Diesel generator gushing fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TucsonSteve

Pulled into a campsite at Lake Havasu and my diesel generator was gushing fuel nonstop. Turned off engine, leak stopped. Turned key to accessory, fuel ran out in steady stream like 2 soda straws. A Mercedes Sprinter and Winnebago Via. Towed to Mercedes service center but they are useless. Any thoughts on the problem? My guess is the generator fuel pump needs replacement.

Pulled into a campsite at Lake Havasu and my diesel generator was gushing fuel nonstop. Turned off engine, leak stopped. Turned key to accessory, fuel ran out in steady stream like 2 soda straws. A Mercedes Sprinter and Winnebago Via. Towed to Mercedes service center but they are useless. Any thoughts on the problem? My guess is the generator fuel pump needs replacement.
Stuck float? Tap with hammer

Diesels work on high pressure downstream from the injector pump, you may have a cracked fitting. Wipe everything dry then turn the key on to determine where the fuel is coming from. Doon't use your hand to feel for a leak while running, it will drive fuel into your skin.

Stuck float? Tap with hammer
Where is the fuel coming from exactly? Could be corroded gasket fuel line shut off valve etc . Not too many parts with a generator. If you can see where the gas is leaking from maybe that will help someone answer? Good luck

Diesel's DON"T use "floats".. Nor do they use gas ..The pressure is coming from the high pressure pump,, so must be downstream from that.. It could be one of the injector delivery lines,, they are steel and subject to vibration and cracking.. You also have a low pressure pump that delivers fuel to the high pressure pump,, that would explain the fuel leak with only the key in the on position..>>>Dan

Last edited:
I thought this was a forum to help individuals who are in in need but it. Seems to be a free for all know it all session . Obviously diesel generators have floats oh my gawd and even if they don’t at least I try to help people douche

I thought this was a forum to help individuals who are in in need but it. Seems to be a free for all know it all session . Obviously diesel generators have floats oh my gawd and even if they don’t at least I try to help people douche
Just curious. Where, exactly, on a fuel injected diesel motor might this float be located?

Fuel injected engines, e.g.diesels, do not have a float or a carburetor. But some Winnebago VIAs are equipped with LP generators, while others have diesel gensets. Which is yours? Onan model number would help.

Since the diesel generator has its own fuel pump and sucks fuel from the tank, any squirting fuel has to be downstream from the fuel suction pump. Usually the fuel filter is close to that pump, and the injector pump (the high pressure one) is further downstream from that. Causes could be a cracked hose or fitting, faulty or improperly installed fuel filter, or faulty injection pump.

Last edited:
I thought this was a forum to help individuals who are in in need but it. Seems to be a free for all know it all session .
I guess I don't understand your problem. Help includes getting facts straight rather than giving people incorrect information. But where's the "free for all know it all?" Is that what you call a statement of fact?

If the generator still runs then the leak is most likely between the lift pump and the high pressure pump. If the leak was after the high pressure pump the generator would probably not run.

APRILS ( sounds like a women ) in three posts has already ingratiated ( his?? ) self with this community.. Must be some kind of record..>>>Dan

I never cease to be amazed at the blatantly incorrect information posted here, combined with a fundamental lack of basic troubleshooting skills, and “fuzzy” communication.
  • Exactly which engine was shut down to stop the leak?
  • If the generator was leaking fuel, why did the vehicle have to be towed?
  • Diesel engines do not have carburetors.
  • Therefore, diesel engines do not have floats.
  • Diesel engines do not use gasoline.
Geez…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom