Did you name your unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't name inanimate objects, nor do we assign a gender to them.
Is there a special reason why that would be disrespecting your personal persona,:cool:

or you just can't think of a clever name?

Yeah, waving at you, hope all is well and thanks for chiming in!

Zip, not everyone names things, having nothing to do with thinking of a name, just no desire or need to do so. My Jeep is "the Jeep," my F-150 is "the truck" and wife's car is "the car." They were all named before I got them, just by existing. Even the L-21 in my avatar is "the Cub."

Being a waterman, of course she has a name. As usual, we lived with her awhile to see if she knew she had a name. To my surprise she did and it is French (that was a pleasant surprise) as with most of the families vessels. It is Chaumière (Say Show Me Air fitting for a sailor - No) and it means a (typically little) cottage. We love her and as with all, a waterman and his boat, they take care of each other..
Matt

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. Which I haven't read but Steve loves.
So I looked it up:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy represents that nothing is what it seems to be. Almost every entry in the Guide is completely inaccurate, if not very humorous. The Guide does not uphold a truth claim, meaning that it cannot be held responsible for its misinformation. This shows that although it is known as one of the best guides in the galaxy, it can't tell you the difference between a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias. Entries from the Guide are riddled throughout the book, mostly for comedic purposes, but also to show that nothing can be taken without question, or you can be in for a world of hurt.

Seems like it must be some kind of Bible for people that want other people to fail.

We certainly don't name inanimate objects, but vehicles are spirited. That's why we name all our cars, our RV and our boat.

So Jeep and Truck are names. ;)
No, actually they are references (well, Jeep is a brand name), nouns that let me specify what I refer to. I refer to them just as I would say "that sidewalk" or "that telephone pole." Not everything has to be named. You do it your way and leave me to do it mine without sarcasm, please.

You do it your way and leave me to do it mine without sarcasm, please.
Sarcasm?

Good heavens. If you think that, I am sorry.

You must be on alot of forums and think everyone is out to get you or something.

I hope all is well with you.

okay, I'm dumb, what does that mean?
On the deeper level the book (and tv series) is a search for the meaning of life.

Spoiler alert - They find the "super computer" and ask what is the "answer" to the meaning of life, the universe and everything. The computer tells them to come back in a million years or something. Even the most super computer in the galaxy wasn't that fast in 1979 - LOL...

When they come back the computer says the "answer" is 42. Of course they ask what does 42 mean and they are told to understand that you have to know the question. And the question is harder to determine than the answer so come back in a billion years.

In between all this of course they have a lot of adventures hitchhiking across the galaxy. Marvin was a "prototype" robot, the first with emotions. But the only emotions he got were paranoia and depression.

Some Marvin quotes -

“I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won’t like it.” –Marvin

“My capacity for happiness, you could fit into a matchbox without taking out the matches first” –Marvin

Marvin: “I think you ought to know I’m feeling very depressed.”
Trillian: “Well, we have something that may take your mind off it.”
Marvin: “It won’t work, I have an exceptionally large mind.“

[Discussing the police ship]
Marvin: That ship hated me.
Ford: Ship? What happened to it? Do you know?
Marvin: It hated me because I talked to it.
Ford: You talked to it? What do you mean you talked to it?
Marvin: Simple. I got very bored and depressed, so I went and plugged myself into its external computer feed. I talked to the computer at great length and explained my view of the universe to it.
Ford: And what happened?
Marvin: It committed suicide

Lol

The meaning of everything equals 42 of course
Wow, dude, that is a deep and obscure reference. I will guess that you are talking about the equation and not the many other things I found that reference that. Cool name by the way.
I do have a Marvin the Robot sticker above the plate to help folks out.

I'll also say that I think most SciFi writers were doing lots of drugs in the 70's LOL.

The media and writing throughout the 60s, 70s and into the 80s are so fascinating. It says so much about the boomers journey. The greatest generation saved the world and the boomers completely changed it.

Right now I am watching the entire Mary Tyler Moore series. A single woman entering the workforce in a man's world. "Mary shouldn't go on that business trip. She won't have any fun because she doesn't even have a credit card." In the same time frame you have Hill Street Blues addressing serious urban crime, drugs, prostitution etc. MTM was still framed in the window of the happy 50's and 60's, and while taking on a lot of women's issues in a vanilla coated way, completely ignoring Vietnam, civil rights, almost completely ignored gay rights etc.

Sorry to go on but the American journey is totally fascinating to me. I wonder in 100 years how American Cultural Anthropology of the boomer generation is going to be taught in colleges.

Bear? Because it's built on a Kodiak chassis.
It can also be a bear to work on. Ha.

But we mostly refer to it as "the RV".

My wife has a name for my ‘unit’, we also have a name for our RV. Which do you want to know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom