Does anyone have info on how to disable the autodefrost on a Norcold?1210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Bhfromme said:
Another amp draw I learned about today is the heating element in the Dometic fridge. It's function is to prevent condensation build up inside the fridge but dry campers like us can certainly live without it.

I had to replace my Norcold a couple years ago (under warranty fortunately) and was not happy to hear about the "autodefrost cycle over which I had no control. I understand there's a a power draw, but also the fridge heats up. I have wireless thermometers with alarms for both the freezer and the fridge, and they show high and low temp since last reset, and you can see the temps. Incredible to have a fridge which is already working hard, then let it get warm. I'll do my own defrosting thank you.

With regard to what Bhfromme commented, does anyone have info on how to disable the autodefrost on a 1210 without damaging anything? (As I mentioned my fridge is only a couple years old so wouldn't want to create warranty issues.)

That happens every two days and is shut down for 4 hours. The only way to bypass that is cycle power every two days before the process starts, or install an ARP that does that cycle on the background

SCVJeff said:
That happens every two days and is shut down for 4 hours. The only way to bypass that is cycle power every two days before the process starts, or install an ARP that does that cycle on the background

Interesting. I have an ARP but had to disconnect it when the new fridge was put in as I found out that it was incompatible with the new model number. A new ARP has been on my to-do list. So you?re saying that the ARP power cycles specifically to circumvent the auto defrost or as part of a different function?

ARP is an advanced boiler temperature controller for absorption-type fridges. It does a superior job of temperature control and provides much greater protection against fridge fires than the standard Norcold logic board (including those with the fire recall safety fix).  See arprv.com

gravesdiesel said:
Could you just disconnect power to the heating element?
in the 1200 you merely lay a piece of tape over the contacts to the door, that stops the heating element on the flapper, but that doesn?t stop the self-defrost cycle

SCVJeff said:
in the 1200 you merely lay a piece of tape over the contacts to the door, that stops the heating element on the flapper,

Thank you, that was my next question

Back
Top Bottom