Dog. BIG dog. What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a route that I would take by bicycle for regular exercise. Along that route was a house whose owner would sit on his front porch while his yappy mutt, probably about 15 lbs. would take care of business. Each time I passed, the mutt would try to chase me down, with the owner sitting there and not saying a word. Eventually, I would just pick up speed before getting there and the little guy couldn't catch up. Well one day I was daydreaming and the mutt caught up to me and was literally nipping at my heel. A quick kick sent him a$$ over tea kettle and I just kept going. The next time he was out when I went by the owner had him on a long lead that stopped him at the edge of the road. It's too bad the dog didn't train as well as the owner

I carry an .22 mini-revolver with shot-shells in the first 2 chambers the other 3 are solid bullets.
My neighbor used to raise Great Danes, he would never let them off-leash outside. A few months ago I read about a Great Dane killing its owner, so ya never know.

That dog is a Rottweiler. But I've known a lot of Rottweilers and most of them were pretty friendly, too.
Yep, I realize that. My comment re. Pits was due to the fact that I've known a number of gentle Pits but never had occasion to get to know a Rottie.

I can't believe none of you old farts haven't been chased by a dog on your bike.
I've ridden my street bike on many a long trek through back country roads and have only been confronted by dogs a few of times. In some cases the dog made a big show, baking and jumping around but never got too close. If I ever felt more threatened, my tactic was not to try to outrun the dog but to get off the bike, keep walking holding the bike between me and the dog.

You might have seen some trainers approach an angry dog with a tennis racket for protection, just in case? That can be effective for sure but not nearly as much protection as my Cannondale shoved in the dog's face. :)

I've had to pop a couple dogs with a BB gun to keep them from killing our outdoor cat. But I've had that BB gun for 60 years so it only has enough power to scare them not break the skin.

I've had to pop a couple dogs with a BB gun to keep them from killing our outdoor cat. But I've had that BB gun for 60 years so it only has enough power to scare them not break the skin.

I do that around here. There are a lot of off leash dogs, which I don't mind, but they don't need to make my property their stomping grounds. The usual suspects see me come out of the house with the BB gun and they bolt.

I do that around here. There are a lot of off leash dogs, which I don't mind, but they don't need to make my property their stomping grounds. The usual suspects see me come out of the house with the BB gun and they bolt.
I wouldn’t put up with it. I’d Contact the local officials and let them deal with it.

I wouldn’t put up with it. I’d Contact the local officials and let them deal with it.
One of the reasons I live in the country is specifically not to have the cops called every time there is a dog out and about. My dogs are off leash all day too. They stay on property 80% of the time but if they do wander into someone's yard I am totally fine with them getting a BB in the butt.

I called the county animal no kill shelter folks once. "We are full. Is the animal threatening any people or livestock? If not we aren't coming. If you want to shelter the animal and try to home it, have at it."

My first — and so far only — dog bite? In a retail store with 2 standard poodles, which I mistakingly figured were friendly. One bit the back of my hand. The owner nicely (??) said, “I’ll get a band aid.” Horsefeathers! As blood is dripping and running. I headed to the ER. Animal control was contacted and his question: “was it the male or female who bit you?” Shame on the store owner — wasn’t the first time her dog bit someone!

And I had forgotten those bike rides with dogs hot on your back tire. Worst was the dog who came out right at the bottom of a very steep hill. Never peddled so crazy but at least I got my heart rate right up to max!

In my experiences doing warranty work on homes way back when, on being told by the owner their dog could be aggressive and my replying no worries, I've got a 22oz. framing hammer hanging here. The dog problem always went away.

60 years ago when I was a kid people were more likely to let their dogs out. There were 5 dogs that were never a problem until they started running in a pack. I was 10 years old riding my bike and ended up bloody at the ER getting stitches in 4 dog bites. If they had taken me down it would have been much worse. The city impounded the dogs for 10 days to check for rabies and my dad couldn't believe those neighbors were mad at us. I firmly believe dogs revert to wolves when they run in a pack.

60 years ago when I was a kid people were more likely to let their dogs out. There were 5 dogs that were never a problem until they started running in a pack. I was 10 years old riding my bike and ended up bloody at the ER getting stitches in 4 dog bites. If they had taken me down it would have been much worse. The city impounded the dogs for 10 days to check for rabies and my dad couldn't believe those neighbors were mad at us. I firmly believe dogs revert to wolves when they run in a pack.
No different from bullies, a bully when alone relies on size ( bullies don't pick on people who can fight back), otherwise they're emboldened by protection in numbers.

A couple months ago there was a beagle-looking dog that started showing up here (we live real rural), so I figured he must belong to a neighbor down the road somewhere and as long as he wasn't bothering anything I figured it was no issue. All he did was chase rabbits through my property, and he couldn't catch them anyway. Two weeks later he showed up with 4 other dogs - one was a big Rottweiler - and I said that was as far as it goes. I typed up a letter and distributed it to every mailbox for a mile on each side of us saying, "Blah, blah...pack of dogs...blah, blah...if you're the owner, or know the owner, tell them that if this doesn't cease by the end of the week Fido won't be coming home Friday night." I've seen the beagle a couple times since then, but the rest of the dogs evaporated almost overnight.

Last edited:
I can't believe none of you old farts haven't been chased by a dog on your bike. Used to happen all the time when I was a kid.
LOL! I do indeed remember that happening and more than a few times. Dogs loved to chase bikes even more than cars! Once a friend was actually knocked off his bike when the dog snapped/pushed at his leg and he lost control. I remember the dog seemed as shocked about the crash as my friend (who had a skinned arm from the fall but no dog bites).

I carry a very stout walking stick with me when Cash and I walk.
I have used it twice, once a dog came after me, once a shepherd attacked Cash. The shepherd avoids us not, no idea what happened to the other dog...

I can't believe none of you old farts haven't been chased by a dog on your bike. Used to happen all the time when I was a kid.

Dogs? Nah. I got regularly chased by a pair of swans. Big, mean and full of rage for anything non-avian. Buggers terrorized all of the neighborhood kids for a couple of years. Local dogs and cats steered well clear!

I once saw a very territorial Tom turkey take ownership of a local roadway. A fairly young driver stopped to wait for it to move, but ol' Tom had no intention of doing so. In frustration, he hot the horn and the bird reacted by approaching the car and picking at the headlight. All this while the passenger, a young lady of about the same age, was freaking out. It was very entertaining

Back
Top Bottom