Do we all agree with this definition of boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chem gear on the flightline in SoCal in August is no picnic either.
2004, San Diego, MOPP gear training...not me, a couple guys in my unit.

Attachments

• IMGP0619.JPG
    IMGP0619.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 6
  • IMGP0614.JPG
    IMGP0614.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
I posted earlier, but haven't kept up on this thread until now. I did not read all the posts. But for what it's worth, if not having a stick and brick piece of property to go to is the qualification for full timing, then I will never be a "full timer" as we have property and access to property which we will never separate from.

However, we might not be "full timers" by this definition, but we do use our camper "full time". Meaning we use it 24x7x365. At the house or on the road. We use it "full time."

I posted earlier, but haven't kept up on this thread until now. I did not read all the posts. But for what it's worth, if not having a stick and brick piece of property to go to is the qualification for full timing, then I will never be a "full timer" as we have property and access to property which we will never separate from.

However, we might not be "full timers" by this definition, but we do use our camper "full time". Meaning we use it 24x7x365. At the house or on the road. We use it "full time."
We're in the same situation as you. We own a lakeside cottage in upstate NY with a full hookup RV site next door that we use when we stay there. With a brief exception for my COVID quarantine, and the 6 days my wife was hospitalized in Florida, we've both lived in our motorhome 24/7/365 since 2010. We're at the cottage site right now and will be staying for another couple of weeks during my stroke recovery. Living in the motorhome has been a great help with that since everything is close at hand and relatively easy for me to reach, mostly without assistance.

If someone else thinks we're not fulltimers because we own some real estate, that's on them. We know what our lifestyle is in our minds.

Dictionaries are a pet peeve for me the way they blow in the trend wind, changing definitions at whim while "schools of learning" put out their annual lists of words that are no longer acceptable or cool.
They don't even understand that a dictionary is for words, not phrases. As has already been pointed out, words often have multiple meanings. Put a couple words together into a phrase and the number of possible definitions goes up exponentially.
This is all telling people what to think rather than encouraging them to think for themselves.
Language is (and should be) like art, in a free society, in the creativity of the composer and interpretation of the beholder.
Actually, a dictionary was always intended to record word usage, rather than to define, of govern it.
Just sayin'

I actually never gave it a thought, I just figured everyone defined the term "full-timing" as living in your RV 24/7/365. You might own a S&B house, and although you might rent it out you don't live in it, you live in your RV.

We're in the same situation as you. We own a lakeside cottage in upstate NY with a full hookup RV site next door that we use when we stay there. With a brief exception for my COVID quarantine, and the 6 days my wife was hospitalized in Florida, we've both lived in our motorhome 24/7/365 since 2010. We're at the cottage site right now and will be staying for another couple of weeks during my stroke recovery. Living in the motorhome has been a great help with that since everything is close at hand and relatively easy for me to reach, mostly without assistance.

If someone else thinks we're not fulltimers because we own some real estate, that's on them. We know what our lifestyle is in our minds.
If you own a lakeside cottage, why would you stay in your RV when you're there and not in the cottage itself? Seems kind of a waste of money not to utilize the actual house.

Other than the fact that there are 91 posts before this one, I'd say who really cares. I don't and the only time it might be important is when I'm camping with someone else. And then it's merely a brief discussion of how we're going to camp.

If you own a lakeside cottage, why would you stay in your RV when you're there and not in the cottage itself? Seems kind of a waste of money not to utilize the actual house.
The reason is pretty simple. When we hang up the keys, the cottage will be our home, but in the meantime our daughters and granddaughter use the cottage quite often when they want to swim, kayak, or just have a change of pace for awhile. Right now our granddaughter, her husband, and our great granddaughter are staying here for a couple of weeks. Plus, we really like our motorhome life and will really miss it when we have to give it up. And since we're normally only here for a couple of weeks at a time, it wouldn't make sense to be lugging stuff back and forth all the time.

2004, San Diego, MOPP gear training...not me, a couple guys in my unit.
The best way I figured the Soviets could have defeated us in Europe during the cold war would have been to threaten an NBC attack. You can't or don't want to do much of anything with that stuff on. We'd have to put on rain gear plus wear the gas mask all day sometimes. And of couse everyone carried as least one Atropine injector.

Hey, we call our electoral hookups "shorepower", and some RV's have "docking lights". How nautical do want us to get... :)
I was never in the Navy, nor have I ever owned a boat, but I still use the terms head, salon, stateroom, and galley when refering to portions of my RV. My dad was a 23 year retired Navy Commander, so that might have influenced me when I was young.

Ya but it's a dry heat. at least on the outside of the chem gear.
I was in a Cal National Guard unit at March AFB in Riverside. Every summer we spent our 2 weeks practicing for deployment. So, there we are running around the flightline in MOPP gear in 100-degree weather, practicing to be deployed to Korea.
When they actually went to Korea (I wasn't chosen for that) they issued everybody those parkas with the fur lining on the hoods and the big artic mittens.

Back
Top Bottom