Do Y'all wax your rigs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

Just bought a brand new TT with aluminum siding.
All the other RV's in the past I've tried to put a good coat of wax on them every once in a while,preferably once a year, but sometimes don't stick to that. Usually use a good automitive paste wax.
Is that still the best way to care for the long term care of the exterior of the trailer?
I understand that inspecting and caring for the roof is a whole different story, and those questions will come in a few months.

We always applied an automotive-type cleaner & wax every year and our 2004 still looked like new a dozen years later. The "wax" products are continually improved (or at least hyped "new"), but the basics haven't chnaged. Keep it clean and the surface protected and it will remain good looking for many a year.

Ours is a 2008 and I pay a detailer every year to come to our site and wax the beast. I tried doing myself "once" and realized I am not an expert in that field.

Sorry to drift the thread but I want to see the lift that will put a Goldwing on the back of a travel trailer.

Sorry to drift the thread but I want to see the lift that will put a Goldwing on the back of a travel trailer.
The lift puts the motorcycle in the bed of a pickup, not the back of a trailer.

I paid my kid to wax my 25 year old ride after I bought it. It improved a little and got some deep grunge out and probably some oxidation but Marvin is past "looking great" and I shoot for not stained.

I've been using Turtle Wax ICE for several years but it's hard to find now. I use it on all our cars too.

A rig properly washed and waxed goes farther on a gallon of fuel. My Motor home. bobtail (no towed) hit 11mpg after a wax job normally about 8. Now I suspect I may have had a bit of tail wind on that 11 but.... Still (it hit 13.8 once but that was more than a bit of tail wind (like 100MPH per the news the next AM)

I wash twice a year with Blue Coral wash and wax but mix the concentrate way stronger. Our RV is 24 years old and I have owned it for 7 years always sitting in full sun. The gelcoat is still shiny. I use it on all my cars too. We bought my wife's 2001 Chevy brand new which has never had any other kind of wax, also sitting in full sun for 20 years, and it is still shiny. The secret is to use it before the paint becomes old and dull. Shown below reflecting my white 78 Firebird.
Car side.JPG

I have been using Aero Cosmetics since new. It is a waterless cleaner but I generally wet wash before. Couple of times I have washed the bottom third then applied. Little on the spendy side but a little goes a long ways. I use about 5 oz or so per job on my 35' motor home. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to do.

Reactions: SMR
IMO the best and most impactful thing you can do is keep your RV protected from the elements with shelter - a barn, garage, etc that will provide protection from the sun and precipitation.

Wax is good, but doesn't last too long when the RV is left out in the elements. It can help keep the paint clean and fend off mildew.

Wow, looks great! I bought mine in 1987 for $900 with 69k miles on it. Now it has 178k miles w/o needing any drivetrain or suspension work except for shocks. I'm currently putting patch panels on the lower rear which is the only place it has rusted.

haha - I bought mine in 1990 for $400. It wasn't running due to a spun main bearing but it did have a mint interior and a factory 4 spd so I had to have it. was daily driver for a few years after I put a '76 400 in it and then took it out of service for about 10 years as my resto project. Its been on the road (about 900 - 1000 miles per year) since 2002.

Back
Top Bottom