Detroit to Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

My daughter has a question..... She wishes to go to Las Vegas (We live in Detroit) and even though her life is the sound of music (and/or the making therof) she does not wish to "Climb every mountain" or for that matter, any mountain

She and her beau would like a nice,  level,, route,  also a fast one since time is a factor when they move

(She's moving there, she hopes, he's moving there no matter)

Any suggestions?  thanks in advance ('m not much good on that side of lake Michigan)

John In Detroit said:
My daughter has a question..... She wishes to go to Las Vegas (We live in Detroit) and even though her life is the sound of music (and/or the making therof) she does not wish to "Climb every mountain" or for that matter, any mountain

She and her beau would like a nice,? level,, route,? also a fast one since time is a factor when they move

Any suggestions?? thanks in advance ('m not much good on that side of lake Michigan)

Any way you slice it, they are going to have to cross the continental divide.  If I were doing the route, I would pick up I-80 and head west to I-70 at the NE corner of Colorado.  Take I-70 thru Denver and Grand Junction to I-15 at Cove Fort, Utah.  Head SW on I-15 to Lost Wages.

That is the most direct and 100% interstate hwy route.  The Colorado portion is mountainous but interstate standards all the way.

One correction.  I-80 intersects I-76 in the NE corner of CO and that will take you to Denver and I-70.

John In Detroit said:

She and her beau would like a nice,  level,, route,  also a fast one since time is a factor when they move

Any suggestions?  thanks in advance ('m not much good on that side of lake Michigan)

The Eisenhower tunnel is 11,000 ft and the Vail pass about 12,000. These can be tough on a small engine car pulling a trailer or a rental truck fully loaded. One could travel I-80 all the way to Salt Lake City then I-15 south to Las Vegas. This would be a little longer but the climb is gradual to ~ 7,000 with a few steep grades 5-6 % along way.

The other option would be to catch I-80 to SLC then I-15 to Las Vegas little less altitude that way.  Freeway all the way once your on
I-80.

John,

It's hot but it's flat or gentle grades 'cept for one grade out of the Rio Grande --take the path of old rt 66 from Chicago to St. Louis, OK City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and turn right at Kingman if the dam's open for traffic or at Needles and go via Laughlin. Stop by on the way back. ;D

Thanks, will dump this to printer and give to her.... I suspect "Gentle Grades" will suffice.

I'm trying to talk her into a professional moving and storage company... If I help her it will mean pulling one or more trailers behind the Damon and her beau doing the same with his pick up....... Gas, just Gas, for the Damon will top 1,000 round trip if we leave today, and I don't see prices dropping any time soon cause of Murphy's law of supply and demand.

You know the law of supply and demand,,, As Demand goes up relative to supply so does the price, as demand drops, so does the price

Well... Murphy's law of supply and demand starts out the same, As demand increases, relative to supply, so does price, as demand drops, the price continues to increase due to the cost of all that storage for the surplus supply

It really depends upon the weather. If there is a possibility of snow avoid I-80 or I-70. The routes are all about the same distant. When drove in March we took I-75 South to I-70 and than to I-15 South to Vegas. It's the easiest way to go. When we leave in Dec. that's the way we'll go.

Barb

We just took I-70 across a good portion of Colorado and, although we didn't go all the way over the mountains, the halfway that we went would probably be a bit much for a skiddish person.  There are some nice steep parts that, especially with a U-haul, could be less than enjoyable for some.

She found a few places where the roads and the U-Haul did not exactly like each other (mostly rough roads that hit the resonant frequency of the truck) but she has made it

She started teaching this morning,, LV time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom