Does a 5er need to be well balanced when storing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

I'm back with more questions, thanks for the patience y'all have shown this newbie!!!

We have a 2004 36' K&Z New Vision 5er. I pulled it to the storage lot today where it'll stay til I pick it up next weekend to practice backing up, parking it and just all around getting used to it being back there.

The question is, I noticed when I dropped the front stabilizer legs that one side was about half an inch shorter then the other due to the ground being uneven. As I lowered the legs I could hear the 5er creaking. Not earth shattering, tree splitting creaks, but noise non the less. How even/balanced does it need to be side to side?

Also, how important is it for the 5er to be balanced front to back? If the front is 3 - 6 inches higher then the back, will this cause structural damage or create leaks?

In a nut shell, how balanced should it be when parked? While camping I assume it's pretty important, but in storage?

Thanks again,
Eddie

N Smock

Eddie

When dropping the front struts use the pins in the strut to extend them to get as close to the ground a possible on each side. As you noticed failure to do this will torque the trailer frame, not a good practice. From the sounds of it you did not use the pins to extend the legs so that the legs have equal clearance to the ground. On some occasions you need to use the motor to extend the jacks before you use the pins to extend the struts, this is for very unlevel ground.

First after spotting the trailer, put the truck in reverse with the service brake on. Use the controller lever to apply the trailer brakes full, release the service brake gently apply the gas then set the truck emergency brake and shift to park and let up on the trailer brake. The result of this is to ram the pin forward in the hitch making the release handle easy to pull.. When you park the trailer use boards under the tires to set the side to side level, this can be skipped if storing.  Use the motor or crank to extend the strut about 3-6 inches, use the pins in the strut to extend the legs to the ground. Use a square piece of wood under the strut foot to spread the load. Use the  motor or crank to extend the legs to point where the load starts to release from the hitch then when there is a small clearance between the pin and plate disconnect the safety cable and the power cable and pull the truck forward and clear. Retract the jacks to the point where the unit is level fore and aft.

<Also, how important is it for the 5er to be balanced front to back? If the front is 3 - 6 inches higher then the back, will this cause structural damage or create leaks?>

Fore and aft slope is not a problem in storage, very undesirable for living in, always walking up or down hill, fridge won't work properly. Also not good if you plan to come a day early and fire up the fridge to chill it before using it.

Nelson

elm_tx

I did use the pins to drop the legs first, but because of the uneven ground one leg is about half an inch closer to the ground then the other, I did place a pair of 2" x 6"'s beneath each leg.

So it sounds like I need to carry some extra pieces of wood to shim up under the front legs. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the info!

N Smock

elm_tx said:
I did use the pins to drop the legs first, but because of the uneven ground one leg is about half an inch closer to the ground then the other, I did place a pair of 2" x 6"'s beneath each leg.

So it sounds like I need to carry some extra pieces of wood to shim up under the front legs. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the info!

Eddie

Half an inch is no problem.

Nelson

BigDieselDawg

You can also use this... http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Driving-Your-RV/Jacks--Leveling/Chocks--Levelers/Fifth-Wheel-Leg-Leveler/skunum=17329

I have one of these on my passenger Driver's side leg and makes it VERY easy to make sure the legs have the equal amount of stress on them.

I also use these  http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm/Driving-Your-RV/Jacks--Leveling/Stabilizing-Jacks/Snaps-Spring-Loaded-Pins/prodID=1496

to make it easier to lock and level the legs

Hope this helps

John From Detroit

If you are worried about that 1/2 inch I'd toss a square of plywood under that jack just before the other one hits the ground,  As someone else said 1/2 inch is not much. but it is a standard thickness for a plywood square so why worry?

Alternatives exist as well, You can (And should) pick up a set of jack pads, these are usually about 1 foot sqrare (But in truth can be larger or smaller) and the commericial ones are plastic but again lumber works (i like 2x8) which you lay on the ground under the hjacks to keep them from sinking ioto and/or freezing to the ground.  Some of these are about 1/2 inch as well, put one under the one jack, two under the other and you got it

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
In a nut shell, how balanced should it be when parked? While camping I assume it's pretty important, but in storage?

Sorta leveled.  1/2 inch would not make any difference even when camping.  I guarantee you that I have never leveled my trailer within a half inch ever. 

By the way, the term is leveled.  There are balance issues with a trailer, but they refer to weights and loads.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Eddie,

The main reason to "level" an RV is the refer. If it is not on it doesn't make any difference if it's off slightly. Your 1/2" won't cause any problems You could be several inches off without any adverse affects if the refer is off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAYR8891!
Top Bottom