Do you worry about your rig/gear when boondocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcmusa

When at a dispersed site and you are gone for the day, is your grea, rig ok?
anyone have any thing stolen, tampered with.

When at a dispersed site and you are gone for the day, is your grea, rig ok?
anyone have any thing stolen, tampered with.
I often think about such, as I have a couple of thousand bucks worth of ham gear inside and I set up an outside antenna with a coax going into a partly open window. But I have been okay so far.

BTW, I recently drilled a hole by the step that I can run my antenna lead out from and now I close all the windows, but that does little other than keep honest people from being tempted. The antenna alone is more than $500.00.

And I recently bought some outside solar that will often be outside my RV. A couple of hundred bucks worth. So I am always somewhat of a target for some thieves, with some stuff right out in the open and the antenna shows there could be expensive stuff inside, but so far, no problems, knock on wood.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I’m always concerned.....there are thieves everywhere! I’m especially concerned that I may catch them in the act! :unsure:

I use a 5th wheel lock ( though not impenetrable) on the camper, spare propane tank (winter camping) locked with a braided, cut-resistant cable, and store easily taken items! memtb

Last edited:
Although we have never had any issues while boondocking, it is a concern, but does not keep us from boondocking and taking off for a day. We use our concern to make smart and practical decisions. We also have two big Akitas that stay in the rig many times we leave.

A can of pepper spray will discourage them. If thieves want it badly enough they will get it, increased security measures just mean more damage. Put it away out of sight and have adequate insurance then get on with your day. Remember, it's just 'stuff' that can be replaced.

We never worried much about random theft in an area that appears nominally safe. We try to be smart about what we leave on display, but also refuse to be captive to our fears. We are willing to risk loss of some minor possession in order to enhance our enjoyment. Besides, major stuff is insured.

We have the luxury to avoid places that appear risky, though, so that's a help for us. If we didn't feel safe enough to enjoy an area freely, we would leave.

Most thefts of RV stuff is opportunists that pass by and see something that they can make a quick buck off of and get rid of easily. Either boon docking somewhere, or even in a crowded RV campground. Beach campsites seem to be favorite targets in Ca. Generators and high dollar bikes (especially electric) seem to be among the favorites.

We are Canadian snowbirds and Boondock almost exclusively in the desert around Quartzsite (at least until covid, anyway 😁). The further away from other campers, the better. 😊 We have never had a break in, and have never had anything stolen.

With that said, we never leave anything of value in plain sight. If we need to be away, my laptop is out of sight in a storage area, and our Honda generator is in a metal box in the back of the truck that we drive away in.

I have been on this forum since the days that it was part of Compuserve. I've never heard of anyone having their whole rig stolen.

So, like others have said, have reasonable insurance coverage, take reasonable precautions, and don't worry about it more than that.

In over 25 years of RVing I've never had any problems with things walking away while boondocking. But when I'm in a commercial campground with others nearby I often practice the "canary in a coal mine" technique, leaving a couple of things of low value outside my rig when I'm away. If they disappear I know I need to be vigilant, if not I don't worry too much about possible thefts.

Day time thieves broke into a freind's Winnebago while it was parked near the Gateway Arch in St Louis.

We don't worry about it, lost a bicycle that was chained to our rig in a Elks lodge, another bicycle walked away in Quartzsite (down town) not chained, try to be as safe and secure as you can, there are no guarantees in these times.

We haven't had any issues although we tend not to be in areas without a few others being around.

We have been out exploring sites to move to and have maybe had a bad vibe about it or the people already there so just avoid and find somewhere we are comfortable with.

I know it sounds awful to be so judgemental but I'd rather be careful.

It never ceases to amaze me when I come back to see intact windows and doors and nothing stolen, and the entire rig still there for that matter. I have boondocked in sketchy out of the way places in the middle of deserts and long views. Maybe there are so few people that I have not had enough people see the rig to be significant.
People are always stand-offish of each other's space and privacy when boondocking. Its lonely out there. lol. So, it is rare for anyone to approach my rig, if Im in it or I assume not.
Big 4x4 pickup that looks like a gum owner would own might provide some protection because a thief never knows.
I boondock to go and do stuff. I dont know what people are doing just sitting in their rig all day long. Maybe most boondockers are in their rig, so more rare to come across an empty one???

No.
We have not left the rig overnight, just all day. Nothing ever taken. We boondock in some pretty remote places where you seldom see another vehicle pass by, let alone miscreants.
The gennies, bikes, etc are chained to the rig at the back, away from the road. Throw a camo tarp over them (a couple yards of camo cloth from a fabric store). That hides the shape and color from any casual passersby. Won't really fool anyone that slows to take a look.
Only one time we returned to camp and found a couple of strange footprints around our campsite, with nothing taken.

The only time we have been broken into and anything stolen was in the storage park with video surveillance. As it turns out, our door was at a video blind spot. The thief (presumably a homeless, they were in the area) took advantage of the blind spot, broke the door and took the TV and a few other minor things. Missed my tools and other stuff more valuable than the TV.

5th wheels and TT's suffer the worst. When the tow rig is gone, you know the trailer is likely unoccupied.

Wherever we are, we're always on the lookout. When we camp around other people and they take off and leave stuff all over, we keep an eye out for them when we can.

Back
Top Bottom