DIY Truck Rod Holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ButchW

I have two rods I want to carry inside my truck's cab... Before I just laid one rod across my folded up rear bench seat of my extended cab 2008 GMC Sierra... That has worked fine for as long as I only carried only 1 rod, but recently I bought another heavier rod... One rod is a two piece 9-1/2", and the other is a two piece 10' ... Both will barely fit cross ways in my cab... So this is what I did..

1st I bought a Attwood Vertical Mount Rod Holder... It is a well made product of heavy rubber that wont scratch the rods.. It could have a little more spacing between the rods, because with reels attached, you can't get more than 2-3 rods on it... But for my purpose, it was fine... I then bought a piece of Kadex (You gun guys use this for pistol holsters) from McMaster-Carr to mount it to... I cut it to size and bent to shape, before mounting the holder to it (It is easy to work with)... I then used a quick connect strap I re-purposed from an old suitcase clothing tie-down... I hooked one end of the straps to the child seat tie-down loops behind the truck seat headrest... Once disconnected from the rod holder, these could be flipped out of the way...
yjzB8PZ.jpg

s8jzd0X.jpg

eHJGncq.jpg

5rQh6z8.jpg

v02ANCl.jpg

I hope this will be of some use to one of you fishermen/women-RVers..
Butch

Put the rods in with reels on both sides instead of the same side and you might fit a couple more there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Put the rods in with reels on both sides instead of the same side and you might fit a couple more there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Mark. That is what I do on some other racks in my garage. But in my truck I’ll never carry more than 2. And I only have to open one door to remove them.
Butch

Thanks Butch. Is Kadex the same as Kydex I see on amazon?
Tom..This is what I used.. Not the name brand Kadex, but I think the same thing.
Butch

Reactions: Tom
I didn’t mention it to hold a gun just your rods
Oh, no I didn’t think of that. But the cab narrows the higher you go, and may not be wide enough at that point. Also with my factory tinted windows, down low, they are pretty much invisible.
Butch

Back
Top Bottom