Do you send Postcards??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Remember postcards? They have pretty pictures of the site you're visiting on one side and on the reverse white space where you can write a paragraph or two describing your current adventure along with address information with details of who you would like to receive your card.

Way up in the top/right there's a small square where you can purchase a little sticker, apply that then go off to find a blue metal box of some kind marked "USPS". Just drop it in there and behold-- someone will pick it up, take it to a central processing area where others will read the address info (and sometimes what you wrote) and pass it on to other, on to trucks, planes, etc. until eventually after a few days yet another person will physically bring the card with that picture and your written words RIGHT TO YOUR HOUSE!

I'm serious-- not making this stuff up!! Just Google if if you don't believe me.

I send QSL cards (Confirmation cards) they are post card size.. Mine have a photo of my Rig set up on site on the front and on the back is information regarding when and how we talked.

On very rare occasions I will also send the more traditional post card.

In the Florida Keys and probably south Florida too you can send a coconut.
Address it and the postal clerk will tell you how much it costs. There are a few post offices that even sell them.

Send one to your grandchildren, and they will get a kick out of it

Jack L

My wife is the postcard queen.  Today was a light day, she only sent 6 cards.  She buys 2 sheets of 20 forever postcard stamps each trip.  So maybe 40 cards during a 3 month trip. 

SeilerBird said:
I used to make my own postcards. Use my printer to print a 4" x 6" photo, throw on a stamp and viola! My very own personal postcards.

Maria tried using postcard paper but didn't like the results.  Maybe our printer wasn't up to snuff.  What was your secret Tom?

When our parents were alive I wrote postcards to them from all over the world.  When our mothers died we both found boxes of all those postcards they kept.  For us it was a walk down memory lane, especially because we went to so many neat places and I wrote as much as I could squeeze into that tiny space.  And, yes, we still have them all.

Today I tend to send cards.  The father of one of our old friends used to call me "the card lady."  He couldn't remember my name but he enjoyed getting birthday cards.

ArdraF

Yes, we use to send post cards on trips, parents did as well.  Today, the USPS is a Dinasour.  I still send Christmas Cards, but I find it a very special holiday.  We send pictures we see in front of us on our phones, OR click a button called Facetime or Skype, and viola, seconds and we are LIVE video, sharing the moment instantly with anyone. 

We sent our kids and grandkids postcards postmarked from the "Smallest post office in the US" in Ochopee, FL. The oddest spot we've sent postcards from was the Hell, MI post office where they singe the edges of the cards with a lighter on request.

We send post cards to the grandkids on an irregular schedule. They like getting mail, and they love pictures of cool things especially animals.

We send picture postcards from the places we visit to our grandsons.  They have a bulletin board with a US map on it, and put a pin in it at the places we sent a card from.  They also pin the postcards around the perimeter of the map.  They get a little flavor of our travels that way, and learn a little bit of geography.

My kids and I are each collecting a post card and a map from each state. I buy 3 for me, one to keep, one to send to Mark, and the third we send from all of us to one person on a rotating list of friends and family.

We still find postcards to be useful, e.g. to send greetings to an ad-hoc group like a club or our friendly neighborhood pub. They get posted on a bulletin board or passed around by hand. An easy way to communicate with a disparate group that doesn't share a Facebook page or do mutual email/texting.  We send only a few each year, though.

When I was in school (back before pocket calculators!) my dad had a stack of yellow postcards with a chessboard on them. Using rubber stamps with red and black ink to show a move, he would play Chess with a buddy across the country!

Of course, postage stamps were only 3 cents back then!  ;D :eek:  ::)

Not too many people know this but Ringo Starr has been an avid photographer and postcard collector his whole life. He had the other three Beatles sending him postcards from all over and he put some of them into a book.

https://www.amazon.com/Postcards-Boys-Ringo-Starr/dp/081184613X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=postcards+ringo&qid=1566328151&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Back
Top Bottom