Dodge Ram 2500 vs 3500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerTX

I know this has been discussed in great detail. Apologies for duplicate post, but I'm doing some VERY early research on 3/4 ton vs full ton. Currently have half ton and 29 foot TT. Works great but know can't go any more than that. Still new at RVing. Thinking at some point want to upgrade to an either bigger TT or a smaller end 5th wheel. Feel like when I do decide to pull the trigger, need truck 1st then determine what size TT or 5th wheel I can accommodate. That said, alot of the ram 3500 trucks I'm looking at are diesel. Maybe that's just because thats what's available in my area? Assuming 3500 Ram comes in gas? 1st question. 2nd question- most 2500 Rams I see are 8 speed and most 3500 diesel are 6 speed. Is this even a concern when it comes to pulling RV? Again sorry for long post, just researching in early stages. Thanks for any input.

3500 for sure. Gas might do the job, but at a price. That price is horrible gas milage. The Cummins/68RFE combo with 3.72 RE ratio should return low to mid 20s empty, and 11 to 15 towing. The gas motor will return you maybe 16 empty and if your really lucky 8 towing.

You really are doing it backwards. You should find a camper that you want and suits your needs, then get the appropriate truck to be able to haul it. If you have the truck first, then find a camper that is just the bees knees (what the heck is/are the bees knees anyway), but it's too big/heavy for the truck, you are screwed.

That being said, if you can afford it, 3500 all the way. And don't limit yourself to just the Ram. Unless you are a die-hard Mopar guy, at least give the other two a test drive. You never know...you might like what you see.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Diesel power is simply more capable and thus better suited to a bigger truck. If you need the weight carrying and greater towing capability of a 2500 or 3500, diesel is the way to go. Yes, there are gas-powered big trucks, but they aren't as common as diesels.

If you travel a lot, choose the trailer first and make sure you get a truck capable of towing it. If most of your truck use is something other than RV towing, then it probably makes more sense to prioritize those other demands ahead of trailer-towing and choose the truck first.

A one-ton diesel dually truck gives you the most flexibility in trailer size. Whether you need that much truck is a harder question. A 3/4 ton diesel will handle most any TT or mid-size 5W nicely. The limiting factor on a 5W is cargo capacity, because a 5W places much more weight on the truck bed (20%-25% of the trailer gross weight). If you think a 5W is in your future, pay close attention to the Cargo Capacity (payload) rating; there is often a substantial difference between what seems to be near-identical trucks.

I agree, pick your trailer first then size the tow vehicle accordingly. You'll spend a lot more time in the trailer than the truck. That has to be happy.
I'm a diehard Ford guy, love my Superduty's. I'm on my 3rd, a 21 SCrew, long bed, long wheelbase, 6.7 diesel dually. I do not even know the 18k I tow is behind me.
BUT, the RAM is certainly an option. The Cummins is an almost bulletproof platform, and RAM has come a long way. They will still rust out faster than anything else though.
Your comment about 6 speed VS 8, you'll find diesel has so much more capability that even 6 speed is enough. My 21 has a 10 speed, my '16 only had 6. Both were (are) very good . When towing, my '21 uses all 10. Daily driving, it skips several in-between gears as it shifts, so it's a 6 speed for all practical purposes.
My good friend bought a new Chevy High Country Dually 4 door long bed with the Duramax/Allison. He tows RV's across the country from Elkhart to everywhere. It does the job very (VERY) well, with zero drama.
It's a wash. The Chevy Allison trans fluid is expensive, my Ford does fine on 17. a gallon Valvoline from WM. Chevy makes up when you change engine oil, 2.5 gallons of 5w40, where the Ford takes 14 quarts. 10k changes for the Chevy, 7.5 for the Ford because Ford injects diesel on the exhaust stroke for DPF regen and it dilutes the oil, where RAM and Chevy use an injector in the exhaust to inject for regen. Oil lasts longer.
My Ford wins in the BAF (Big a** fuel) tank though. 49 gallons from the factory. To get that in Chevy or RAM, you'll be buying an aftermarket Titan or other tank.
Try them all. When you are at that level, the differences are more personal preference than outright advantages.
And good luck finding your hardware. It's a search, but worth it in the end.

It does get confusing. I have an American market 2500HD which is a 3500 derated for license purposes, it was classed as a passenger vehicle not commercial although it has the same suspension, rear end and brakes. The catch in BC is passenger vehicles over 60 grand which covers most new 3/4 ton trucks are subject to a luxury tax, one tons are exempt so similarly equipped F-350/3500,sare actually cheaper. As a result the dealers don't stock F-250/2500's.

Back
Top Bottom