Dicor or Eternabond tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I was talking to a mobile repair guy yesterday and he said that Dicor has tape which is better than EternaBond. He also said he came 6” wide. I looked for some online and couldn’t find any. Has anyone heard of Dicor tape 6” wide and is it better than EyernaBond tape. If you have used it, where can it be purchased?

I've used both brands successfully and not much difference, but my gut feel was that the Eternabond seemed a bit thicker & stickier. And it is available in 6" width too. And colors.

The tape has it's uses, but the caulk is better. The tape will NOT seal crevices, so if you tape over the tape then you will, will, have a leak. You would need to dicor the tape seam to keep it from leaking.
The tape is great for taping down something so you do not have to drill a hole in the roof, and has other uses, but for the standard sealing needs on an RV use the dicor.

I caulked all the joints on my rv roof and after it sat for a few days, I applied EternaBond tape. It’s been 3 years and it still looks new.

The tape will NOT seal crevices, so if you tape over the tape then you will, will, have a leak
I can only agree partially with that, but Eternabond or Diseal is not a panacea. If the seam or crevice is a joint that moves (e.g. the front & rear cap roof seams), you need a high-stretch caulk like Dicor 501 in the gap that can handle the movement. Maybe some tape over it, but caulk the crevice as Alontheway says. But if the crevice is a seam along a roof vent or something, the tape is usually sufficient. And it's great for tears or holes in a roof membrane, whether EPDM, TPO, or fiberglass.

Plastics, polymers, TPO, EPDM, I guess it's good that we have all that stuff in our lives but their composition and properties remain a mystery to me.
Our roof is PVC (another poly- product). Can either DiSeal or Eternabond be used successfully on this material for, let's say, a puncture? Would another repair material be preferable?

I used eternabond to seal every seam on my roof. It has worked flawlessly in keeping water outside instead of inside. However, I didn't have any joints that move which Gary noted about the tape not working well on those.

Gary, the tape will not seal a crevice because it will not go into the crevice. If you are taping along the crevice, on either side of the crack, then it will seal because you are really sealing a flat surface that just happens to have a crevice in the middle, but going across a crevice or joint is failure. I think you misunderstand. In such a case then you need to use lap sealant to correct the issue. Even taping over tape, where tape crosses over tape, will create a crevice that water will get in, you need to lap seal that too.

IMHO, Eternabond should be used on surfaces which move. Properly applied tape will never come loose, is far more flexible than caulking, will never crack, and will be waterproof forever. Even if tape is applied over tape. The adhesive on the tape is thick and the glue will roll into the edges and intermingle which creates a water tight seal.

I can't believe people still use caulk on roofs. That new fangled Eternabond has been around for decades and has proven itself to be superior to caulk. Caulk is for visible areas like vertical seams and windows. On a roof caulk is a 3 year solution vs Eternabond is a 20 year solution. Don't knock it if you've never tried it. There are plenty of testimonials on this forum saying it works as advertised. It comes in widths from 2" to 3' wide.

It's been 8 years now and the 100 feet of Eternabond around all 4 sides and roof openings on my RV roof is still soft and looks new. The Eternabond has had zero problems with no caulking required. I have never used DiSeal tape so I cannot judge it.

I used to sell commercial roofing products and I believe Eternabond is the best tape. It is a product designed for repairing commercial membrane roofs. It will stick to any type of membrane as long as you properly clean the area first. Many roofers will use acetone for cleaning PVC and TPO and white gas (Coleman lantern fuel) for cleaning EPDM. Note that these cleaners are quite flammable so use with caution. Use a Scotchbrite pad followed by a wipe with a clean cotton rag. Most commercial roofing suppliers carry Eternabond in several different sizes.

Back
Top Bottom