dishnetwork and rvs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjc

We just heard from some friends that you can no longer use your home dishnetwork box in your motorhome.  Friends of theirs were watching their dishnetwork while out camping and it quit working in the middle of a program.  They were told it was because they can no longer use the box from their home in their motorhome.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  Is this true?  We are having DishNetwork installed in our home on Sunday and have been planning to take one of the boxes in the motorhome so we would have satellite tv while on the road.  We might want to reconsider if we will not be able to do this.  Thanks for any information you can share with us.

You may use your Dish receiver in your RV BUT the DNS (Distant Network Service) which provides the major networks while away from your domicile of record is no longer active. this means you will lose your local channels by the time you are 150-200 miles from home.

There is a company providing that service to Dish Network customers for $10.00 a month that I believe is shown on the Dish info channel but usually that service is only available to mobile customers, not a service contract tied to your home address.

What Jeff Said:

Dish Network did not follow the rules when it comes to offering Distant Network Service, they gave it to people not qualified, including folks who used it at home.  If your friends live in an area where they could get regular television and they had Distant Network Service (Where you pick one or two major cities like Los Angles or New York or, in my case Chicago) then on 12-1 or thereabouts they shut off that service... Other "Dish only" channels, like Biography, still work.

But if they had DNS at their house, when they were not supposed to, then THEY are part of the problem.

If everything went dark, their receiver went bad..

I have dish in my RV, I can get all my regular DISH channels, and when I'm close to home all my regular "Off The Air" Stations as well (Though a bunch better than off the air)  but if I'm a thousand miles away, as I am now.... I'm out of luck network wise far as Dish is concerned.  Since I watch only one satellite (110) I can't even use the alternative service since they only lease space on 119.

Another part of the problem is that when Congress adopted the laws regarding Sat-television they never envisioned that someone would play fast and loose with the rules.. So they never built in a penality other than loss of license.  Dish lost that portion of their license in effect (Judge issued an injunction, he had no choice)  There is a move to correct that oversite but it may be too little too late.

Anotehr part of the problem has to do with who owned (till very recently) Fox TV.

But if those who were not eligable for Distant Network Service, had not gotten it anyway.. There would be no problem.

If Dish had properly screened applicants for Distant Network Service,  There would be no problem.

But alas, Greed won,  Till 12-1, then Greed lost and the Law won

John In Detroit said:
But alas, Greed won,  Till 12-1, then Greed lost and the Law won

Perhaps it wasn't greed but an attempt to give their customers what they wanted?

What the customer wants isn't always legal.  I know people that would like to drive 100MPH all the time, but the law says they can't.

Ned said:
What the customer wants isn't always legal.

I agree. But you can't automatically assign greed. What they should have done was work with their customers and congressmen to change the law, which really doesn't make a lot of sense.

The law was very clear about who was entitled to distant networks stations and they ignored it.  Yes, they could have worked through Congress to get it changed, but they chose not too and are paying for it now in lost revenue and lost customers.  As for us RVers, we're such a small part of the customer base that we're lucky we get network stations at all.  We weren't part of the problem, but got caught in the aftermath anyway.

Wendy It was Greed  Now, I do admit I left open who was greedy, Echostar, Dish Network, or the customers.  But it was greed no matter which side of the contract it was on.

The customer wanted something he was not entitled to.. This is greed

Dish gave it to him in exchange for 5 or 10 dollars a month... Again, Greed

And far as I'm concerned it should be legal anyway but the televisions want their captive audiences,,, Again, Greed

I personally do not feel the networks had any business suing to prevent folks from watching their programming.

But what do I know.

As far as I am concerned they broke the law and should be fined not just a token amount but a heft fine.  They are still taking what ever action they can to ske=irt around the law.  Just MHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom