Diesel or gas? Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotSmart

My wife and I are looking at Newmars for full time use. Right now the question is about the advantages and disadvantages of gas vs diesel.

We plan on towing a toy hauler with an atv and run around car. Does that restrict us to diesel? 

Opinions please.

Please use search for this. There are about 1000 threads already. Anything anyone posts here will just be regurgitated from previous threads.

Welcome to the forum. Sincerely.

Welcome to The RV Forum, GotSmart!

I'm waiting until people get some experience with the new 7.3L V-8 medium-duty gas engine Ford is introducing next year as a replacement for the V-10.

It looks like a good compromise between the present light duty gas engines and the diesels and it could be a real winner coupled to their new 10 speed automatic transmission.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a27310861/ford-73-liter-gas-v8-engine/

GotSmart said:
My wife and I are looking at Newmars for full time use. Right now the question is about the advantages and disadvantages of gas vs diesel.

We plan on towing a toy hauler with an atv and run around car. Does that restrict us to diesel? 

Opinions please.
This is a bit confusing.  "Towing a toy hauler" implies a travel trailer or 5th wheel, and then are you towing a car behind the 5th wheel?  Or is this a motorhome towing a trailer with atv in it and then a car behind that?

If motorhome, then most all gas MH's I know of, are restricted to 5,000 pounds or less.  Most "large" diesel pushers can tow 10,000 pounds.  There are some diesel pushers which are limited to 5000 pounds.

If I read you right, you want to tow a trailer that can carry both an ATV and a car. That is almost surely going to exceed the tow capacity of a gas-chassis coach (usually 5000 lbs) and thus force you to a diesel pusher. The DP will be rated to tow 10,000-20,000 lbs.

A car-hauler trailer large enough for both car & atv is probably 1200-1500 lbs all by itself, plus the atv and the car.
The diesel vs gas choice goes far beyond the engine.

A DP (diesel pusher) chassis has additional features and capabilities, plus the coach built on that chassis is most always better-equipped than the nicest gas model.  Buyers willing to spend more to get a DP are also buyers looking for more amenities and and features and have the budget to pay for them. Much has been written here about the one vs  the other and a SEARCH will turn up those discussions.

I got what I needed. With diesel you have more towing capability. For me this is the deciding factor.

What is needed is a box trailer that can hold both a ATV and a small grocery getter.

Now I need to look at both trailers and cars. I have seen nice setups on the road so it is out there.  Put some solar on the roof and it is good for lighting and a freezer. Perhaps a sidekick at about 2,500 lbs and an UTV at 1,500 lbs. another 1,500 lbs for the trailer.  That leaves room for the details.

I love overkill when it comes to capability.

Now to find the right class A pusher.

Right now we are in a 2003 Dynamax Carygo, and ready to upgrade. The v10 barely can handle the current trailer and UTV.

I have seen numerous pickups towed with an ATV in the back. I presumed loaded with ramps stored in pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom