Dissatisfied with RV cover....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punkinthepit

I know I'm new to the site so please don't think I'm trying to boycott this company but rather I need to vent and also would like some advice.

I recently purchased an RV cover from safeguardcovers.com and literally in less than 1 month the thing ripped to shreds!!!  It was such POOR quality that I couldn't believe it!!!  Thank goodness I'm getting the cover refunded but now I'm out over $73 to return the cheap cover.  I'm outraged by their lack of concern for a dissatisfied customer and I'm even more outraged that I'm out $73 to be inconvienced!!!!  :mad:

Can anyone advise a place to buy a good quality cover without spending an absolute fortune?  One with a good customer service, preferably since I'm still fuming from what I just experienced!!! :-[

Sorry for your bad experience.  It's frustrating to spend money and not get anything out of it. 

Regarding a better brand to purchase, many of us on here do not use covers for several reasons; and one of them is that the covers usually don't hold up.  They break, shred and can also cause "rubbing" on your motor home.  They blow off and end up in the neighbors yard, or hook onto something and rip.

We recently sold our house in San Diego where we stored our coach on our property and we went back and forth about getting a cover for it.  In the end we decided not to because of other owners bad experiences with them.  Now we have the coach stored in a storage lot under cover which actually works out very well.

Marsha~ 

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your RV Cover.  However, it may have been a good thing the cover tore up in such a short time.  If it had taken longer you may have experienced chaffing damage to the finish of your RV which is not all that uncommon occurrence when using these covers.  Personally I think one is better off NOT to use a fabric type cover because of the likelyhood of chaffing the finish on the RV.

Wow!  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best protect my RV then?  The windows don't have a great seal (they are sliders) and on really big rain storms, water can get in and I'm concerned about mold issues over time.

If I had any windows that I was concerned about leaking while in storage I believe I would use duct tape over the areas I thought would leak.

But be prepared for a cleanup job of the duct/duck tape adhesive. It makes a real mess!

As has been said, RV covers are a greater nusissance than a benefit because of the chafing on the finish of the RV caused by the wind.

I have used a cover sold at Camping World, made of Tyvek for the roof and polyester for the sides.  Sometimes a cover can be made snug by using bungie cords, plastic clamps and even duct tape to hold it in place.  I would reinforce the entire cover by wrapping some rope around the entire RV to prevent the cover from blowing off.

Are the leaky windows from water coming through the sliding window panes or from defective caulking seals around the frames of the windows?

If from caulking, then use an RV caulk to repair the openings.  If from the windows, try getting some of the seals and swipe mouldings from the window manufacturer.

A last resort could be to use plastic sheeting along with duct tape as Ron suggests to cover the windows.  Apply the duct tape to the windows which might be easier to remove the adhesive than from the body of the RV.  Toluene based solvent may remove the adhesive.

Another option may be to apply a tarp or several tarps over the roof of the RV, with ropes tied to stakes extending over the sides of the RV.  This may provide a some of rain protection you need.

Why don't you attach a picture of your RV to a reply in this discussion (using the Additional Options feature to the left of the message composition window).  This may help us to come up with additional ideas.

Why don't you attach a picture of your RV to a reply in this discussion

You are right Steve. What are we discussing? The 2 letters "RV" could mean anything from a pop-up trailer to 45' monster A unit.

carson FL

Tom said:
But be prepared for a cleanup job of the duct/duck tape adhesive. It makes a real mess!

A little WD-40 on a rag and a little elbow grease will take off the tape residue/adhesive.

Howard

If you feel you need a cover, Adco is the #1 manufacturer and their covers are widely available. They have a couple grades, depending on climate.  As for covers in general, some people love 'em and others hate 'em. They are a pain to cover and uncover, but maybe tolerable if you only do it twice a year. Others have outlined the potential problems, so I won't elaborate.

http://www.adcoprod.com/

We've had several different RVs and been in all kinds of weather, including torrential rains and high winds and window leakage has not been a problem. We live in Florida, and trust me, it rains hard here!  Have yours actually leaked or is this a future "worry" on your part?  If they have leaked, something is wrong and needs repair. Possible worn or damaged seals on the edge of the sliders.

Back
Top Bottom