Direcway Roof Mounts Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Guess that cheese will be extra sharp by next year. ;D ;D

Karl,

Let me do some checking around for what is now available for roof mounts.  Last I heard the mounts like Bob's and mine are still available.

Sure does make setup easier.

I'd be interested in a roof mount too Ron, although I'm really gun shy about drilling holes in my roof. Maybe a job for Moab?

Tom,
Holes are merely voids without substance :) Haven't you heard about Liquid Nails, pop rivets, contact cement, or duct tape??? Seriously, my main concern would be finding a substantial footing for the mount, which may require a large baseplate of some sort, or at least knowledge of where the main structural supports are located. 

Tom said:
I'd be interested in a roof mount too Ron, although I'm really gun shy about drilling holes in my roof. Maybe a job for Moab?
I have inquiries as to the availability of two different mounts one like Bob Terry and I have and another that can be seen in the attached photo.  This roof mount has not been painted yet when photo was taken. Will let you knowmore details as I get them.
l

Attachments

• DSC01424 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01424 (Medium).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 30
Karl

You have to understand that we lost the entire roof of our Pace Arrow. A sad story for one evening over a Guiness. But it left me paranoid about leaks. Yes, I've used and have access to some excellent sealants, but duct tape  ???  ;D

Interesting Ron, thanks for posting the photo. I haven't seen what yours/Terry's looks like to be able to compare.

Photos of my mount are attached.

Attachments

• DSCN1985 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1985 (Large).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1986 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1986 (Large).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 29
The Guiness sounds inviting Karl. BTW I have a  roll of double sided tape I can use instead of duct tape.

Interesting on the roof mounts.  My mount has those black handels for adusting the level.  We leveled it when we installed it, with the coach level, and  I haven't had to level it since. I do have a level on the mount which always shows level when the coach is level.  I have checked the mast for plumb using a fence post level a few times but it has never required adjustment.  Level the coach and the mast is plumb.

Ron,
Good point. In theory and in practice, you shouldn't need to level it as there will only be one combination of azimuth and elevation that is correct. But, let's say you went to dump and returned to the same spot. Yes, you'd have to realign but the original settings should be very close to correct. I too level the mount before doing any other adjustments. Also, I've noticed that the highest receive signal strength is not always the best thing to have when adjusting the skew. Sometimes I'll have to adjust the elevation slightly to get a pass. Anyone else run into that?

Karl,

With the roof mount if the coach is level the mount is level and the mast is plumb.  I have checked several times but have never readjusted since installation of the mount.  I have on a couple ocassions noticed the levels on the mount showing an unlevel condition.  Just asked my driver to relevel the coach and after she did that all was level.  Reason the coach was unlevel was one of the jacks sunk into the ground.

Yes I have found that to pass cross pol one may have to adjust either the Azmuth or elevation.  Doesn't happen often though.

Ron,

How about splitting off this fairly long thread on DirectWay antennas from the "Bob Buchanan is checking in..." thread and renaming it to "DirectWay antenna roof mounts" or something similar?  It would make it easier for anyone who might have an interest in the subject to find it.  ;D

Thanks for reminding me Don.  I had planned on doing that earlier this morning but guess I got caught up in answering messages and such and forgot to.

Ron said:
Thanks for reminding me Don. I had planned on doing that earlier this morning but guess I got caught up in answering messages and such and forgot to.

Glad to be of help  ;D ;D ;D.

Karl:

kkolbus said:
But, let's say you went to dump and returned to the same spot. Yes, you'd have to realign but the original settings should be very close to correct. I too level the mount before doing any other adjustments. Also, I've noticed that the highest receive signal strength is not always the best thing to have when adjusting the skew. Sometimes I'll have to adjust the elevation slightly to get a pass. Anyone else run into that?

In the early days we mounted the house roof mast and dish on a 2x4' piece of plywood on the ground and got it close to level with shims - then fine tuned with two separated nuts on each mast bolt. Fine tuning when we first started using tripods was done the same way (before the CofG offsets were introduced vs. just a plate on top of the pod). I found myself fine tuning the elevation (after peaking the azimuth) by tweaking the elevation up or down - which in turn moved it to a different elevation than called for from the zip code.

However, this only told me that I wasn't right on with a vertical mast. If the mast is close to perfectly vertical, the readings from the zipcode (or Lat/Long) will work every time. And that follows through with cross pol. The reason I have enjoyed the roof mount that Ron and Terry also use (other than convenience) is the ability to level the mast quickly and very accruately. Since using this roof mount, I have "never" had to adjust skew to pass cross pol. Actually, in the 3 plus years that I have been using the Direcway dish - I have never adjusted the skew to pass cross pol. I attribute that to finding ways to make that mast as close to vertical as possible.

My rig doesn't have auto levelers - and I only make it level enough to make my frig door not swing either way when open. So each time I set up, I use the 4 cranks plus leveling bubbles on the dish mount to do that final level. Takes from 5 to 10 seconds max. If I go the dump, or move the rig to and from the same spot for whatever reason, I just lower the dish (leaving the elevation and skew as is) and readjust the azimuth and frig door on my return. It then quickly passes cross pol again.

The only area that I have had to adjust az or elevation to get Xpol is in Mt.  Even with the mast plumb.  But MT is in the red and green zone for Sat 117.

Bob/Ron

You're absolutely right about levelling for a vertical mast. A few days ago I moved my tripod from the front yard (where Jim Dick had been using it) to my neighbor's rear yard. The only thing I did was make sure the tripod was level i.e. the mast was vertical, and no other adjustments were needed.

Edit: Added photo of dual coax entering neighbor's house through window.

Attachments

• dish-frontyard.jpg
    dish-frontyard.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 26
  • dish-sideyard.jpg
    dish-sideyard.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 23
  • coax-window.jpg
    coax-window.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 21
More than once I have helped others having difficulty getting proper alignment of the Satellite and the only problem was they didn't have the mast plumb.  If I help somebody I usually check to insure the mast is plumb.

Back
Top Bottom