does this sound like an ok deal to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baadpuppy

1988 coachmen classic 30' motorhome, chevy (454 I think).  15000# GVWR, 10000# Rear GAWR, 5000# Front GAWR.

Needs 7 tires 8R19.5D.  Rims seem fine, tires are rotted. (spare rim is bolted on back, tired missing)

26,000 miles.

Double or queen size (not sure which) in rear bedroom.  Generator missing.  All new batteries.  No leaks, but there was a small roof leak when the owner bought it that they sealed.  No soft spots in floor or sides or ceiling (didn't climb on top as I weigh a lot).  Single A/C.  30A feed.  coach/chassis batter switching system in good shape.  Chassis made in Jan 1988, coach made in Mar 1988.  Class 3 hitch properly installed.

Some of the panels on the outside are aged and weathered and don't seal as well as I'd like.  I think I can fix that though.  The engine cranks on first key turn and purrrrrrs.  Better than the pickup truck I have with the same basic engine.  Mirrors in excellant shape.  Fridge/freezer is 3-way and works with all 3 power sources.  The owner and his gf (his gf is my cousin) have camped in it several times, both in an RV park hooked up, and without hooking up, and they both say all the tanks work.  However, when the fresh water tank is full, one of the pipes to it drips slowly.  I don't know how difficult that would be to fix or how much of a show stopper it would be.

Looks like the chassis was lubricated at least yearly, and oil changed at least yearly.  There is no microwave, but propane stove and oven.  An aftermarket 12" or so 110v/12v tv is installed above the driving compartment.  Visibility from the front seats is excellant down both sides.

He's asking the public for 4750.00, but will let me have it for 4500.00.

The matress is extremely soft, but I still have the firm mattress from the 32' TT I lived in for a year.  The interior of this MH feels roomier than the TT did.  The floor plan is nicer.  The power system seems to be in great shape.

The front curtain is missing.  I don't know how hard it will be to find a replacement.

Supposedly the bathroom plumbing all works properly.

The owner says it drives nicely.  I'm scared to drive it with the tires that are on there, and would replace them before doing anything else (once he gets it to my house after I decide to buy it).

The nice thing about this deal is that we're working out how I would trade my 1993 dodge dakota towards the purchase price, and make payments for a few months for the balance, so I don't have to have the money up front.  This way I can start working on it sooner.

So... opinions?

Thanks!
jim

Edit: just remembered a few things:  There is a VA inspection sticker good through october of this year.  The radio in the dash has been upgraded to a cd player.  I did go by the buying a used motorhome guide as much as I could.  His home is by the marsh, and insects (and heat) were killing me.  Here at the house I have the proper hookups to really test it and I would make any sale contingent on me being satisfied with what I find in the first week.  I know he'll go for that.

Guess I'll be the 1st bubble breaker  NOT from me  he wouldn't get it  unless your truck is worth almost the same value.  Tires aren't cheap  and then without the Genset, Not cheap either.  The front drapes are another cost. Still you've got the plumbing problem.  You might wind up investing some serious bucks.  But then that's just me and my opinion.  Low miles certainly doesn't help it.  I have 30K on a 98 and that's really not good either. But then it's up to you we are not the one in the market for it.  Good luck in what you decide.

From what you describe I would continue looking.  Sounds to me like it has set more than be used.  Missing genset makes me wonder what else may have been cannibalized from this coach.  Aside from all the negative things you mentioned I don't think a Coachman is that good of coach anyway so there may very well be much more wrong with it than is visible.  Ron's evaluation and recommendation don't walk but run away from this one.

I'm guessing you are looking for a handyman special so you don't have to put much money in it. Sounds like you've found one that is cheap but needs a lot of work. I'd pass on it.  The new tires alone will add $1400 to the price and I'm not sure it is worth the asking price even with decent tires. Missing genset is a big deal, price-wise. Maybe you don't care if you have one, but the value of the rig is seriously decreased without it.

I think you can find rigs of that vintage in better shape than this one, but I haven't really done any shopping in the under $5000 price range.

y'all have convinced me to keep looking.

I guess I need to learn patience.  Perhaps once I sell my 2 pickup trucks I'll have enough to get a serious start.

Spent some time crusing ebay tonight and that has given me some hope of being able to afford a motorhome this year.

Thanks for everyone's opinion!  It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it was what I needed to hear.

jim

You could always offer him $3000 and leave your phone number. Chances are good he will call back in a few months.  But even at the price I would be leery and think you can do better, even though this one is very low mileage and runs sweet.

Don't be afraid to make low price offers on RVs, whether dealer or private sale. You will get rejected a lot but you are also likely to get call backs (or you can check back in several weeks to see if the seller has softened any).  Most rigs sell at well below the asking price.

And keep watching ebay and contact those whose rigs do not sell the first time (a fair percentage). Negotiate a bit and see what happens.

Bear in mind that if the tires are rotted you might not even be able to drive it to a tire dealer without them blowing.  That adds the cost of a towing job.  If tires on two axles blow, that's an even more expensive tow job.

KodiakRV said:
Bear in mind that if the tires are rotted you might not even be able to drive it to a tire dealer without them blowing.  That adds the cost of a towing job.  If tires on two axles blow, that's an even more expensive tow job.

I've decided to pass on this one.  But I was going to have him drive it to my house (about 20 miles) and then take delivery of the vehicle, so if a tire blew while he was driving it it would be his problem.  And he has a wrecker so he could deal with it.

Once it was here, I planned to put the axles on blocks and remove all the wheels and put them in the back of my chevy C30 (1 ton truck, large bed) and take them somewhere to have the tires replaced.  I have access to air tools here at my parents house, and could've taken care of that.

I figured 7 new tires at 200ish was gonna be 1400, which added to 4500 made the actual cost before a generator become 5900.

I've since found a nice unit selling for 6500 that isn't too far away that I really like a lot better so far.  It's a 1989 cobra malibu 32'.  Found it in rvtrader, ad# 1485905.  I've been in email contact with the seller's son who is selling it for the owner, and he has answered a lot of questions.  I've lined up financing already.  The NADA value with the options he has told me are present is 7853 low, 9484 average.

I plan to email an offer today and start working out a time to go look it over and complete the sale.  I also am making the final sale contingent on my satisfaction.  My father and I will go up to NY to inspect it then drive it back home.  It's about 380 miles away.

So, unless someone here has a reason for me not to get this particular RV, I intend to buy it assuming it doesn't have some undisclosed problem.  I'm hoping to be able to go get it next weekend.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.  I really appreciate it.

jim

I suspect this one has the Genset too.  Be sure to check the date codes on the tires so you know exactly how old they are.  You might even get the seller to do this and let you know.  Good luck.

Way big improvement! Miles ahead!  ;D

Hope you can get a good price and pull the deal off.

It appears that you start off in pretty good shape, with this one. (Trust but verify, of course.) You'll still have plenty to do, maintaining it. That will put you in even better shape, when you trade up, in a year or two. You'll have the education and you'll know what you're doing!  ;D

Stick around on this forum. Talk to the experts, as you go along. Good luck!

Ray D  ;D

Walkingplow said:
Just read the ad; don't think Ford makes a 454 motor, 460 maybe!!!!
Enjoy!
Gerard

Yeah, I saw that too.  The guy is selling it for his mother and doesn't seem to know much about what he is selling.  I fully intend to inspect every inch (except the interior of the black tank, lol) before making a final offer.

I've been waiting on approval from y'all before contacting him to arrange a meeting/inspection/hopeful purchase time for next weekend.

I'll keep y'all informed.  Thanks for all the help!

jim

I fully intend to inspect every inch (except the interior of the black tank, lol) before making a final offer.

We have an article or two in our library that might help with the things to look for when you check things out. Click the Library button above and select Checklists.

Tom said:
We have an article or two in our library that might help with the things to look for when you check things out. Click the Library button above and select Checklists.

printed that out the other day, taking it with me.  I've read most of what is in the library, some bits more than once.

Thanks!
jim

Great Jim. If you find something missing or that needs changing or clarifying while you're using the checklist, please make a note of it and I'll update the one in the library. Thanks.

I responded to email from the seller on Saturday, and haven't heard back.  I tried calling twice last night between 7:30pm and 8pm (I hate calling anyone after 8pm).  No answer, no voicemail.  I sent another email last night via the rvtrader site just in case my personal email was blocked or flagged as spam.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it hasn't sold yet.  I'm finding that my patience is more finite than it should be.

I'll let y'all know if I manage to get this one. 

jim

Finally got ahold of the seller's son on the phone and arranged for a visit to inspect and test drive the motorhome.  I  have the specific address, which when I look in google maps and zoom in as far as the hybrid view will go, I can see the top of the motorhome in the picture.  lol

Anyway, saturday morning my father and I, armed with printouts of the checklist from the library and a bunch of tools and flashlights, will head up to NY to inspect and test drive.

Assuming no major problems, we'll then make an offer.

Assuming they accept our offer, I may be a motorhome owner this weekend!  I'm so excited I can't wait.  I really hope the inspection doesn't turn up anything major.  If it does, I will have to live with being disappointed.

I also have the VIN number.  I've gotten 3 quotes for insurance, and intend to be covered before driving it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support.  And for tolerating my bazillion questions.  :D

bouncing in my chair...
jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom