Dish Network vs Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldude

Can the same antennae and LNB be used for Dish Network that I used for Direct TV?  If I change Recievers and use the same "other" hook-up will it still work?

Yes, the same LNB will work for both.  You will have to repoint to the correct satellite, of course.

Going to Dish, you may want to get at least the Dish 500 LNB as that will allow changing satellites without moving the dish.  On the other hand if you already have a dish on the roof, the only way to do this is to upgrade.  :-((

I use the point and search "Tri-Pod" method of satilite signal retreival.  The LNB and antenna I have for Direct TV is a Sony brand.
I didn't want to spend more $$$ unecessarily if I didn't have to.  One guy I talked to had a Dish network setup with a dual LNB pickup on it....but he said that was for HD TV and I wouldn't need it for normal signals....(hope that's true) Direct Tv irritated me for the last time by changing their "easy listening"  music to strictly XM radio programming which does not have instrumental only music available  (on my package) So to get what I want I have to go to Dish Network.

do some checking locally and you may be able to get the Dish 500 LNB.  I got mine free from the local cable company.  I told them why I wanted it and them gave it to me.  Note:  I am a cable subscriber so as soon as I satisfied them that I was not going to cancel the cable, i got it.  BG

I'm enjoying the XM radio channels on DTV, the old channels were very repetitive. ?I've heard every piece on our favorite channels too many times. ?It's nice to get some fresh music :)

Ned said:
I'm enjoying the XM radio channels on DTV, the old channels were very repetitive. ?I've heard every piece on our favorite channels too many times. ?It's nice to get some fresh music :)

The XM radio on DTV has done to things for us. 1. Convinced us that we want nothing to do with XM radio and 2. we are checking out Dish network for possible change of service provider.  We are very disappointed with DTV's change to XM Radio.

I expect we listen to very different channels.  The classical and jazz selections are an improvement.  I can't address the country and western or rock channels as I don't pollute my environment with any of them :)

As we don't pollute our environment with Jazz and rock.? The big thing is with the old programing you got music and NO chatter.? We much preferred the classical and country on the old programing since it was all music and NO chatter in between.? Sam is not at all pleased with the XM radio and if Sam isn't pleased I am not pleased.? Basically the XM radio on DTV can be described in two words "IT STINKS"

[tt]
James Godward said:
Ron,

If it has a lot of talk, we would not like it either.  We like Dish with Sirius music because of the continuous play.  BG

Dish is beginning to look better and better.  We will get to looking into possibly switching services.  XM Radio just doesn't have anything we want.

Ron said:
[tt]
Dish is beginning to look better and better.  We will get to looking into possibly switching services.  XM Radio just doesn't have anything we want.

Ron,

Dish carries Sirius music channels.  I have Sirius Radio in the car and I find the music stations to be pretty much the same as the XM channels on DirecTV.  If you want to switch from DirecTV to Dish, I would not make the decision on the music channels.  They both have the obnoxious DJ's.

Phil

Oldude said:
Can the same antennae and LNB be used for Dish Network that I used for Direct TV?  If I change Receivers and use the same "other" hook-up will it still work?

Oldude:

We started with Dish and switched to Direct because the single LNB on our m/h had to be manually switched to Sat 110 or 119 if we changed channels (Dish splits the channels between the two Sats). . DirecTV is the one that uses the second SAT for HD, DirecTV uses both for regular channels

The 501 antennae and LNB from Dish has a dual LNB and oval dish that can receive both at the same time, our Direct dish is  round with a dual LNB that picks up one sat at a time..

Ron:

I also would not switch to Dish because of music alone.  Not only does it also require two sats for total coverage, it also is at a low angle on the horizon.  I have been in a few campgrounds where the margin was such that we were getting Direct TVs and our neighbors were not getting Dish.

I do like the free local stations that Dish gives you, however.  Not quite enough incentive for me to switch though, especially in a motorhome.

I don't really like Dish much that is why we have DTV.  But DTV has been getting me upset at them and the STINKING MX Radio crap is just about the last straw.  I won't make any rash decisions that I would regret.

LOL Ron, sorry you are upset.

I took my first tour of XM on DTV today, not knowing until i read it here what had happened.  I liked what I listened to.  Jazz and classical are my favorites, with a little country thrown in.  I was happy to see opera added, the previous DTV did not have opera.

So far all the talk I hear is about the music, which I like.  A lot of time it is playing in the background, and I want to know what the music is and cannot look up.  The voice tells me.  Unless they start shouting or hawking ads, I will be happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom