Detroit Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trish

Been reading post from '05 about Detroit Diesels leaking.  I found a Country Coach '98 with a Detroit ser 40.  Anybody have any comments on this?  The post I read addressed ser 60.  Please help.
Thanks,
Pat

Terry A. Brewer

Pat

>> Been reading post from '05 about Detroit Diesels leaking.? I found a Country Coach '98 with a Detroit ser 40<<

That is probably a Magna & those Detroit's were under-powered for that coach. In 1999 they offered a Cat C-10 which is what we have & it's a great engine & a great coach.

John From Detroit

There are Detroit Diesels and there are Detroit Diesels and there are Detroit Diesels and there are Detroit Diesels

BBP (Back Before Penskie) they were under powered, and they leaked and they guzzled diesel fuel

During the Allison era, some of these issues were addressed

During the Penske era, even more of these were addressed and if you can get one from the correct Penskie model year you will find what that year's Detroit Diesels were best at..... Passing filling stations  (My brother is very happy with his, and he even loves the high cost of fuel, yes he does, you see, the company he's contracted with charges a "Fuel Surcharge" and while other drivers wine and cry because it does not cover the high cost of fuel, Not-So-Little (6' 6 1/2") brother actually makes a PROFIT on the surcharge)

Well, I think it's Damler-Chrysler's era now over at DD (Or was last time I passed the plant) and their software folks are not as good as Penskie's when it comes to passing filling stations.

Page 2: emmissions... Generally the more filling stations you pass between re-fills, the cleaner your engine is running cause it's burning more of the stuff... Not an "etched in stone" rule, (Perhaps cast in Jello) but generally

So, with DDs  The age of the beast is very, very important, and no, I'm sorry, I don't know which ones are best/worst... That's my brother's department. I drive a gas buggy

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Both the Series 40 and Series 60 are 4 cycle diesels, unlike the older 2 cycle Detroits which some people love and others castigate.  Series 40 engines are in-line 6 cylinder blocks in either 7.6L or 8.7L displacements and horsepower from 160 to 330.  It is my understanding that the 40 is actually a Navistar engine block that is marketed by DD - see http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2001/04ddc.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jatozano
Top Bottom