DIY Rod Holder Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ButchW

Last year I bought a 1986 Suzuki Samurai as a toad for my motor home, and to run to the beach for surf fishing... The Samurai is pretty short , but I wanted to carry my 2pc rods inside... I had about 5-1/2' of roof line to mount them in... 1st of all, there were only 3 overhead grab handles for the passengers, to mount to.. So I installed one more over the drivers side door, using jack nuts... It looks factory and is very sturdy... It worked out well... Then I bought a rack system off of Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/LITTLEMOLE-F...cphy=9031059&hvtargid=pla-1454310648947&psc=1 ...It is well made, and easily sturdy enough for my light weight 9-1/2' & 10', 2 pc rods... I pretty sure I could fit a 11', 2pc rod if I wanted ... I decided on a solid mount, as apposed to a web type, because there isn't a lot of room for movement in the tiny Samurai... Here is the final result...
ryQZp3m.jpg

horgeq9.jpg

9X3DNTf.jpg

3fkExJS.jpg

Butch

... I decided on a solid mount, as apposed to a web type, because there isn't a lot of room for movement in the tiny Samurai... Here is the final result...
Butch
Nice solution. Similar to my crude version in our Suburban:

On one of my visits to the homeland (2010), I had to improvise on the rental car. Not very hi tech, but worked for the duration of my visit and fishing the river I first fished over 60 years ago (and have a lifetime permit to fish). Nowadays, I might have taken my web straps in a suitcase, but your example illustrates how they wouldn't work on a rental car with only 3 grab handles.

Attachments

• rod-carrier.JPG
    rod-carrier.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
  • rod-carrier2.jpg
    rod-carrier2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4
Nice DIY setup Tom.... That would work for me as well... With a rental, you work with what you got..
Butch

Sleep over section of my RV never has less than 4-6 rods. Of course there that's when my gal is not on the road with me. I never know exactly what kind of fishing I'll be going or where i might be fishing. Here in the NW it may be Salmon, Steelhead, Kokanee, Surf Perch or Trout and that could change daily. Included in that cluster of rods is also bags and hard boxes of gear. Plugs, spinners, jigs, bobbers, chopped bobbers, soft beads, hard beads, soft worms in so many color options its overwhelming, spoons, bait, okie drifters, divers, pliers, scissors, line, rod holders, plunking chair, rain jacket, waders, wading boots, clam gun, clam shovel, clam bag, fish bag and really the list is much much longer. Could I reduce the pile....nope not a chance. I need it all with me. Oh..don't for get the boat, motor, oars, net, towels, life jackets, ropes, anchors, coolers, lunch and beer.

cully , you're more hardcore than me..
Most of my fishing is lightline surf fishing in So. Cal....
Butch

Butch,

It's kinda outta desperation. Here the rule regulations change so frequently that we have to be ready to role with it. One day bait my be legal and the next day not. Seriously goofed up. One of my favorite Rivers/Siletz ( The River Why- David James Duncan) has a regulation rule that the fishing for steelhead deadline is 200 feet below the painted rock! I fished that river for 10 years before I ever found the painted rock. It actually exists. This winter the WHOLE state of Washington closed ALL steelhead rivers on the coast. So....back to my old home state of Oregon to cure my steelhead fix. ALL OPEN. Go figure. So along the way I hit the coast in Washington to razor clam clam clam. Got limits of 20 everyday. Once the daily limit was in the bag it was walk it back to the cooler and grab the surf perch gear. Then off to Oregon. Is this a brag post? NO. I'll also bring enough reports of NO fish caught. As it was in Oregon on that trip last week. A BIG FAT NADA.

Fish on Butch,

cully

Butch,

It's kinda outta desperation. Here the rule regulations change so frequently that we have to be ready to role with it. One day bait my be legal and the next day not. Seriously goofed up. One of my favorite Rivers/Siletz ( The River Why- David James Duncan) has a regulation rule that the fishing for steelhead deadline is 200 feet below the painted rock! I fished that river for 10 years before I ever found the painted rock. It actually exists. This winter the WHOLE state of Washington closed ALL steelhead rivers on the coast. So....back to my old home state of Oregon to cure my steelhead fix. ALL OPEN. Go figure. So along the way I hit the coast in Washington to razor clam clam clam. Got limits of 20 everyday. Once the daily limit was in the bag it was walk it back to the cooler and grab the surf perch gear. Then off to Oregon. Is this a brag post? NO. I'll also bring enough reports of NO fish caught. As it was in Oregon on that trip last week. A BIG FAT NADA.

Fish on Butch,

cully
I've done that tango with the skunk more times than I care to admit... You atleast, have a big diversity to pick from in the fishing world, up there... Good luck and tight lines..
Butch

Back
Top Bottom