digital camera question for camera buff's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Howard,

I had started with Thumbs before Picassa was available. Didn't see any reason to change now. I'm using Ver.7 with the RAW file option. The Canon has an option to save the RAW file with any one of three sized jpegs. I'm sure Nikon must do the same.

I really hate going through manuals that large but at least the info is there somewhere. :)

I'll second setting your camera so that it makes both a raw & jpeg.? My previous camera (a Nikon D100) required you choose between the two & I can't count the number of times I used the jpeg mode to save card & buffer space but later needed to enlarge the image beyond the jpeg's capability.? I just purchased a Nikon D200 which has a huge buffer, shoots dual mode along with many other improvements.?

The biggest disadvantage of the raw mode is also its advantage - it has not been processed, so the image will probably look a bit flat.? Using Photoshop, the software provided with your camera or, in the case of Nikon, by purchasing Nikon Capture, you can modify the image, save it in a number of formats, and still keep the unmodified (raw) data.? Most people get better at processing images with practice, so you can always go back & redo your raw files as your editing abilities improve.

The Olympus E-500 is a wonderful value for the money and is more feature rich than the entry level digital SLRs from the more highly marketed Nikon and Canon offerings. I am very pleased with the performance of this camera. You can save up to $300 on a multi-lens and body kit for this camera. That can give you the capital to get yet a third lens or filters or specialty flash equipment. The sleeper in the digital SLR world IMHO.

Here is a link to a very comprehensive review.

Olympus E-500 review

The Olympus E-500 is a wonderful value ... a multi-lens and body kit for this camera. That can give you the capital to get yet a third lens or filters or specialty flash equipment.

I would run screaming from that sort of deal!
The all included Panasonic DZ30 with no need for external bits suits my lifestyle much much better. ;-)

rhmahoney said:
The Olympus E-500 is a wonderful value ... a multi-lens and body kit for this camera. That can give you the capital to get yet a third lens or filters or specialty flash equipment.

I would run screaming from that sort of deal!
The all included Panasonic DZ30 with no need for external bits suits my lifestyle much much better. ;-)

Hey Russ -- that reminds me of in 1965, I was close to buying a brand new Red Porche 356SC coupe with a chrome luggage carrier on the bonnet for $5,200 out the door. It was a special deal as that was the last year of that classic body -- and the 911 was to be introduced in '66.

When I mentioned this to one of my good friends, he replied:

"I would run screaming from that sort of deal!
The all included Chevy Pickup with no need for external bits suits my lifestyle much much better. ;-)"

Only kidding, of course  ;)

I agree with Russ.  We like our Panasonic DMC-FZ30.  I have carried a collection of lenses and things in the past and much prefer to have everything built in like 12 times stabilized Zoom lens.

Ron said:
I agree with Russ.? We like our Panasonic DMC-FZ30.? I have carried a collection of lenses and things in the past and much prefer to have everything built in like 12 times stabilized Zoom lens.

Yes, I hear you Ron.? I don't use a camera case -- I use a camera bag.? :)

The person that is OK with the range and features of your camera is probably set for quite awhile. I see it as the best in it's class for now.

OTOH, the shooter that desires more range, your camera, or any Non DSLR will not work for them (and I understand that that is NOT you, Ron). For example if I needed a shot at f1.4 or f22.0 or more, I'm out of luck with the FZ30 -- if I need an ISO higher than 400, again, out of luck. And so on and so . . .

The point is, the DSLR gives the shooter more range - and a perfect VF. When I can afford it, I plan to add a f1.4 lens or whatever lens comes along that I need. As this rapidly changing technology advances, I can update the body w/o having to buy a new lens. I really wanted a D30 body, but perhaps in a few years.

So again, it's a case of what works for the individual. In the meantime, the E500 by Olympus is, as stated in a previous post -- a great deal on a DSLR camera. It IS feature rich and the price is right, and hardly a deal to "run from screaming" if one is needing a DSLR camera. :) ;) To the contrary, it should be a must in ones evaluation. It was in mine.

I guess this would be a good place to post this question, along with Cheryl's inquiry. 

We too are in the market to upgrade from our shoot and point digital.  I have used a DF's Cannon that I loved.  My two complaints about our current camera is there is no zoom and the time lapse between pictures; I tend to lose those great shots.  Our friends' camera, I was able to capture many pictures (a thresher shark being caught by his daughter).  Our camera if you attempt to get to close to an image (flower, hummingbird) or the light is not right, the picture blurrs.

Another reason we (me  :p) are researching a Cannon is DH's 45mm is a Cannon with the accessory lenses sitting in his camera bag in the bottom of the closet;  Since I have some of the toys (hopefully interchangable) I would like to utilize them.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  I will be checking into the digital camera review link posted earlier, thanks for that lead as well.

re SLR vs non-SLRs:

I am a sports photography hobbyist.? I already own a Canon Mark IIN with multiple prime and zoom lenses.? But when I go for family functions? I like the cheaper pocket-jobs like the Canon Sure Shot (wife's camera).? I certainly know that I trade off quality for ease of use (ie not having a sore neck).? There are multiple small (pocket size) cameras on the market that take nice "vacation shots".? They may not be good for "birding" but for that you need the expensive stuff.

I DO take my SLR with me on trips and use it when I can.? But I don't want to carry the thing around all day and opt for the Sure Shot when out and about.

Here is a shot of a pitcher with a 300mm prime:  http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Baseball/SCI/03042006LakeCo/lc17.jpg

Here is a blown up view up just the hand and ball:  http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Baseball/SCI/03042006LakeCo/lc16.jpg

You can gather from that the benefits of the SLR for wildlife shots where you can't get close.  That that type of equipment is almost impossible to hand hold and needs to be on at least a monopod.

I love the clarity of the example.  I want the camera for many reasons, fishing action shots, (DH is itching to get that shark!); along with wildlife, family functions, etc..

I did not think of the stability factor, though...hmmmm (especially on a rocking boat)..

ttbeachbum said:
I did not think of the stability factor, though...hmmmm (especially on a rocking boat)..

This one is shot with an SLR at 17mm:  http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Fishing/Milner1web.jpg

The wide angle makes things closer to the camera look bigger.....shhhhhhhh

In a small boat at 17-40mm zoom works nice.

ttbeachbum said:
I love the clarity of the example.  I want the camera for many reasons, fishing action shots, (DH is itching to get that shark!); along with wildlife, family functions, etc..

Stability can be a real problem but, if you have the funds, the newer image stabilized lenses help a lot in that respect. Even then some shots will still require a tripod or monopod. The directions with IS lenses also say to turn off the IS when using a tripod. Has something to do with interaction. I've done both and can't really see any difference but I'm no expert. I only wish all of my lenses were IS!!

Jim Dick said:
The directions with IS lenses also say to turn off the IS when using a tripod. Has something to do with interaction. I've done both and can't really see any difference but I'm no expert. I only wish all of my lenses were IS!!

I've shot it with the IS on, and off, and can't tell the difference with quality when using a monopod.  Most of my sports shots are at shutter speeds where IS is not needed anyway.  I HAVE found the IS lenses very useful when handholding "vacation" shots, where my subject is not moving.  I also turn the IS off when my batteries are low.

I also turn the IS off when I'm intentionally doing "panning" shots, where I slow the shutter speed down and pan (move) with my subject.

Here is an example of a panning shot: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/p8.jpg

ChinMusic said:
I've shot it with the IS on, and off, and can't tell the difference with quality when using a monopod.  Most of my sports shots are at shutter speeds where IS is not needed anyway.  I HAVE found the IS lenses very useful when handholding "vacation" shots, where my subject is not moving.  I also turn the IS off when my batteries are low.

I also turn the IS off when I'm intentionally doing "panning" shots, where I slow the shutter speed down and pan (move) with my subject.

Here is an example of a panning shot: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/p8.jpg

Hi Cy,

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't see much difference. :) Interesting shot with panning. I haven't tried that yet but have seen many examples. It sure does enhance the photo when done correctly.

I will chime in with Russ and Ron.  We have the DMC-FZ30 also.  Bought it after reading about it here on the forum and checking with professional reviews.  I am a former Pentax MX SLR user.  With the DMC-FZ30, I am hard pressed any more to see a benefit in the SLR.  True, the viewfinder shows you in natural optics, what your film lens is seeing.  But the FZ30 LCD shows the same thing electronically, and as you make adjustments, shows you exactly what your picture will look like BEFORE you take the picture.

Unless you are truly a professional, it would be hard to find a camera that can do more for you than the FZ30.  And the reasonable price is an added bonus.  I looked long and hard at the Canon Rebel XT.  In the end I chose the DMC-FZ30 and price was NOT a consideration.

Two words.... Canon Digital Rebel. (three words actually).

You can't go wrong with Canon and glass is everything!  Every canon lens every made will fit every Canon SLR ever made and that will be made in the future. You can start at entry level under $100 or go as high as $5-6,000. They have a wonderful support site. I am on my third camera and waiting for christmas when Santa brings me the new 30D (unless they have a 40D and then he's bringing me that one).

You can't go wrong with Canon.

lorrir said:
Two words.... Canon Digital Rebel. (three words actually).

You can't go wrong with Canon and glass is everything!? Every canon lens every made will fit every Canon SLR ever made and that will be made in the future. You can start at entry level under $100 or go as high as $5-6,000. They have a wonderful support site. I am on my third camera and waiting for christmas when Santa brings me the new 30D (unless they have a 40D and then he's bringing me that one).

You can't go wrong with Canon.

Do you suppose Santa keeps up with all the changes coming out in new digital models?  ???

The new Canon Rebel XTi is out and has a 10mp sensor -- whereas the 30D only has 8 (if I recall). Am sure the 40D will have 10, but in the meantime, you may be better off with an XTi vs. a 30D. I purchased an XT a few months back and couldn't see the features/cost benefit of the 30D at the time over the XT -- at least for my needs.

Fortunately, the updates to the XT in the XTi other than sensor size are not significant. I see that as probably true in the Panasonic FZ50 update of the FZ30. Other than sensor size, the features are pretty much the same as in the FZ30. I'm big on super high resolution, but now we're looking at 8 vs. 10 as opposed to 2 vs. 4 in earlier models -- so one can be content with their current model for a much longer time frame.

Anyway, I hope Santa gets the right model for you . . .  :)

Bob,

I need the metal body because I shot motorsports. My son races dirt bikes and I shoot for the series magazine. I love the Rebel but need the sturdier body because of the elements and the long lenses I use. When Canon releases an updated Rebel they put all of the new goodies in it. If they work they release them in newest new semi-pro/pro model. I can't afford the pro bodies would rather invest in glass. But would sure love to have a full sensor.

By the way Santa is my husband.

Lorri:

>> I need the metal body because I shot motorsports. My son races dirt bikes and I shoot for the series magazine.
====
That makes sense -- tho I do like the lighter weight. They don't make car or camera bodies the way they used to.

>> When Canon releases an updated Rebel they put all of the new goodies in it. If they work they release them in newest new semi-pro/pro model.
====
They also work the other way -- in that they will put some small feature in a next step model, such as the D30, that isn't in the Rebel. The idea being the buyer will pay the extra amount to get that feature. At the time, I really wanted a spot meter -- but for some reason it is not in the Rebel but "was" in the competing model by Nikon (the D70s). It worked out because what they call a spot meter is really a 3-5 degree meter vs. a 1 degree. The Rebel has a 6-8 degree (or close to that) that they call a "partial". It worked out because further checking showed that the D30 "doesn't" have a one degree meter -- it is really a 3.5 instead. I actually prefer my hand held one degree meter anyway -- especially if shooting from a tripod. So am not sure such a built in meter makes a lot of sense anyway.

>> I can't afford the pro bodies would rather invest in glass. But would sure love to have a full sensor.
====
Money also keeps me from a lot of toys that I really want. And I agree about good glass. I do primarily portraits, groups, functions and then scenery for myself. So have started with an 18-200mm (about 28-300 in a 35). I then picked up a Canon 50mm 1.8 (about an 80mm in a 35) as a portrait lens for now. Together, they give me an aperture range of F1.8 to F40.0. That Canon 50 at 1.8 and an ISO of 1600 is almost like having night vision. But it's main purpose for me is the shallow DF for portraits.

>> By the way Santa is my husband.
====
Well now, that's a good deal to have . . .? :)? Keep us posted on what you wind up with on Christmas morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom