Dentist in Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

Jack and I both need a bridge. Our dentist in Canada will charge us $2300 CAD for each. Does anyone have experience with this kind of work in Mexico, close to the border? Good? Bad? We'd love to hear.

We wonder if it may be worthwhile to drive south (and have a chance to visit with Fred and Daisy!) and get this work done near the border.

Your advise will be most welcome.

Elly Dalmaijer

We have had our dental work done in Algodones for several years and have been completely satisfied.  We have had not just routine dental maintenance, but Lorna has had crowns and an implant done there.  Our dentist is Dr. Alma Luna, she is used by several other members here as well.  Fred had major dental work done there a few years ago too.

Chris also used Dr. Alma Luna and was 100% satisfied. Try using the search feature above and you'll see prior topics discussing this and other dentists in Algadones.

This topic reminded me of a funny story.  My father's dentures are somewhat loose, so if sneezes too hard he looses his false teeth.  So we went to Mexico for a one week vacation with my mother, aunt and uncle.  The first day on the beach, he was in the water and sure enough, he sneezed and lost his dentures in the water.  He bent down to look for them and a wave caught his prescription sunglasses.

So he spent the rest of the week drinking Corona and eating rice or soup.

There is, or was, a Dentiest named Joe Garcia if memory serves who used to hang out on Compuserve.  Mexico City.

Never seen him or met him in person, but if you find him mention Compuserve and the diabetes forum to him.  Please  We would love to hear from him again.

A friend of ours got a crown in Nuevo Laredo and was happy with it.  But now I wouldn't even recommend going across the border there.

We currently live in a senior mobile home park in Mesa, AZ and we have many people that go to Algadones for dental work. You are doing the right thing by asking for recommendations as that town has many dental offices. Some are extremely busy and some have no one there, not sure what that means but!!!  Anyway, the people in our park have been very satisfied with a woman dentist with the last name of Castro, I can't remember her first name. The prices are much lower than here in the states. If I remember right my neighbor got a root canal and crown for around $300.
One thing you have to be prepared for is that you may have to spend more time waiting than you expected. Many times someones appointment takes longer than planned thereby pushing all others back. Also, I don't know where you will have your home base, but as with many things, they always don't go as planned. I some cases the people here in our park either had to stay overnight in Yuma or drive 4 hours back to Mesa and come back the next day or later. If everything goes good, no problem but if things get complicated the driving distance can be a headache.
I have another neighbor who had a tooth pulled at a dentist here in Mesa then decided to go to Algadones to have a partial put in. When he got there they found his pulled tooth had infection so they send him to the Purple Store (drug, booze, grocery, cigarettes store) to get some antibiotics and told him to come back in a week.
I don't mean to discourage or scare you but I think you need to know that as long as everything goes good there is no problem but when problems are encountered it can amount to a lot of travel time uless you are staying in Yuma or some place close to what ever Mexican town you decide to do business.
Once while I was waiting I was talking to a man from Laughlin and he said with all the trips he had to make he could have driven to Chicago and back.
Good luck and I'm not affraid to recommend having your dental work done in Algadones. Just make sure you use a dentist with good recommendations.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply! This is most helpful.

Jack and I will now go off to work for two months in Nairobi, but after that we plan to go down (from Edmonton Canada) to get that dental work done in Algodones. Time and/or driving down from here to Yuma or Mesa is not a problem for us so driving a few extra hours to Mexico should not be either.

We will just keep thinking about all those $$$ we are saving!

Thanks again for you helpful advise,

Elly

Yuma to Algodones is less than an hours travel, including parking and walking across the border.  It's a bit farther from Mesa :)

My next question is: where is Algodones? My S+T shows several cities in Mexico by that name, but none of them close to the border.
So give me a little geography lesson, anyone?

Elly

It's just west and south of Yuma.  You take I-8 into California, then take the posted exit.  It's just a few miles south from there to the border.  The Indians have a huge parking lot where you can park for $3/day and walk across to Algodones.  Everything of interest is within a few blocks.

Hi
i can recommend a Lady Dentist in Tecate,

i had all my top teeth removed and a palate put in,

i was the worlds biggest coward when it came to dentists but because of the pain
i had to get them out !!!!

the lady picked me up at the border and took me to the surgery (very clean)

i had 1 check up and then went back 2 days later and she removed all my top teeth
with hardly any pain (i thought what was all the fuss about)

we found her very good very clean and reasonably priced,

the address below hope it helps

veronica Hernandez.D.D.S
Calle "E" #101
Colonia Moderna
Tecate,B.C.
Mexico

for appointments (619)889-6073
email [email protected]

Regards Lindsay & Lynda

Back
Top Bottom