Direcway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify, Datastorm owners are not supported directly by Hughes, but must contract for service and support from a VAR.  Tripod owners technically are Hughes customers but in fact get their support from their dealers.  There is no known FCC regulation preventing the use of a tripod mounted 2 way satellite antenna other than the 4 watt transmitter regulation which does not apply as the normal transmitter on a DirecWay system is 1 watt (or 2 watt now with some larger dishes).

Ned is absolutely correct regarding the legality of using DW on a tripod.  Actually it is my understanding that Starband owners also get their first line of support from the dealer they purchased from.  It is not illegal it is however that DW does not support Mobile use directly, with Motosat and such its the VAR/s that provide support and with tripoders it is the installing dealer that provides support.  It is important to insure you buy from a good dealer that give you proper training will help you.  Personally I did research the legality of using two way internet Mobil before I bought my setup four years ago and could not find any regulation against it.

While either Starband or Direcway manual systems are both very good they both fall under the same regulations.  The big difference is that Starband, with the help of Ron Brundage in Gila bend,  has developed a program that includes a video of the setup procedures.  Direcway has not done this but dealers have taken on providing the proper training.  I might also add the Ron Brundage was the first Starband Mobil Flyer dealer and the only one for a year after the program was started.

I also researched the relevant FCC regulations, although more recently than Ron, and couldn't find anything prohibiting tripod installations. I've also read Hughes directives to dealers/installers.

As for "special instruments", a standard tripod system comes with the only instrument needed, as part of the hardware/installation; This instrument is used during dish setup to peak the signal and minimize cross-pol error. Some of us have purchased an upgraded, more expensive portable instrument, but that merely makes it easier to find and lock onto the right satellite, peak the signal and optimize cross-pol. The "testing" is all done automatically between the modem software and the DW server and is reported on the screen of the PC.

Tripod installations from the few DW installers I know personally include extensive hands-on training, online help and ready phone help from the installer.

After you've set up your tripod and dish a few times, 15 minutes is about all it takes regardless of having viewed a video or not. Some people have said that tripod users mess up other users by not pointing correctly, but that's just smoke. If you're not on-target, you won't pass cross-pol and will not get online. Typically tripod users don't need tech support as we don't use controllers and as such don't have software or other hardware issues to be resolved. Would I like a MotoSat setup? You betcha, but I can't afford it and I don't see where Starband will make any difference in signal quality or cros-poll correction. My OPI gives me all the info I need.

I think the more expensive meter you mentioned is required in the Starband Mobile Flyer program unless they changed it.  The OPI won't work with Starband.

I'm glad I had the BD meter for another reason. While we were away last week, I had a contractor replace the siding on our chimney. Sure enough, when we got home, the DTV receiver couldn't find the satellite. The guys had made a good visual guess as to where to re-attach the dish to the 2x6, but missed the satellite. It took all of a few seconds to find the sat and peak the signal with the BD.

I suppose a "marriage saver" would do the same thing, but I've screwed around with one of those things for some time, not knowing I was peaking on the wrong satellite. There's no mistaking with a BD.

Quite frequently I get the opportunity to help another RVer point their TV dish or sometimes even the DW dish.  Of course I use the BD and it makes things easy.  Great tool even if it was a bit pricey.

Ron,

I'm just glad you dropped the hint that day at Gila Bend when Glenn had his last BD meter for sale. Definitely a useful tool and saves lots of time. No need to keep going in and out of the coach to look at the OPI.

$4xx would be a good deal Smoky. I paid over $500 and thought I was having an OK deal. A used one was sold by a forum member a year or so ago for around $300.

I don't think it's fair to ask Ron what his dealer price would be.

Smoky said:
Can you share?? They are running in the 400s for consumers.

OK I said 500 but maybe 480.  I really haven't even looked for a BD in QZ but I do know the dealers. I will send you a PM.

Tom,

No need to keep going in and out of the coach to look at the OPI.

Don't you have one of those yellow OPI's that connects between the receive antenna cable and the cable that runs into your coach? If everythings goes smoothly, you should only have to be inside to enable the OPI and select "Display Signal Strength", go to the antenna for pointing and peaking with the OPI. One more trip inside to select the manual skew test, back out and use the OPI to adjust it, then run an automatic test to finalize it.

If nothing else, get an access point/router, take your laptop out with you and connect to 192.168.0.1 and do all your setup from there.

The big advantage of the BD, and especially for us that have roof mounts is one trip to the Antenna to point peak no need to even have the modem on.  When peaked go inside and turn on the modem when its ready to go your on.  No second trip out to remove the OPI. Now don't get me wrong the OPI is a great tool and does a great job. I also have an OPI but use the BD except when doing an install and teaching somebody how.

Karl - what Ron said. I ahve an OPI but don't need to use it.

I just remembered that my DW certified installer did use one additional "instrument" and a technique that was developed long before satellites, electronics or technobabble. He looked at the instrument (his watch), estimated where the sun would be relative to the dish when at its highest point (i.e. where south was), then guestimated how many degrees he needed to rotate the dish. Since he'd installed numerous dishes in and around this location, he knew what the azimuth and elevation should be.

He was pretty darned close and just needed to tweak the dish to lock on the bird, peak the signal and pass cross-pol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom