Does the generator supply unstable power during startup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drawing a load while the rotor is turning more slowly only further increases the stress since the AVR is already supplying more exciter current to try and keep the voltage up.
As I said before, all that I have to go on is 14 years of using the exact same setup as the original post and 12 of those fulltime.

I suspect that most Class C motorhomes, and virtually all older ones, had the system where you plugged the shore cord into the generator outlet. My Winnebago View had this and it worked quite well after I rotated the generator receptacle 90° so that when the shore cord was coiled into the compartment, that the plug naturally fell into position to plug in without twisting or contorting the cord.

I learned to always plug in the shore cord to the generator when stowing it, this way it was ready for a lunchtime road side stop or whatever else I might use the generator for before the next campground or home. Its simply a good habit to develop.

Now I had also installed a Progressive HW-30 power management system that had a built in time delay to protect the airconditioner (which can be disabled if your A/C has a time delay built in), so I never had any concerns about generator stabilizing or other issues. The Progressive gave the generator 136 seconds to be ready to power the MH. I did make sure the A/C, water heater, etc., was turned off before hand.

This is a good habit to be in, time delay or not, you simply need to make sure the water heater and A/C are turned off first. Other loads, such as the power converter and fridge are small enough to not be an issue, and you will always be ready for the next stop, be it a parking lot keeping the coach cool while you are buying groceries, or the next non-power campground. No jumping out, running around back, unlocking an access door and fiddling with a cord.

My current trailer also had a similar "plug into the generator setup" but I converted to a removable shore cord due to the super small compartment the cord stowed in, so in the rewiring process I installed an ATS and it has a 30 second delay.

Charles

Attachments

• EMS HW30 installation.jpg
    EMS HW30 installation.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
this way it was ready for a lunchtime road side stop or whatever else I might use the generator for before the next campground or home.
It's best to not run the genny for a short run. One of the reasons I put in a 300AH lith battery and large inverter in both of my RVs.

I rarely use the genny for anything other than the once per month loaded run to keep the moisture out. But I am sure it will get some use the next time I spend a few weeks at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument to recharge it.

-Don- ABQ, NM

Check the generator outlet with a vom while you’re firing it up and see how long it takes to get up to its regulated voltage and stabilize.

It's best to not run the genny for a short run. One of the reasons I put in a 300AH lith battery and large inverter in both of my RVs.

I rarely use the genny for anything other than the once per month loaded run to keep the moisture out. But I am sure it will get some use the next time I spend a few weeks at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument to recharge it.

-Don- ABQ, NM
I am of the school that if you have it, and need it, then use it. A few short runs will not hurt it. Moisture gets in it when it is in relatively cold air and gets driven into warm, moist air, then you get condensation. Kinda like Diesel engines should not be frequently started and stopped, it happens, and you gotta deal with it. I don't argue against a generator needing a good long run once in a while to clear out the fuel system, warm it up and boil any moisture out of the motor oil or windings, but being scared to use it because you are only going to run it for a short while............. nah, I'll use it when I need it.

Charles

Have you, perhaps, plugged a light into the generator (camper outlet) and watched to see if the light turns on as the gen is cranking or does it wait 20 seconds as one forum user claims yours should?
The old generators would make the light flicker as the gen got up to speed and then glow steady in a few seconds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom