Dishwasher in RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlady daddy

I notice dishwashers are available or as optional equipment on luxury and top of the line Motorhomes but not available as option for mid price point RV?s. ?They are not expensive but do require an extra space.

http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.jump/itemType.GATEWAY/itemID.25/iMainCat.25/iSubCat.25/qx/Dishwashers.htm

Dishwashers are either Portable & countertop models or 18? wide under the counter unit. Has anyone installed an 18? wide model permanently under the sink counter space by removing the kitchen drawers and some woodwork to fit this unit? I know how people feel losing drawer space on a limited area.

Oh my, this is another one of those emotional subjects where folks are either attached to their dishwasher or their drawer space. We don't have a need for a dishwasher in our coach - I'm it.

Just a personal perspective - the common dishwasher installed in RVs is the narrow version of the Fisher & Peykel dish drawer. We have two of the wide F&P dish drawers in our kitchen at home (see photo attached) and I wish I'd never set eyes on them. The two drawers can be stacked to look like a regular dishwasher or, as we did, mounted separately (in our case, either side of the sink). Reality is that the sum of the two dish drawers is less than the capacity of a regular dishwasher. Furthermore, we've had problems that result in very expensive service calls because they can't be fixed by your averge Joe Service. I used to service home appliances many moons ago and, having seen the inards of the F&P, I'd suggest you buy something else.

Attachments

• DishDrawers.jpg
    DishDrawers.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 49
They've also got a draw dishwasher? ? Takes up less space.? ?Not too sure about the extra power you need to operate, along with everything else.? Probably like the washer, you have to shut down the microwave. That's why they are in the big luxury units.

Tom said:
We don't have a need for a dishwasher in our coach - I'm it.

As is Mike. My concern with dishwashers in RVs, other than the space they take up, is how much water do they suck up? We like to boondock and I doubt we'd use a dishwasher when not hooked up to water and sewer.

Wendy,

Fisher & Peykel's claim to fame is they use a minimal amount of water.

I was thinking about using the dishwasher while in an RV Park and do laundry not necessarily at the same time. I wonder if this is just a luxury especially for full timers.

As far as needing space, I learn from this forum to dump excess luggage at Amarillo Flying J (by accident I mean).

Sounds like me dumping the Boss at the Flying J, but not because of a dishwasher, cause I'm the dishwasher unfortunitely

Vlady, maybe Bernie Dobrin will check in on this with a first hand report.  The Dobrins opted to exclude a washer-dryer for clothes in favor of a dishwasher on their Travel Supreme.  They prefer to use laundry rooms at the parks they visit and have the convenience of a dishwasher.  They have been very pleased with that decision.

On the other hand, my wife and I love the convenience of a clothes washer dryer.  For some insane reason I enjoy hand washing dishes.  Don't ask me why.  Likely some form of secret brainwashing from my Admiral (wife).  ;D

But all this is to say it is a matter of personal preference ... which is likely what is behind Tom's "Oh my" comment!

You takes yer pick and you makes yer choice!

Vlady

Our coach came with a factory installed washer/dryer. My wife couldn't see herself using the w/d with it's size and time constraints . Our deal was for the factory to replace the w/d with a dishwasher. It is a Sears (don't buy, it is a mess for Sears service) which is identical to the Whirlpool (much better and cheaper service) full height under counter model but only 18" wide, 3" less than a regular built-in. It was installed in place of the w/d where we had all hookups needed. The unit takes about 7 gallons of water per load, so we don't use it when boondocking, but if we are at a CG with hookups or have room in our tanks and will be able to dump within a day or so, we will run the d/w. We have run it at QZ the day before we dump and refill with water.

My wife loves it and wouldn't do it any differently. Different strokes.

We have a factory installed dishwasher, but have never tried it.  We decided that a big pots and pans drawer would be more useful, so it was converted. I get to wash the dishes, so the wife prefers the storage.

caltex said:
I get to wash the dishes, so the wife prefers the storage.

Robert, aren't you glad I showed you how to wash dishes years ago.

Do you think this is a feasible idea? In the laundry closet with existing plumbing, instead of a stackable washer/dryer use a combo w/d unit. Then, use the extra space above to install an 18? wide dishwasher. This way, you can keep the built-in gas oven and eliminate getting the drawer type dishwasher below the stove.

As far as time management, you just gain 5 minutes a day chatting in the RV Forum away from washing dishes and another 15 minutes walking back and forth to the laundry room. On confined areas like RV?s, if your in the dog house, that 1 ? hours of laundry time could be an advantage for a breather/timeout  and yes got to do the dishes (by hand) to be on her good side.

You gotta learn how to say "I'll wash and you wipe".

We share the cooking - I BBQ and Chris does the other type cooking.

Dishwasher? We don't need no steenkin diswasher....we've got paper plates.  ;D

vlady daddy said:
Do you think this is a feasible idea? In the laundry closet with existing plumbing, instead of a stackable washer/dryer use a combo w/d unit. Then, use the extra space above to install an 18? wide dishwasher. This way, you can keep the built-in gas oven and eliminate getting the drawer type dishwasher below the stove.

As far as time management, you just gain 5 minutes a day chatting in the RV Forum away from washing dishes and another 15 minutes walking back and forth to the laundry room. On confined areas like RV?s, if your in the dog house, that 1 ? hours of laundry time could be an advantage for a breather/timeout  and yes got to do the dishes (by hand) to be on her good side.

Vlady

As I mentioned, my wife wasn't interested under any circumstances to have a w/d. I'm not sure about the ability to hold a second unit above since they aren't designed for stacking. My wife feels she would rather go to the laundry once every week or so and do 2-4 loads at one time. She also gets tuned into the local gossip  :D

Does Mike need training Wendy? We'd be happy to show him how to wash dishes  ;D

Actually, he does wash the dishes on days when he doesn't drive a long distance. Then I figure it's my job. I just found it interesting how many of you menfolk do wash the dishes. I guess your mums trained you well.

Back
Top Bottom