DirecWay 6000 to DirecWay 7000 upgrade problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
A recent upgrade from the DW 6000 modem to the DW 7000 modem was anything but straightforward. A replacement modem (no help) and several calls to 2nd level DW Tech Support and the problem was solved - power supply (Thanks Ned for use of your new power supply).  Contact me for details about problem symptoms and resolution - don't want to take up space here if you're not planning on upgrading or having a problem doing so.

I just upgraded to the DW7000 with no problems so far.  The upgrade was straight forward and worked just like the instructions said it would.  Did you let DW know about the power supply problem?

Karl said:
Contact me for details about problem symptoms and resolution - don't want to take up space here if you're not planning on upgrading or having a problem doing so.

Karl, please feel free to post the details. There could be a number of folks here, including myself, who are thinking of upgrading.

Thanks.

O.k Tom, Here are the details exactly as I posted them on the Broadband  Dsl forum:

STOP THE PRESSES!

Just got new power supply from DW and... and... and...
it works! Ta da!

Original symptoms: After cabling up new 7000 modem, power was applied and all (5) front panel lights came on, stayed on for about 50 seconds, then went to only power light. This repeated roughly every 50 seconds. Normally you'd expect to see the LAN light come on after about 30 seconds followed by the receive, then transmit, but this never happened. Lights on NIC and rear of modem showed connectivity but Network Connections said there wasn't any. Replacement modem received; same problem.

Summary: If you experience the same symptoms, run, do not walk, to your telephone and tell DW to send a new power supply. In spite of their comments to the contrary, the original DW6000 power supply doesn't always work. Part numbers (1031105-0001), revision (B), model (ADP-0641-M2) are all the same, label is identical except for different serial number. No way to tell one from the other except that one works, and the old one doesn't. Friends power supply shipped with DW7000 also worked.

Hope this helps someone - Thanks for all your attempts at resolving my problem.

Addendum: Upgrade packages (new DW 7000 modems) come without a new power supply. They say your present power supply (the one that came with the DW 6000) will work. Maybe it will; in my case it didn't. A replacement DW 7000 was shipped (to the wrong address) but didn't work either. Checked all cables by substiitution, swapped NIC cards (have 2 installed; one for a network printer), Un-installed and re-installed network connectiuon - all to no avail. Talking with 1st level DW tech support (and I use that term loosely), will gain you nothing. Ask immediately for 2nd level. Even they could not believe that 2 modems would fail in exactly the same manner, but the second tech, out of sheer frustration, said he would send a new power supply. H-ll, we eliminated everything else! While waiting for the new p.s. to arrive, I tried Ned's. His upgrade came with a new p.s., but he didn't have any problems using his old 6000 p.s. Surprise! It worked! Today I received my 'new' power supply (they actually shipped it to the correct address; but that's another LONG story!) , plugged it in and IT worked too! Go figure :mad:

OUCH!

I just ordered my upgrade on Tuesday.  Hope the darn thing works when it gets here.  Hope they are serious about the two week order interval as we want to take it to QZ where there will be lots of experts to help me.  ;D

Wonder why Ned got a new power supply with his order and you didn't?

I bought my DW7000 from Motosat through a dealer and not from Hughes as an upgrade.  I kept my DW6000 as well.

Don't we get to keep our DW6000 Ned?  I didn't see anything about sending the old unit back, but I might have missed the fine print.  I guess I won't have any use for it but the shipping cost to return it might defeat all the savings.

You get to keep your 6000 you just don't get a new power supply.  But then you don't pay as much either.

Karl,

What kind of speeds do you get on the 7000?

Mine are as follows using test mynet this morning.

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 200 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 24 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server1)
Test Time:: Wed Jan 4 06:44:27 MST 2006
Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 42.67 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 177.78 % faster than the average for host
(direcpc.com)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-JK9ATZRCG

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 1119 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
Download Speed is:: 137 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Wed Jan 4 06:45:37 MST 2006
Bottom Line:: 20X faster than 56K 1MB download in 7.47 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 22.16 % faster than the average for host
(direcpc.com)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-RB4UMT5F6

Smoky,

You keep your old modem. What's the problem with only one power supply? You can't use more than one modem at a time anyway. Nice to have a bcakup modem in case the 7000 takes a dive. You'd have to go thru the 'swap' process and re-register (probably with different satellite settings), but at least you wouldn't have to wait for a new modem to be shipped. I'm going to check on price of extra p.s. just to have all bases covered.

Ron,

Last night I was getting a little over 100kB/s download on the 2.9mB file, and 22kB/s on upload of 579kB file. Tests at 9:30 this a.m. were somewhat slower at around 800/22, but I attribute that to higher activity on the transponder (more traffic).

Karl said:
Last night I was getting a little over 100kB/s download on the 2.9mB file, and 22kB/s on upload of 579kB file. Tests at 9:30 this a.m. were somewhat slower at around 800/22, but I attribute that to higher activity on the transponder (more traffic).

Not to brag or anything BUT I just ran a bandwidth test on my cable connection and have a 4087 kbps download and a 507 kbps upload.  ;D ;D

Not to brag or anything BUT I just ran a bandwidth test on my cable connection and have a 4087 kbps download and a 507 kbps upload.  Grin Grin

Yeah Bernie, but it'll cost you about $8000 to run your cable out to QZ :p :p :p

BTW: Hotspot connections will be free to everyone else; you'll have to pay by the minute. So there! ;D

Karl said:
Yeah Bernie, but it'll cost you about $8000 to run your cable out to QZ :p :p :p

My QZ cables are about 1 meter long, they hook up to my SprintPCS phone. Not as fast as my home cable but usually as fast trhuput as when I am hotspotting on your satellite link :)

Karl:

You are right about the spare modem.  But it would also be nice to have a spare power supply based on what I have read.

When I lost my power supply Ron's dealer had a helluva time coming up with one for me.  Fortunately I found mine in the coach basement before we had to struggle through that process.  The dealer said they are not normally sold as a standalone.  Ned might be happy some day that he has a spare one.

Back
Top Bottom