Ditching my RVs Electric steps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kismoore

I?ve lived in 2 rigs both with Electric step issues. This one is currently in need of a new linkage part that means a new motor replacement. Not expensive but annoying. I?ve done this before only to hardly use the steps mostly due to battery drain. We are a family of 5 including a toddler so we are in and out A LOT! Our stairs are put through some heavy use, heavy tools in and out, toddler car seat, stroller, dogs in and out... I want to ditch the steps OR replace them with a super strong Electric that won?t break the bank. Replacement would make room for a storage box with a built in step maybe or no storage box and just a built in that I don?t have to pull in and out ever.
An alternative step that comes out when you open the door maybe? I don?t know.
I?m asking the forum for ideas and pics of their own alternative designs. Thank you all!

I've never had electric steps but it sounds to me like every time you open the door, the steps go out and when you close the door, the steps retract. Is that what's happening with yours?
I believe there a switch you can throw once the steps are out and the steps will stay out as long as you leave the switch in that position. Maybe I read your post wrong.

As Rene T mentioned there is a switch that allows the steps to stay extended thus eliminating any battery drain.

Do yours open and close every time you open or close your door?

my old coach's steps stay out till I turn the ignition switch to the on position. There is a rocker switch right inside the door for the steps also

YES all.. I have the on off toggle switch BUT we have 5 people, some kids..making sure everyone handles the switch according to perfect plan and battery life is no small request. Inevitably, someone will forget something battery related at some point. The steps are breaking over and over. Our first rig, we repaired the step 6 months after we moved in. This rig, we repaired the broken linkage and completely rebuilt the inside steps 3 months into the rig. A few months later, another part broke attached to the motor. Now the entire motor needs replacement. I currently climb in and out of my rig as if Im climbing up and down off of a boat.
Thinking of removing the traditional step that attaches to the underbelly of the inside bottom step and getting something welded onto the frame. Something more permanently fixed into an open step position.
Anyone who has made changes, I would love to see some pics or some links to get some ideas. Thanks

put  a piece of tape over the switch- in the default out position. don't understand why everyone is messing with that switch in the first place
don't see what rv you have

Agree with the others - there should be no need to be fiddling with the switch, nor should the steps be opening/closing all the time.  Battery drain should be minimal when used that way.  Please tell us more about what RV (and step brand) you have and why you are using the switch so much.

Our 3yr. old grandson, delights in toggling every switch he can reach, including the one to kill the step power.  I just pull that fuse when we park, put it back in before leaving. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom