flawlessly for us.

Last edited:
One other note Tow Bars and Base Plates can sometimes be mixed and matched between manufacturers by uses adapters, though there is generally not much point in doing this if you are buying all at once. For example when we bought our current Toyota Yaris TOAD, it was already equipped with a Roadmaster base plate, and I already owned a Blue Ox Tow bar are the time, so I bought a Roadmaster Blue Ox style cross bar adapter to make them work together. Alternatively I could have bought a Demco Roadmaster tow bar connector set, either way would let me tow with the combination.

The 3 big names in base plates are Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom