different type WD hitch comparisons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gerry R

We currently pull our 8k bumper pull Toy hauler with an older Eaz-Lift 1,000/10,000 round bar hitch with chains. While it doesn't exceed the gross trailer weight it does exceed the tongue weight by 100-150 lbs, but so far no signs of damage. We have our trailer in the shop right now having the tongue lengthened enough to hold our Yamaha generator, a new compressor and the usual stuff: two batteries, two 7 gallon propane bottles and an electric tongue jack making the tongue about two feet longer. While I won't be able to weigh the new setup till it gets out of the shop I figure I need a hitch rated 1,400/14,000. What I'm looking for are opinions from people familiar with both the round bar types and also the trunnion types if possible. Also solid bars compared to chain types.

The general opinion seems to be that the Reese Dual Cam and the Equalizer brands of WD hitches are two of the best on the market. They incorporate sway control as well as WD, and both are trunnion-style designs. Top of the line are the ProPride and Hensley hitches, but they are extremely expensive. They are basically trunnion style as well, though there are substantial differences from the traditional style of WD hitch.

The folks at etrailer.com like the trunnion bar style. See their opinion here:
http://www.etrailer.com/question-11492.html

did I read your statement right?  your tongue weight is 100-150 Lbs over
or lets say 1100 lbs?  for an 8000 GVWR trailer, 960  lbs is 20%  so if you
then add more weight to the tongue, it would be worse.  If I read this wrong,
apologies, otherwise, re-balancing is needed.

rickf said:
did I read your statement right?  your tongue weight is 100-150 Lbs over
or lets say 1100 lbs?  for an 8000 GVWR trailer, 960  lbs is 20%  so if you
then add more weight to the tongue, it would be worse.  If I read this wrong,
apologies, otherwise, re-balancing is needed.

Maybe my math is off but I figure 1,100 lbs of 8,000 gross is about 17%. I've weighed our trailer quite a few times and if our Polaris RZR is loaded that's about right. Everybody we know that weigh their THs find that they are quite a bit more weight wise and also with more than the 10%-15% on the tongue that a regular travel trailer would have. With our RZR loaded the front axle is just about over the front axle of the trailer and the two fresh water tanks straddle the trailer axles so rearranging doesn't change alot unless we fill our fuel station, which is located at the rear but even that would only lighten the front by about 75 lbs. I figure we need about 1,200/12,000 of hitch so for overkill will probably get one 1,400/14,000 rated.

Staff edit: Fix quote

I must be using "old math", cause I get 13.75% for 1100/8000.  A bit heavy but not bad. 10-12% is the usual target for tongue weight, but a bit heavier will tow truer and sway less. If the suspension of the tow vehicle can handle it, that should be ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom