Does anybody have an opinion on this type antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...but on a high enough antenna mount (say 250 foot) with a totally flat surface (such as a calm sea) you might get reception at 990 miles...
There is no such thing as a "totally flat surface", even at sea. At 990 miles, the curvature of the earth comes into play. Broadcast signals in the TV bands travel in straight lines. They do not follow the curvature of the earth. At 990 miles, those signals could only be received at 620,000 feet in the air (619,120.4 feet to be exact) because the earth has "curved away" from the straight line path of those signals. Don't believe me? Click here to see the actual calculation.

This is why this "990 miles" specification is so ridiculous. It is electronically and physically impossible for ANY antenna to pick up signals on the TV band that originate from 990 miles away, even if it is 250 feet in the air.

Believe it or not, simply rabbit ear/bowtie antennae work just as well for HD signals - however the world has jumped on trying to make everyone believe there is something magical about HD - even thought the physics of wave propagation and reception have remained the same.

Here's a good read -

Believe it or not, simply rabbit ear/bowtie antennae work just as well for HD signals - however the world has jumped on trying to make everyone believe there is something magical about HD - even thought the physics of wave propagation and reception have remained the same...
Absolutely true! In fact, a metal coat hanger would work just as well as this fancy ”HD Antenna.”

Here’s a hint…there is no such thing as an “HD antenna.”

Bill, in Lake Havasu City the only reception you'll have is from translators that relay Phoenix stations and their subchannels over the mountains. Any antenna should receive them - you don't need anything special. They're on the same peak along old Route 66 (north of I-15) that has the transmitter for country station KJJJ 102.3 FM.

Go to antennaweb.org, input your address (I just used generic LHC) and see if those translators north of I-40 make it down the valley to your house. They probably do, if I remember correctly that's a pretty tall peak.

If they do, you don't need anything special to receive them. I'd go to Walmart and get one of their $20 indoor antennas, attach it to one of your TV, do a channel scan and see if it picks up all of the translators. If it doesn't, take advantage of Walmart's liberal policy and return it. If it does work, leave it on that TV and see if there is enough variety between the main stations and their subchannels to satisfy you. Then you can think about installing a roof antenna and distributing it to the rest of your TVs. Again, check with Walmart to see what they have. They won't stock something that doesn't work locally.

The very first review stated "This is a company that offers a reward for a 5 star review".

320 miles? Utter BS.

You can make a better antenna out of a coat hanger.

Lou,

I really only posted about this kind of antenna because Renae was sure that it would be an alternative to our $200 a month DirecTV at our house. I never really seriously considered it. We have seven TVs and use a wireless Super Genie and I was sure that the OTA was not going to be a very good replacement but I thought I could use some ammunition in the form of answers from the Forum to convince her.

It worked, Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom