Does LPG go "bad"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I understand the issue of algae growth in diesel fuel left sitting in a tank for long periods and use biocide to prevent this. Does anything bad happen to LPG left sitting in a tank?

Our LPG usage is such that we fill up once a year, so some LPG sits in our tank for at least that amount of time.

Thanks for the data point Ron. Now that I think about it, we've had a BBQ propane tank sit around for some time.

I've never heard of LPG going bad in the sense that gas or diesel can go bad over time.  There will be an accumulation of water condensation in the tank over the years, but as I understand it, water condensation is less of a problem if you seldom have to refill the tank.  The less you refill it, the less water is introduced.

Thanks Gary. Not being a chemist, I really had no idea.

There are 3 problems with old LP tanks

1: You can't refill them if they have passed the expriation of their last inspection
2: You can't refill them if they have the wrong valve (outlet)
3: They changed the outlet valve fitting a couple of years ago so new hardware wont' mate with them (Adapters can be purchased, I have one new and in the package)

as for the gas... Never heard of it going bad

Good question Tom.  the campground we are in has very little traffic.  They have a huge propane tank at the entrance which gets hardly any business at all.  One of the fellows who spends the summer season here says he goes into town to fill up because he thinks this campground tank is stale.  We have been debating filling up on the way out.

We love this campground because it is so remote and so empty and in such a lovely setting.  But not sure I would want to buy anything here.  ;D

Smoky:  What campground, where?  Seems sad that it doesn't do a good business.  How do they stay open?  How's the weather?

--pat

Karl said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Propane is a stable gas/liquid and, unlike your auto gas tank, it's under pressure so it doesn't suck in moist air when you draw from it - maybe a smidge is introduced when refilling.

Might add to that, the following taken from the propane article in Wikipedia:

After it is produced, North American propane is stored in massive salt caverns located in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada, Mont Belvieu, Texas, and Conway, Kansas. These salt caverns were hollowed out in the 1940s and can store up to 80 million barrels of propane, if not more.When the propane is needed, most of it is shipped by pipelines to other areas of the Midwest, the North, and the South, for use by customers. Propane is also shipped by barge and rail car to selected U.S. areas.

In short, your propane has already sat around huge underground carverns for a spell.  US propane is pure propane except for the odorant.  There is nothing there to breakdown over time, unllike liquid gasoline which is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons and additives.

Pat:

We are at Ausable RV campground just off route 9n near I87.  Most of their business are local weekenders who leave their rigs here all summer (and maybe through the winter when they are closed).  On any given weekend there might be 5 or 6 families here.  But they pay for the season.  In 2 weeks we have only seen one transient come in.  We have the ENTIRE transient area to ourselves, which makes it wonderful .... we can stretch out on to other sites on either side, and Sky has virtually the run of the open area.  I guess they get enough from the seasonal weekenders that they make out.  It is not a lush resort type campground, but it abounds in beauty, solitude, and lovely river life.  I will stay here any time I am passing through.  Our Adirondack thread has pictures of the campground.

Thanks all for the encouragement on the propane.  I may try it, but the tank is on the wrong side for departing, and in a very muddy area.  Not sure we want to try it on our way out.

Smoky (and others)
I take back my previous response about propane gonig bad. It's much like single-malt Scotch whisky - anything beyond oh, say, eight years, has probably gone bad. As a public service, send it to me postpaid and I will dispose of it properly. Blended Scotch need not apply ;D ;D ;D

Karl:

Now I have it figured out, you confuse single malt with LPG. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom