Does anyone know what this switch is for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

I have a 2007 Denali fiver and I have not been able to find what this switch does. The one above the slide-out switches. Can anyone help. See picture.

Attachments

• resized.JPG
    resized.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 133
I'm going to guess outside speakers, possibly ceiling fan but doesn't look like high voltage rheostat

Thanks for your reply. I have no outside speakers and I tried for fan did not do anything.

sc4668 said:
Thanks for your reply. I have no outside speakers and I tried for fan did not do anything.

Almost certain it's low voltage (which could be confirmed by pulling switch out and looking at the wires). Bedroom speakers perhaps. Overhead vent fan? Dimmer for lighting?

I just tried again to see what it does. Checked all lights and fan no difference also no back speakers. Still working on finding out what it does. Now I am curious will eventually find what it does LOA.

Looks exactly like the dimmer knobs for the ceiling lights in our Arctic Fox travel trailer. If it is, then it is a pulse-width modulated dimmer control that works great on incandescent lights, and can work with the proper type of LED lights. It will not be an audio control, because of the type of controller. Do you have any lights anywhere that dim when you turn that knob? Do you have any lights anywhere that do not work?

I turned on all the lights ( I changed to LED) and turned the dimmer and nothing changes. Maybe it is broken. All the way left you can feel it click turning to the right it clicks on but no change anywhere. I guess I need to troubleshoot farther.

It may well be defective. A pulse-width modulated dimmer control will fry an incompatible LED light in no time. you might try putting incandescent lights back in that circuit to see if that makes a difference, although I doubt that it will.

Do you have more controllers that look like that elsewhere in your RV? Can you swap one of them to see if that makes a difference?

It is the only one and has not done anything since we got the RV a couple years ago even with the incandescent bulbs.

You mean that it has no effect at all? Turning it past the click position does not turn the lights on? It also does not turn any lights off?

Do you have more controllers of the same type elsewhere in the trailer? How do they function?

Edit: I just realized that you said it was the only one. Sorry.

That is correct it does nothing. Tomorrow I will pull the switch out and see if there are any wires connected to it. Maybe the previous owner by passed it when it went bad. What is strange is the owners manual does not say anything about this switch.

Yeah, then I really don't know. Our trailer has a micro switch in the panel below the kitchen sink. It basically turns on a blue indicator light. When I asked the original owner about it, he just said that it was a light. Yeah, I don't think so. It must have done something at some time. However, it has never caused me an issue, so I have never bothered investigating it.

It is possible it isn't connected to anything.  Perhaps a "standard" switch available for an "optional" item?  Some of the newer trucks come with "upfitter" switches. They are there but not connected to anything.

sc4668 said:
I turned on all the lights ( I changed to LED) and turned the dimmer and nothing changes. Maybe it is broken. All the way left you can feel it click turning to the right it clicks on but no change anywhere. I guess I need to troubleshoot farther.
sc4668
Likely the LEDs you used are NOT dimable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom