Do I have to? Newmar question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

We have a Newmar Canyon Star 3710.

It comes with a bar that locks the  slide out in place when in use.  Having twice (once me, once my wife) now 'forgotten" to check before trying to close the slide out,  I am wondering what harm might come from not using the locking bar?  (one instance took a service call to readjust the slide... not fun when you thought you were ready to get underway..)

I am assuming that since it locks the slide out in place when in use it must serve some purpose, but what am I giving up when I don't lock the slide out in place?

We have added a sign near the controls to remind us of the need to check this,  but thought I'd ask anyway.

I did the same thing once right after I bought the coach. Fortunately I caught it very quickly. No damage.
The Newmar dealer PDI dude told me most people don't bother locking the slides. My thought was I paid for them, I'm going to use em!
After that episode I don't use them anymore.
Others have told me they don't either.

Interesting.  This is the first I have heard of locking the slideout in the out or extended position.  I have heard and seen devices which lock the slideout in the travel position so it doesn't creep out during travel. 

What is the reason, or why is there a need to lock the slideout in the extended position? 

It seems I totally misread the OPs post. Mine can be locked while tucked away for travel.
I do not have the ability to lock them while extended. Why would you?
Thanks for clarifying that Al.

I cannot imagine why a lock would be needed in the deployed position, but RV manufacturers don't spend a dime without a reason (but not necessarily a technical reason).  Maybe a child or somebody's furry child pushed the slide-in button at an inopportune moment? 

What brand of slide mechanism does Newmar use?  Do other manufacturers with the same slide also provide this lock-out?
Has Newmar Customer Support been asked about this?

I will look at it again when we get the MH out for a trip next week, but I am sure that the mechanism locks into place when then slide is in use.

I wil look to see if there is any way to use it to lock the slide in place when its in. 

Alpena Jeff said:
Hey Jim.
Do you recall if your lock bar looks like this?
That one only works when slide is in for travel. No way to access with slide deployed

The one in the photo looks to be automatic, when the slide comes in.  That's also different than the mechanism that Newmar now uses, but the new one also locks the slide "in" rather than "out".  There have been some other Newmar locks as well, both manual and automatic.

What year Canyon Star are we talking about?  You mentioned you "forgot" before bringing the slide in. What do you have to do on yours to "unlock"?

Back
Top Bottom