Do Trains figure in your interests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ian said:
and isn't that all we really expect from our hobbies.
If, a big if but, if you did take up working on trains, what line / style / era do you think you might model?

Right now all I have is diesel. Steam would be nice. I've often thought about doing a narrow gauge line with Climaxes.

Jim Dick said:
I've often thought about doing a narrow gauge line with Climaxes.
Yes please, that would be an awesome choice. I'm not into shunting around with big freights, been there, done that, no thrill left for me there. A mountain grade narrow gauge steaming line, I just don't think it gets much better than that.

http://www.modelrailroader.com/Util...idOLG={0506B493-78B8-11D5-9190-000629551DBC}1
"This Hillcrest Lumber's Climax geared locomotive No. 9 is a little bigger than a dime" "Phil Magnall scratchbuilt this locomotive (the motor, gears, and wheels are the only ready-made parts)" from this site
This track "is built on a 26" by 80" interior hollow-core door" so might even fit in one of your bays?
I signed up to their Forum and found one guy that has a nice layout but built his homes, trees, logging camps etc while out and about in his motorhome. On his page look for the kits sitting on the white sheet. I think he has a great name for his railroad, "The Sublime to Redikulus" ;)
And if you want to indulge in a nice Climax check out this shot...but it is a BIG pic (1200x900) so I would not reccommend downloading this on a slow connect ;)

It is a HO Climax but yeh, excellent. Be really nice to see that climbing slowly on a steep grade in narrow gauge. I think that pic could make a nice background for my desktop. Time for a change.

Now, let me guess, have your train building dreams been sharpened by this recent discourse?

Rich is currently an engineer for Union Pacific Railroad.  He laughed when I read aloud some of the conversations going on in this forum.  He says he will have to sign on later (currently in the middle of a computer game) and fill you in on current operations of the trains.  I still miss the caboose--just doesn't look right without it!  Kay 

Ian said:
It is a HO Climax but yeh, excellent. Be really nice to see that climbing slowly on a steep grade in narrow gauge. I think that pic could make a nice background for my desktop. Time for a change.

Now, let me guess, have your train building dreams been sharpened by this recent discourse?

Of course it has! :)

Hi Kay,

Please have him sign on. Nothing like hearing it from the current authority!

I agree, the crummy was a very important part of a train consist. I hate seeing that "end of train" marker on today's lines.

Jim Dick said:
Of course it has! :)
Well same here. All that I can do though is take that pic of the Climax and set it to my Desktop wallpaper so it is now 1024x768 and looking great up there. Now as soon as I sign in I get an excuse to go <sigh> ;)

Ian,

I can't do much more either. Maybe someday when we stop traveling so much. :) In the meantime I really enjoy watching the trains, especially out west. My favorite place to park in Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR. We were about 100' from the mainline and had trains coming through alll day and night.

Maybe someday when we stop traveling so much.
Wish I had an excuse like that but that dream seems a long way off at the moment. Of course if you want to give me the 6 lucky numbers for Saturday night perhaps you might help me change that state ROFLMAO!!!
We were about 100' from the mainline and had trains coming through all day and night.
We live around that distance from the Adelaide-Perth-Sydney mainline. We just have to look over the neighbours yard to see the Ghan and the Indian Pacific rolling by, we also see the 2km container freights trundling past. Though if truth were told we feel them more than see them <sigh>
Will PM the Google Maps link if you were interested in seeing where we live.

Ian said:
Wish I had an excuse like that but that dream seems a long way off at the moment. Of course if you want to give me the 6 lucky numbers for Saturday night perhaps you might help me change that state ROFLMAO!!!We live around that distance from the Adelaide-Perth-Sydney mainline. We just have to look over the neighbours yard to see the Ghan and the Indian Pacific rolling by, we also see the 2km container freights trundling past. Though if truth were told we feel them more than see them <sigh>
Will PM the Google Maps link if you were interested in seeing where we live.

Hi Ian,

I'm still hoping to win our Lotto so I can do anything I want. ;D ;D ;D Sounds like you live in a neat place. So much romance on the old rail lines. Freights are getting kind of boring here as most are container cars. Still it's nice to see them go by.

Would love to see where you live.

Well yes they do, since I have been working for the railroad for 28 years. I started out as a brakeman for the Southern Pacific then I became an engineer in 1980 and now work for Union Pacific. To answer some of the comments I have read, their are 2 people on the freight trains (Main Line) an engineer and conductor. And sometimes I will have a fireman. Fireman are in a training progam that lasts about 8 months to become an engineer. On Yard/Local Switchers their are 3 on the crew an engineer/conductor/brakeman.

I have been lucky for the pass 28 years because I still like my job and never get tired of waving at the kids and people along the side of the tracks. To be honest with you it is this a kick in the ass to drive tains.

Rich

Rich,

Well, you've probably waved at me if you were anywhere I happened to be. Really enjoy the Steins, NM ghost town. Lots of trains going by. All the Engineers wave.

A lot of engineers live, or used to live, in Wildwood, FL. Each had their own whistle code and the families knew who was coming through town by the way the blew the whistle. I think it might still go on today.

Hi, Guys!

Two cents to add:

1. I'm moving my home office to make room for the next member of my "crew." (Due May 22.)? My sister, knowing my interest in trains, suggested a shelf layout around the new office.? Bingo!? So I have a planned loop around the office on a shelf made up of a 6" width of MDF with a piece of crown moulding on the front.? Unfortunately this layout will be about 7 feet up!? :D? It'll be really tough when my sons want to have a look.

2. We took son #1 to Disneyland a few weeks ago.? Had to ride the train first thing.? We saw a couple go up and take a seat on a small bench on the front of the tender, right behind the engineer & fireman.? At the end of the day, we decided on one more ride and the wife suggested I ask about riding on the tender.? We checked with the conductor and, sure enough, we got to squeeze on.? Best day at Disneyland ever!? The engineer & fireman were great.? I talked to them for the whole loop around Disneyland.? Got to learn a bit about steam engines and the fireman's role.? Asked about their length of service with the D.R.R. assuming years & years of service were required to assume their positions.? NOPE!? The fireman had 4 years with Disney while the engineer only had one!?

I may have to cosider a career change!? ;)

Pat Huber
Protect All

wls said:
My wife and I rode the Polar Express last fall.
Bernie, you don't know just how jealous I got when I saw those photos. Even if I don't get my RV I would still love to take ride on trains like that.

Any chance of being emailed the full-sized pictures? Would love to put them up on my desktop as wallpaper.

Patrickh60 said:
Hi, Guys!

Two cents to add:

1. I'm moving my home office to make room for the next member of my "crew." (Due May 22.)  My sister, knowing my interest in trains, suggested a shelf layout around the new office.  Bingo!  So I have a planned loop around the office on a shelf made up of a 6" width of MDF with a piece of crown moulding on the front.  Unfortunately this layout will be about 7 feet up!  :D  It'll be really tough when my sons want to have a look.

2. We took son #1 to Disneyland a few weeks ago.  Had to ride the train first thing.  We saw a couple go up and take a seat on a small bench on the front of the tender, right behind the engineer & fireman.  At the end of the day, we decided on one more ride and the wife suggested I ask about riding on the tender.  We checked with the conductor and, sure enough, we got to squeeze on.  Best day at Disneyland ever!  The engineer & fireman were great.  I talked to them for the whole loop around Disneyland.  Got to learn a bit about steam engines and the fireman's role.  Asked about their length of service with the D.R.R. assuming years & years of service were required to assume their positions.  NOPE!  The fireman had 4 years with Disney while the engineer only had one! 

I may have to cosider a career change!  ;)

Pat Huber
Protect All

Pat,

I'm with you! If you need a fireman, let me know!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom