Direcway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John:

John In Detroit said:
And folks, the requirement that TRANSMISSION (internet) antennas be installed by a certified installer is a FEDERAL requirement, Yes the companies are trying to get permission for us users to do it, but it's the FCC that has to be convinced.

This thread weaves around a bit - and a lurker may get a bit confused  <g>, but I don't believe anyone has said that the source of all the alleged requirements that Hughes passed on to Datastorm did not originate with the FCC. The whole thing started when Motosat asked Hughes if it was OK to build the auto unit - and Hughes then went to the FCC - and the FCC said, sure, it you do, 1,2,3, etc. as listed here (I posted #5, and Blueblood some info on the others). Of course, no one even knows if any of that really happened based on how many MotoSat dealers are now selling Tripod mounts as well.

Most of us have been fairly convinced that there are no FCC regulations as such here, but rather just some alleged stipulations the FCC  laid on Hughes before Hughes could issue a license to MotoSat to market the auto dish. And no one really know that for sure. There are a number of rules in the FCC regs about dishes that transmit - but obviously none of them were written specifically about the 2-Way Internet dish that is the subject of this thread.

Bob Buchanan said:
John:

John In Detroit said:
And folks, the requirement that TRANSMISSION (internet) antennas be installed by a certified installer is a FEDERAL requirement, Yes the companies are trying to get permission for us users to do it, but it's the FCC that has to be convinced.

This thread weaves around a bit - and a lurker may get a bit confused  <g>, but I don't believe anyone has said that the source of all the alleged requirements that Hughes passed on to Datastorm did not originate with the FCC. The whole thing started when Motosat asked Hughes if it was OK to build the auto unit - and Hughes then went to the FCC - and the FCC said, sure, it you do, 1,2,3, etc. as listed here (I posted #5, and Blueblood some info on the others). Of course, no one even knows if any of that really happened based on how many MotoSat dealers are now selling Tripod mounts as well.

Most of us have been fairly convinced that there are no FCC regulations as such here, but rather just some alleged stipulations the FCC  laid on Hughes before Hughes could issue a license to MotoSat to market the auto dish. And no one really know that for sure. There are a number of rules in the FCC regs about dishes that transmit - but obviously none of them were written specifically about the 2-Way Internet dish that is the subject of this thread.

When this stuff all started several years ago, I placed a call to FCC Technical group and discussed with an engineer the reasons for the requirements as promulgated by Hughes. I was trying to determine if they had laid these down, if they were accurate as stated and most importantly was trying to see if I could find some hole that tripod users could crawl through. He reaffirimed the requirements, not specifically as written but in terms of content, and was very adamant about the need for these because of safety. I was quite surpised that he seemed to be willing to take the time to talk to me in some detail about the whole technology. I had assumed it would be nearly impossible for an individual to connect with one of the engineers. However, at the end of the day I couldn't get him to budge on anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom