Do the smaller pull behind campers have electric brakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you find one without brakes...I would look into the cost of adding them.

Gizmo100 said:
If you find one without brakes...I would look into the cost of adding them.

Agree 100%, wouldn't pull even a small trailer without them. Granted, if one was pulling a very small single axle with a 3/4-1 ton pickup perhaps it would be OK, but a small trailer almost always means a small tow vehicle, and in that case you'll want trailer brakes.

State laws require brakes on trailers weighing 2000-3000 lbs or more (varies by state). You aren't likely to find a 16-17 footer under that GVWR weight, so yes an RV trailer in that size range will have brakes. Either electric or surge, but most all will be electric. A pop-up that size might sneak by under the brake requirement, but even that is doubtful.

From the Calif DMV site: "In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more."

Most states require brakes at 1500 pounds. A few have the limit at 3000. Make sure you plan on the cost of adding a brake controller to your tow vehicle.

According to  http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm    two states - Wisconsin and South Dakota require brakes on ALL trailers.  New York requires brakes in trailers over 1,000 lbs.  Three backwards states, including my domicile, do not require brakes.  Massachusetts requires brakes on trailers over 10,000 lbs and Alaska over 5,000 lbs.  All others are somewhere in between.

The laws of physics state it is ALWAYS a good plan to have trailer brakes!  The laws of physics trumps all state and federal laws!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom