Destinations from Louisiana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I am looking for thoughts on where to go on a 9-14 day RV trip from western Louisiana probably in early May?  I am open to ideas, thoughts, suggestions?  We have done Hot Springs, Ar, Eureka Springs, Ar and Branson, Mo in the last couple of years, so probably not those.  We have also done the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming in the summers the last few years.

Just looking for ideas, maybe places that I have not thought of, would prefer less than 2,000 miles total driving distance, ideally less.  Branson and back was a 1,200 mile loop last summer in 9 days, which was not too bad.

thanks Ike

Opps, just finished my cup of coffee and reread the title.  You don't need my recommendations for Louisiana. 

Did you hit Mountain View when you were in Arkansas?  Lots of folk music and scenic drives.

Thanks, I will check into it, all of our trips to Arkansas have been to points west of Little Rock.  Mostly up and down Hwy 71 and Hwy 7 and points bridging across in between.

Try the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Lots of campgrounds and attractions including Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, buffalo in pastures, Badlands a few miles east, Minuteman Missile National Historic site (on I-90 east of Rapid City), towns of Deadwood, Sturgis, Lead, Devils Tower a short trip to the west and many others.  Counting travel time you would enjoy it but stay away from late July - early August because of huge motorcycle crowds in Sturgis and throughout the Black Hills.

If you're beach people, head to the east coast and hit the beach areas until it's time to turn around and come home.

South Texas from the hill country down to South Padre. Lots of interesting cities, LBJ Ranch, San Antonio, etc.

Ernie

Here's your operating radius: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php?circles=%5B%5B1609340%2C32.5251516%2C-93.7501789%2C%22%23AAAAAA%22%2C%22%23000000%22%2C0.4%5D%5D

• The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Michigan

• There are over 300 Excursion trains in the US, http://railsnw.com/region99.htm Many of them operate steam locomotives and some offer spectacular scenery. We often use a train ride as a focal point, then find things to explore along the way. Durango & Silverton is offering a 20% discount on standard-class tickets to their email-list subscribers this season if booked before 3/31.

• Great Smoky Mountains National Park

• Moab UT: Canyonlands and Arches National Parks

• Savannah GA and Charleston SC.

• The Outer Banks of North Carolina

• The Gulf coast of Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and, of course, Florida.

• Atlanta

• Albuquerque and Santa Fe

That does give me a couple of more thoughts, thanks for the link to the circle drawing tool, our actual location is probably a hundred miles south of your circle point, and due to highway routing vs as the crow flies that circle should probably be a bit smaller.  For example google maps says it is 1,350 miles to the black hills in SD even though nearly the entire state of SD is within your 1,000 mile circle.

Durango & Silverton is offering a 20% discount

The Cumbres & Toltec RR (from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO) is similar in equipment to the Durango, but IMO is even better. Both were originally part of the same narrow gauge service, the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, but are now separate operations and are no longer connected.

I looked at The Cumbres & Toltec RR, unfortunately they don't start operation until the end of May

Larry N. said:
The Cumbres & Toltec RR (from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO) is similar in equipment to the Durango, but IMO is even better. Both were originally part of the same narrow gauge service, the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, but are now separate operations and are no longer connected.
Have ridden and enjoyed both.
Cumbres is a longer ride over more varied terrain. Because of the grade and the size of the train we had a "double header" (two locomotives) that had to disconnect at one point because a bridge we had to cross can't handle the weight of two locos. But the sound of the pair working as we climbed into the mountains was great. Aside from the train itself it's a much more rural experience. Chama isn't much of a town. Friendly, but not much to see or do.
By contrast, Durango is a much more sophisticated operation and there's plenty to do around town for a few days. Take the tour of the raiiroad shops. I love the climb along the sheer rock face through the Animas river canyon. Silverton, the far terminus, is a kitschy little tourist trap, but fun. If you take the bus back from Silverton, ask the driver to stop for a while at the Molas Pass overlook for some spectacular views. Durango is not far from Mesa Verde National Park, which is worth visiting.

... Chama isn't much of a town. Friendly, but not much to see or do.
By contrast, Durango is a much more sophisticated operation and there's plenty to do around town for a few days. Take the tour of the raiiroad shops.
The Cumbres has the, to me, big advantage that you can wander around the rail yard to your heart's content, while the Durango is more restrictive. The Cumbres is also a bit less restrictive during the ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom