Disability Issues in RVs and while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernerGran

Hello to All,

I posted in the newcomer section, but I will give a quick summary. My husband and I have been traveling in RVs since 1972. About that time, I was diagnosed with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was able to get around, did much walking in places throughout the USA, and just hurt when I had to get up again. I didn't need anything extra to make my life easier or possible.

Throughout the years, my RA has worstened, and now it is virtually impossible for me to walk around sight-seeing for instance. With my limited mobility, I have weaker muscles, etc.

Last year, we purchased a used National Class A Sea Breeze on a bus chassis. Fabulous storage, but guess who could not get in an out of it. Da Da! We're probably the only people who would spend that kind of money on a vehicle I could not access. We had been researching a company in Indiana who manufactured custom seat lifts. So that's what we did. It was very expensive, but since we definitely we not ready yet to quit RVing, it was a no choic/no brainer. It works well, and we can continue to travel. The storage space underneath is so good that my electric scooter fits in one of the bays.

My limitations are primarily with mobility issues, but it is getting more and more difficult for me to stand for long periods of time. Thankfully, my husband is willing and able to cook, and help me out.

We travel with Bernese Mountain Dogs, and they ride well.

I'd be interested in having discussions on this matter - what works for one, might just work, and help others.

So, chime in!

Best,
BernerGran

Old topic but here goes.  My parents had almost the same problem.  We found that the mobility chair would not fit into the RV so we started looking around for a way to haul it.  We ended up with a VH-MS from VersaHaul.  Works perfect and now the chair is always there with them and they do not have to take it apart or anything, just run it up the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom