Decisions, decisions, Fords or Dodge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KVP

Hello all,
I'm probably going to replace my 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with v-10 next year.
Looking at the Ford and Dodge websites and building a 350 / 3500 I find similar pricing.
I've been happy with my current Dodge but want a better payload capacity and the new 6 or 10 speed transmissions as well as other creature comforts now standard.
I'm torn so far. I like the Ford 7.3 engine and 10 speed tranny but like the paint and interior of the Dodge better.
Looking at gas, crew cab, long bed, 4x4.
What do y'all like / dislike about each?

Thanks, Kevin
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 extended cab, 4x4, v-10
2011 Outfitter Apex 9.5 truck camper

Finding a gas motor in either in a 3500/350 might be really hard.  Question, why no diesel?  Anyhow. Go drive both andmpick the one your wife likes best.  BTW Rams can usually be had with at least 10,000 dollars off.

donn said:
Finding a gas motor in either in a 3500/350 might be really hard.  Question, why no diesel?  Anyhow. Go drive both andmpick the one your wife likes best.  BTW Rams can usually be had with at least 10,000 dollars off.

I'm not sure about the Ram and the gas engine, but it's not that hard to find in the Ford.  The 7.3L is a very popular engine.  Lots of good words about it, along with a few issues, to be expected in a first year engine and transmission.  But so far, it seems to be a winner.  I am of course a little biased towards the Ford.  I've just never found the Ram or Chevy to be as comfortable as the Ford.  But I will agree with what donn said "pick the one your wife likes best".  If momma ain't happy, no one is happy.

Oh, as far as color, try the Ruby Red.  It's a custom color that costs an additional $400 dollars, but it is a beautiful color.

Both are very capable trucks i too love the Ram interior over the Ford but the Ford outsells Ram for a reason - plainly put - its a better overall truck. I had 17 Gms and never ever thought of switching until the newest generation Ford i bought mine in Sept 17 and im seriously impressed since then ive bought 5 new Fords an 17Escape to run around town 17Edge my wife did 100000 miles on in 2 years a 20 edge to replace the 17 and 2 2019f150 work trucks

I get better than 15 mpg around town with my diesel. Better than 18 on the highway. Towing? Well less. With a 7000lb utility trailer I still get about 13-14 on the highway.

A F450 runs a lower gear ratio for more pulling power when pulling those big front end loaders and construction/ farm stuff but the trade off is crappy mileage

I've enjoyed my '17 Ram 3500 Dually so far. It has a payload of 5435 lbs., and 30535 max towing. Should be plenty for most folks anyways......

Im not a Ram fan, i love the interior its top notch, i love the lines, and i love the Cummins. BUT i hate loath detest that stupid giant RAM they put on it omg obnoxious. The front ends are week and the wiring is garbage. I have a Ford the interior is less than a Ram unless you get that really ugly king ranch which looks like horse puckies but the leather quality is top notch. The Platinum has the uber obnoxious chrome tail gate and painted bumpers omg ever seen a painted bumper after a few years? So you need to spend a zillion on paint film from the start. Trucks need chrone bumpers. Go buy a Gm the Alison is Gold the Duramax is brilliant the interior will put you to sleep, gm builds old man trucks for old men- they are boring which is why after 17 Gms i now drive a Ford and although i hate to admit it. I LOVE IT do whats best for you. BY THE WAY FORD OUTSELLS GM AND RAM COMBINED -there is a reason for it and i found out why. Lol cheers

Back
Top Bottom