Dodge Durango + Lance 1995 - Will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtbikelover

I've spent the last few hours reading and running different calculators but I am just not getting it and I know you all have a lot of info and understanding of this.

We are planning to purchase the Lance 1995 trailer in the next few years but will need to buy the tow vehicle next year due to needing an extra car in the family. We know we want it to be an SUV versus a truck.  We are considering the Dodge Durango 8 cyl. AWD. The specs that I have found are:

Vehicle:
GVWR 7,100
Curb weight 5,381
Fuel capacity 24.6 gal
Payload 1,300
Towing Capacity 7,200

Trailer:
GVWR 5,700
Dry weight 4,265
Hitch dry weight 390
Axle wight 3,875
Cargo carrying 1,435

There will be 2 adults and a dog in the car so approx 350 lbs. Plus extra gear that I have no idea on weight yet.

Will this vehicle work for towing the camper?

Thanks so much for your help!

The figures for the vehicle are the maximum for that type, the one you purchase may be somewhat less depending on how you option it. Where do you plan to travel? On flat ground with little or no wind you will probably be ok, the western plains or mountains could be a whole new ball game. Our first trailer was within the published specs of our tow vehicle but two trips into the mountains convinced us otherwise.

Roy M said:
The figures for the vehicle are the maximum for that type, the one you purchase may be somewhat less depending on how you option it. Where do you plan to travel? On flat ground with little or no wind you will probably be ok, the western plains or mountains could be a whole new ball game. Our first trailer was within the published specs of our tow vehicle but two trips into the mountains convinced us otherwise.
We already looked at it this weekend and with the towing package and spec'd out, those are the right numbers.

We are planning to travel all over so not just on flat ground.

What am I missing as it feels like I am 1,500lbs under the capacity of the SUV?

If the Durango numbers come from the yellow sticker on the driver's side, and the manual, you should be OK on weights depending on how many people and how much cargo you put in the Durango. Add people, cargo and a hitch weight of 6-700 at gross trailer weight to see where you stand. If you carry much you'll be within 4-500 of your cargo limit

Back2PA said:
If the Durango numbers come from the yellow sticker on the driver's side, and the manual, you should be OK on weights depending on how many people and how much cargo you put in the Durango. Add people, cargo and a hitch weight of 6-700 at gross trailer weight to see where you stand. If you carry much you'll be within 4-500 of your cargo limit
Thanks!

Where did the number come from on the Durango?  Salesman?  Literature?  Actual vehicle labels?

NEVER trust a salesman on such matters!
If it is literature, those specs are for a base trim line and no options.
Any source other than the yellow placard is suspect.

With that said, even if it is literature data for the correct body and drive train, you may be okay.  When on the lot again, pick a model close to what you want and check the GVWR and Payload placards.

Assuming 300# of options, that lowers Payload to 1,000# and tow capacity to 6,900#
Assume a 700# tongue wt (12.2% of GVWR)
The Durango will be carrying 700# tongue wt, 350# passengers and pet plus a WD hitch.
In this case, you are 100# overweight

If the 1300# payload is correct, then you are 200# below payload.

I suspect the Payload may be correct because, according to your specs, 7100 GVWR  minus 5400 curb wt (rounded up) = 1700# Payload.  Deduct 400# for options, and BINGO!

As others have said, it also depends on where you plan to travel.  While it may be great in Iowa or Florida, it will likely leave you wanting more in Colorado and Wyoming.

Keep asking question until you understand the answers and methods!!

Back
Top Bottom