Diesels need smog checks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The bi-annual smog check was due on my Lexus, so today I gritted my teeth and sought out a smog test station. While the car was on the dyno I jokingly asked the guy if I should bring the coach by. He told me that "California is talking about imposing a smog check on diesels".

There's been a lot of rumblings in the news lately about diesels. Not smog per se, but particulate matter. Many older 18-wheeler's may have a problem, but I doubt RV's would be much affected - except for the possible requirement and hassle of yearly or bi-yearly checks. And now with the Antarctic ice shelf melting.... who knows??? (They'll probably blame it on backyard BBQ's) ::)

Tom,

Don't come to Maricopa county, AZ.

My 2000 Windsor passed its first smog test last year.

I don't know all the rules, but car s and trucks are exempt from test for the first few years (2 or 3)

Test test last year is good for two years.

Fortunately the testing station 5 miles from my house is equipped for large rigs.

ken

Ken,

Sounds like AZ is ahead of CA. We are also exempt for the first two years, then every two years. My local station could do smog on ur coach if/when required by CA.

Tom said:
The bi-annual smog check was due on my Lexus, so today I gritted my teeth and sought out a smog test station. While the car was on the dyno I jokingly asked the guy if I should bring the coach by. He told me that "California is talking about imposing a smog check on diesels".

My diesel MH gets a smog check every two years in Utah.  : :mad:

Interesting that CA would be behind the curve on this issue Phil.

New federal standards for diesel emissions are already in effect, but they apply to new production only. A "smog check" by itself need not be an issue unless the specs are unrealistic for a properly running engine of a given vintage.

Michigan's exhaust test law expiered.  As for my cars the 1992 Lumina is old enough to be exempt. I did not register it till it became exempt, The 1993 Tracer, likewise (We exmept older vehicles, For the life of me I can not understand why they did that, it's the older vehicles that need testing most)  As for the MH, well, it's too new to need testing.

But the law expiered and has not been renewed anyway so we do not require emissions testing here any more

Gary,

One of the problems in CA is that they will change the requirements on older vehicles well after they have been around for a while.  In 1998, they changed the requirements on our SeaBreeze with the Ford engine as well as the 474 Chevy one.  Both Ford and GM complained that the engines could not meet the new requirements without extensive modification.  CA said no to the modificatiosn proposed and enforced the new requirements.  We left!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom