Diesel Pusher Tires (Help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedb

Hi everybody. I have a 2005 40' Beaver Monterey Laguna with 295-80R-22.5's on it. Tires are original and showing some cracking, so I want to replace them before my next trip. Currently I have the G670's on it, and I have been looking at either the same tire or possibly the Michelin XZA2's. This is the first time I have had to replace tires on a rig this big and having a little sticker shock. Basically best deal I can find is about $680/tire installed. Now my coach is 8 years old and only has 6K miles on it. We use it a lot just don't drive it much. Camping World also has Samson tires at about 70% of the price, but can't seem to find much info on them about quality. CW says they are rated "good" whereas the G670's are "Excellent". $1500 is significant, but not worth a rough ride or damage from a blowout. We Will probably only put 10K on them before needing to replace again so is quality that big a deal? Also, thought about considering Yokohama's. Any help or advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Speed, all the major tire mfr are pretty reliable as far as quality goes. I use Michelin with never any problems and less $ than the G670?s. Different mfr brands will ride and handle a bit differently based on durometer and tread pattern but I still feel this is a minor difference, not a $100/tire consideration as some mfr would have you believe. Again,  JMO.
Everyone has an opinion on mfr based on their own history all though personally I think there are only 3 things that matter. 1) Are they the correct load rating for the actual load of my vehicle. 2) Can I get a replacement on the road, if needed (this eliminates a lot of small mfrs) so I don?t have to mix brands. 3) Are they price competitive incl FET, mount, balance, etc.
When you purchase these tires first thing you have to require is that the date codes are not over 3 months old because our age out, not wear out. This is requirement for MH owners and you will not be the first to request this. If they can?t comply go elsewhere.
Where you purchase the tires does not need to be where they are installed. Many local dealers are happy to get the labor to install even if they do not sell or can?t be competitive on the price of the tire.
You can purchase the tires even at a shop that cannot install them because of their size, such as Costco, Firestone or Discount Tire, who do not install over 19? if I recall. They can order what ever size you need so base it on price delivered. If you are a member of FICM they have a factory discount on Michelin?s also. I?ll look up the info if someone doesn?t chime in here with it.
Michelins say they are good for 10 yrs. I do mine at 8 and everyone has an opinion on this also. Weight your coach, incl the toad if you have one and consider the damage if you have a blowout. You have to find your own sweet spot based on loads and inspections. A MH is not the same as an OTR vehicle that normally runs until failure. When you remove your old tires ask the dealer if he will purchase them as used OTR trlr tires.
Consider whether you wish to do balancing and what type. Most on this size use the beads and of course incl the filtered steel valve stems in the overall purchase. These items can add $25+ to each tire cost.
I would also consider a TPMS system down the road but that?s another subject. This should give you enough info to get started! Welcome to the forum also.

Join the FMCA if for no other reason than to be able to take advantage of the Michelin Advantage Program they have.  I saved $170 PER TIRE earlier this year.  I've always been happy with Michelin and had no intention of getting another brand, so the great savings was an added bonus.  Michelin also has a longer "warranty" than other tires do, 10 years vs seven. As always, there can be many different reason that tires go bad early, whether they are Michelin or something else.  My last set lasted me 9+ years.

If you are a member of FICM they have a factory discount on Michelin?s also
LOL, jeez. I?m working on a Powerstroke with a bad module, had FICM on the brain. Meant FMCA!

Back
Top Bottom