Diesel fuel nozzle too big for Ram pick-up trucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markandkim

I have read that there was a problem with re-fueling with diesel at truck stops. The truck stop nozzles are too big and may get stuck in the fuel tank door.
I know that they are "high flow" and you need to manually regulate the amount going in while pumping.
I have the RAM 2020 2500 with 6.7.
I was wondering if this is still an issue to be aware about?
Should we avoid the truck lanes. Will be difficult with 35' trailer in tow.
Help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I have a '21 CTD Ram and have filled up at truck stops. Yes, the nozzle is larger and I had to manually regulate the flow, but have had no problems getting it stuck. Just don't shove it in as far as it will go.

Is that the one they sometimes call "auto-diesel".
I don't think there is any convention that the leftmost truck lane will have the smaller nozzles - I've seen them on the far right too. However, if a lane is labeled "auto diesel" it will surely have the smaller diameter nozzle. It may also be priced differently, in states where road taxes differ for private vs heavy duty commercial vehicles.

Note that we are talking about the dedicated truck lanes, not the mixed gas + diesel lanes that are typically out front.

Truck lane nozzles are great for flow but my experience has been they foam the diesel when filling smaller pickup fuel tanks.

The TSD discount card only works on the truck lanes. You do have to be very gentle on the trigger to avoid a mess, but it is quite easy to fill the tank completely.

Quick note that truck fuel nozzle just fits in the hole on a yellow jerry can and if not careful it will cause blow back (just trust me on this one)

I occasionally have problems filling my motorhome, when the nozzles are too curved and won't hang in the pipe. When that happens, I have to stand there and hold the nozzle. Worse yet is when someone has removed the latch to keep nozzle on. I need to devise something for that.

O

I occasionally have problems filling my motorhome, when the nozzles are too curved and won't hang in the pipe. When that happens, I have to stand there and hold the nozzle. Worse yet is when someone has removed the latch to keep nozzle on. I need to devise something for that.

O
That easy just put the gas cap in the handle to prop the handle open- been doing that for years

My Safari Trek is gas, but has a similar problem with keeping the nozzle in the filler (it's recessed and straight in so the nozzle winds up pointing uphill to reach it).

I found opening the gas tank door, inserting the nozzle and then rotating it 90 degrees so the body of the handle lays sideways on the door latch works.

Everything I've read says the larger Ram like yours should take the larger nozzle. Maybe not the baby diesel in the 1500's, but that's not you.

Ditto on reducing the fill rate for smaller tanks. Ours is 80 gallons and we still get quite a bit of froth.

Most importantly, when you're using the truck lanes and you're done filling, hang up the pump and move your rig if you have other business to do. Especially if it's busy. Time is money for truckers.

Don’t walk away and leave it unattended.
It will click off no worries done it thousands of times. In the winter i will be washing lights and windshield etc i alway stick the cap in the handle and walk away, there is a shutoff sensor in the handle mandated by law

Back
Top Bottom