Disposal of Winterizing Antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbyrnes

I apologize if this is asked/answered a thousand times already.? I did just spend about 30 minutes looking around for the answer and didn't see it anywhere.? So I'm bringing the question here:

Per winterizing instructions,? I have placed RV Antifreeze in my water tank, all drains, toilet, water lines, and grey and black water tanks.? Now it is spring time.? I know I need to flush out all this antifreeze.? How many water tank fulls do I need to run through the system to clean it out?? And more important, what do I do with all this used antifreeze?? ?Dumping out on the ground doesn't seem like the eco-friendly thing to do.? Dumping in the camping park dump site doesn't seem like it would be appreciated by those "good" bacteria in the septic tank.? Calling in a toxic waste removal company could cost more than my RV.

What do do?

Thanks,
tim

RV antifreeze is not toxic and can be safely disposed of in a septic system.? If it were toxic, you wouldn't want to put it in your fresh water system, would you?

When we summerized, we would just flush the entire system through the faucets until the water was no longer pink, then run a few more minutes.? To rinse the tank, I would fill the tank, drain, fill again and run the faucets to see if the water is clear.? If not, drain, fill and repeat.? We didn't put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank, just made sure it was well drained.  We only pumped the antifreeze through the lines and put some in the drain traps.

I'm sure some of the folks here that do this more frequently will have some other suggestions.

IowaSurveyor said:
antifreeze is toxic.. If you drink enough it will shut down your kidneys.

Car antifreeze is toxic - RV antifreeze isn't.  Ours gets drained into our house's sewer cleanout.  From there it goes to our municipal water treatment plant.

The RV antifreeze in the water lines leaves a coating - the usual sanitizing solution of bleach and water takes care of it eventually, but it takes a while.

That's why i don't use it i have found that air will not freeze at any realistic temp. Just blow the lines dry and empty the tanks.

When I was still into boating I used the cheapest Vodka I could buy instead of RV Antifreeze to pump into the lines.  Leaves no aftertaste or smell when you summerize.  Vodka is not 'toxic' and injurious only if ingested in quantity.

Now that I am into Motorhoming I go to I-95 and turn south to the Keys.

Ned said:
RV antifreeze is not toxic and can be safely disposed of in a septic system.  If it were toxic, you wouldn't want to put it in your fresh water system, would you?

When we summerized, we would just flush the entire system through the faucets until the water was no longer pink, then run a few more minutes.  To rinse the tank, I would fill the tank, drain, fill again and run the faucets to see if the water is clear.  If not, drain, fill and repeat.  We didn't put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank, just made sure it was well drained.  We only pumped the antifreeze through the lines and put some in the drain traps.

I'm sure some of the folks here that do this more frequently will have some other suggestions.

NED has it down to the "T". DRAIN the ho****er, grey and fresh water tanks. Put NOTHING in them. RV antifreeze in all other lines and a cup or two down the drains. DONE. Rinse in spring as Ned indicated. On my 7th year now with this same method.

FWIW, RV antifreeze tastes like maple syrup.  ;D

How do I know?

Last fall I made the unfortunate mistake of depressing the water supply back pressure valve on my water inlet (where you hook up for city water) while I was winterizing.  I pressed the valve in order to allow some antifreeze to flow back into that tube and to make sure there was no residual water in there that could freeze.  I immediately got a blast of pink stuff right in my face (and all over a nice off-white sweater).

You guessed it...I accidentally left the pump on from when I was siphoning antifreeze into the lines.  ::) Won't do that again!

In simple terms..don't ever use the green automotive stuff (Ethylene/Propylene Glycol)..it's a killer.
Only use the RV (non-automotive) "pink stuff" for potable water lines.

carson

Mc2guy said:
FWIW, RV antifreeze tastes like maple syrup.   ;D

How do I know?

Last fall I made the unfortunate mistake of depressing the water supply back pressure valve on my water inlet (where you hook up for city water) while I was winterizing.  I pressed the valve in order to allow some antifreeze to flow back into that tube and to make sure there was no residual water in there that could freeze.  I immediately got a blast of pink stuff right in my face (and all over a nice off-white sweater).

You guessed it...I accidentally left the pump on from when I was siphoning antifreeze into the lines.  ::) Won't do that again!

I had our pump off when I did that.  Didn't matter - there was still some pressure in there.  Same result.  I should have learned from previous times - but no......

I want to continue doing that procedure - just having my face off to the side.  Think I'll remember?  Naaaahhhhh.......

I drain mine directly in the driveway, it then seeps into the ground, just the same as if I dumped it in my septic tank, back into the ground. 

I have not tasted it, but it does smell like a fruity alcoholic drink.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom